7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Back to the BT's. I've always had them work great for me. I just picked up a used Sendero in 7STW and intend to start loading the 140's and then see what the 168 VLD's will do.
At least 15 years ago I got fed up with bullets that just passed through.The BT's will also,but because they explode almost , they tear up all the internal organs and blood loss is very fast. I don't mind if they run 50 yards.I've never recovered a bullet, but never worked hard finding a deer.
I've only shot one deer with a Berger, the results were awesome.They come apart too.
If I were hunting larger game I would want to use something like a Accubond, but as BT's get heavier in a given caliber they also have a thicker jacket.
I guess, to each his own, use what you like.

Back to the BT's. I've always had them work great for me. I just picked up a used Sendero in 7STW and intend to start loading the 140's and then see what the 168 VLD's will do.
At least 15 years ago I got fed up with bullets that just passed through.The BT's will also,but because they explode almost , they tear up all the internal organs and blood loss is very fast. I don't mind if they run 50 yards.I've never recovered a bullet, but never worked hard finding a deer.
I've only shot one deer with a Berger, the results were awesome.They come apart too.
If I were hunting larger game I would want to use something like a Accubond, but as BT's get heavier in a given caliber they also have a thicker jacket.
I guess, to each his own, use what you like.

My youngest boy ( 11 at the time) Shot a 1000# 3 year old Bison bull 5 years ago at 310 yards. 7mm Remington Mag 160gr Sierra game King at 2980FPS.
Broke ribs on both sides and stopped just under the hide on the off side, still weighed 154grains and dropped the bull in his tracks. This bullet performance really reminds of the old Nosler solid base, I always had great luck with them before the wheel was re-invented:rolleyes:

I know in my experiences, the 110 AB's in my .257 Wby, and 160 AB's in my 7Mags, have been excellent for whitetails. I have not shot a whitetail with an AB out of my STW, as my first experience with it was horrific meat loss @ 125 yards...So I never took it hunting again, since I bought planning on me and dad taking a trip to Montana, that never happened....Go figure.

Anyway, I will try to get out and shoot some whities at distance with it this year with the 180 Berger VLD's and the 168 VLD's.

I plan on shooting the 168 VLD's out of my 7Mag, and the 115 VLD's out of my .257 Wby.

So, I will keep yall updated on how they do. I will take pics of the entrance and exits, and of the internal collateral damage of the calibers I get to use to shoot them with.

My youngest boy ( 11 at the time) Shot a 1000# 3 year old Bison bull 5 years ago at 310 yards. 7mm Remington Mag 160gr Sierra game King at 2980FPS.
Broke ribs on both sides and stopped just under the hide on the off side, still weighed 154grains and dropped the bull in his tracks. This bullet performance really reminds of the old Nosler solid base, I always had great luck with them before the wheel was re-invented:rolleyes:

284', there are a few guys that still shoot the SGK bullets and for good reason. Accuracy I'd never a problem with a Sierra bullet in my book. In fact, I use the SMK bullets as trial bullets in a rifle that I may have just picked up, or trying out. Usually, if it won't shoot a SMK, it probably is junk to begin with, or its going to be a battle to GET it to shoot. And to me, the game king bullets shoot similar to the SMK's.
I have a few boxes of the old Nosler Solid Base bullets in a few different calibers, and once in a while, I'll toss a few down range. Good old Red box bullets, ( 100 count ), that is!

Ten years ago I shot two bull elk at about 225Yds with ballistic tips. I don't know why but the bullets when through like armour piercing. I hit ribs going in and going out. The entrance and exit holes were the same. I called nosler and told them.They kept trying to tell me the lungs were mush.but they had the same size hole through as the entrance and exit holes. They then told me I used the wrong bullets. I said I did I should have used Barnes and hung up. The only thig I can think of is lead is very hard.preventing expansion. I still have some but just use them for long range gongs.
Brush

Ten years ago I shot two bull elk at about 225Yds with ballistic tips. I don't know why but the bullets when through like armour piercing. I hit ribs going in and going out. The entrance and exit holes were the same. I called nosler and told them.They kept trying to tell me the lungs were mush.but they had the same size hole through as the entrance and exit holes. They then told me I used the wrong bullets. I said I did I should have used Barnes and hung up. The only thig I can think of is lead is very hard.preventing expansion. I still have some but just use them for long range gongs.
Brush

Brush, I guess it depends on who you talk to. I have had people tell me they blew up, and some say, as you did, that they pencil through. There does seem to be a lot of variables, and velocity, and especially TERMINAL velocity plays a big part. Another thing that plays a huge part in ANY bullets terminal performance, is the rate of twist. In any given caliber, take the same bullet, and change the twist rate, and it changes how much, or how little the bullets " upset " on impact. Shoot a 150 grain bullet in a 12 twist, 308, and shoot it in a 10 twist, and the upset will be different. Another thing is how many riflings are in the barrel! Some are 6, some are 5, and even 4.
My first 7 STW Sendero has always shot, and still does shoot 140 CT, and it has never failed me. I'm a little concerned right now, as I just ordered some more of them, as I just ran out. Will these bullets act differently? I hope not! The ones I just ran out of, were bought in 1997, when the CT's first came out, and that was before they started putting them in factory ammo. ( QC ) . Time will tell! take care my friend!:)

A guy from Nosler asked the question one day, " At what time, during the death of the deer, did the bullet fail"?
I'm like you though, if the Nosler won't work, the Barnes will! Count on it!

Totally off subject but I'm so **** excited that I have to share this with the brothers!!!

I jut got notice I was drawn for NM elk in the Valle calderas special lottery!!!!
I don't know what hunt or what weapon but no matter what, it's a sweet deal I think!!!!

Brush, I guess it depends on who you talk to. I have had people tell me they blew up, and some say, as you did, that they pencil through. There does seem to be a lot of variables, and velocity, and especially TERMINAL velocity plays a big part. Another thing that plays a huge part in ANY bullets terminal performance, is the rate of twist. In any given caliber, take the same bullet, and change the twist rate, and it changes how much, or how little the bullets " upset " on impact. Shoot a 150 grain bullet in a 12 twist, 308, and shoot it in a 10 twist, and the upset will be different. Another thing is how many riflings are in the barrel! Some are 6, some are 5, and even 4.
My first 7 STW Sendero has always shot, and still does shoot 140 CT, and it has never failed me. I'm a little concerned right now, as I just ordered some more of them, as I just ran out. Will these bullets act differently? I hope not! The ones I just ran out of, were bought in 1997, when the CT's first came out, and that was before they started putting them in factory ammo. ( QC ) . Time will tell! take care my friend!:)

A guy from Nosler asked the question one day, " At what time, during the death of the deer, did the bullet fail"?
I'm like you though, if the Nosler won't work, the Barnes will! Count on it!
If your worried about exploshions, fragmentation and all the other words that sound like that .......just send a Partition down the tube and call it a day

I have several moose and deer kills with 160 AB out of my STW and all were one shot kills. I have been using the AB's in my .270WSM with great results also. I love them for hunting.

Ok. It gets better. Oct 19-23. Ay legal weapon. 338 lapua may be let out to eat!!!!!

Let's banish him.:D:D:D
No talk of the evil 338's here in the brotherhood:D:D:D

Your stw will shoot flatter if you send the proper pill downrange. lightbulblightbulb
Heck my stw with 140 ab's at 3400 fps will shoot flatter than my 300rum with 225 hdy hpbt's at 3000 fps.:cool:
And it'll still have over 1000 foot pounds at 800 yards.:)

Ok. It gets better. Oct 19-23. Ay legal weapon. 338 lapua may be let out to eat!!!!!

Man, you must be walking in " High Cotton" right about now! I know I would be! But I wouldn't think twice about what rifle I would be taking, it's spelled STW! That animal my friend is what this rifle cartridge was made for. Don't get me wrong, I DO like the 338 LM, but I know the STW will fill that bill! Congrats on the pick! Man, that is really awesome! :)

Gentlemen!!!!! Please remember, my STW is till being built and I am not sure I will get it and have it ready by my hunt. I know my mcwhorter is ready to go!!!
I know that the brothers love their STWs. And I hope the guy is good enought to give me a sweet rifle like y'all have. I am just so excited I wanted to share!! If I can get it sighted and a load built , it will be with me on those NM. Mountains.

Brothers must forgive transgressions in the height of excitement!!!!!! Right