7mm stw grizzly load

Joe Kondelis

Hey guys. I'll be hunting interior grizz in Alaska this fall. They are North Slope bears so not giants. I do a ton of bear black bear hunting in lower 48 and my 160 grain accubond out of my stw do the trick. im thinking of loading a 175 eldx or 180 grain Berger but just curious what you guys think would be best round for grizz. I'm pretty new to reloading so sorry for sounding clueless.

I'm with Harperc,but I,d add the 160 partition to the list as well as the 175 Speer GrandSlam ,if your wanting more speed consider the Barnes ttsx in 150 grains , Welcome to the forum Joe K !!! & have a Great hunt !,Cheers .

I'm a huge Berger fan and only recently started messing with the Hornady ELD line but for bear I shoot nothing but Nosler Partitions, and it's probably all I'll ever shoot because I have a huge stock pile of 210 and 250's for my 340 Weebee that Bob Hagel built in 1967. The other options Harper mentioned I'd definitely consider along with the partitions if I were you.

I have a pretty good network of guides in Alaska. Actually talked to several last week, we were all in Seattle loading containers bound for Alaska. Following up on last season; Swift A frames followed by Nosler Partitions are the most highly regarded amongst the guides I know. Been that way for as long as I've been fascinated by the subject. Several have a dim view of the monos, typically boils down to a single bad experience.

I black bear hunt in Maine, over bait so close shots. I use a 35 Whelen with
225gr Barnes TSX bullets. The performance is outstanding, always in and out with large exit holes; 3+ inches; and, DRT. I also have shot black bear with the Barnes TSX 180gr out of the 30-06 and with the .358 Winchester the Barnes TTSX 200gr bullets with the same results. At this time I will put the Barnes line of bullets up against any other bullets that I have tried on game. And......"no" this is not an advertisement for Barnes bullets, and.........."no" I don't work for Barnes either, just like these bullets for my particular application and find them affordable to shoot. My second choice for bullets would be the Nosler partition or the Accubonds.

Last edited:
Who are you hunting with?
Personally I would select a bullet capable of deep penetration regardless of heavy bone. My personal experience with Berger's is very limited, two elk. I wasn't impressed with the bullet that struck bone.
Swift A frames and Partitions have a very long history of reliable performance.
Most guides aren't interested in you taking a long range poke on a bear. They will try to get you relatively close. The ultimate accuracy of a bullet like a Berger just isn't needed. Visit with Guy M on here. I think he ended up taking his brooks bear at about 35 yards, it was huge, with his 06.

I personally would chose a bullet with at least 175 grains and bonded or partitioned like the Swift A Frame or the Nosler. what I would want would be a tough bullet that would stay together but would expand after entry. Ballistic Coefficient is not an issue at distances needed/required for the big bears,

The stw is capable of good energy's and velocity But for dangerous game I always recommend staying away from "Max" loads and full length size in case you need a follow up shot and don't wan't to chance a stuck case or some other disaster. I would load hard but not to hard.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts