7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

My wife is pretty cool about it. She has just been mad at me because I have put the kids and family first. She has her time away from the kids and stuff, so she wants me to have mine too.

When I was shooting Sporting Clays alot a few years ago, she would go with me.

I have one Winchester clean, will clean the other tomorrow.

They shot it and broke it in for me and sent along the final target:
7AC79E8C-FEB5-4B09-AF52-DE5A3FBC32CC-32542-00002136D5F2E35A.jpg

.266" at 100 yds minus the flyer shooting the 180 grain Berger Hunting VLD.

Mac

Mackgee, I've gotta jump in here. I just got a new 7 STW built by Allan Rovig with McWhorter custom. Stiller action same shadow grass camo McMillan Rem hunter stock, in a lefty. Got a Vortex PST 6-24x50. You'r gun looks awesome. I chose a little bit cheaper option than you.
Got the gun in yesterday, with 40 rnds 180 gr VLD, N570, which shipped separately, and apparently UPS ran over the ammo with something, so now we have 40 rare STW cases destroyed. Allan's sending 2 more boxes tomorrow, and he's about out of cases. Anyway I've seen some talk of necking down 8mm Mag brass down to 7 STW. I bought 50 rnds of Nosler 8mm mag brass, and may buy more once I figure out if this is gonna work for me. I'm not overly experienced in handloading. I have necked it down with full length RCBS die, and came out good, concentric, but with a donut at the neck shoulder junction. I suppose I can fire form, as I dont think the donut will do much for accuracy. I see guy talking about necking down 375 HH brass. If you can neck down 375, can you also neck down 300 HH brass. Right now I can get Nosler 8mm Mag, and Norma 300 HH.
What do you guy's suggest? Aplogies if I've not read all post's on this thread and the asnswer is here.
Been loading for 300 RUM for about a year, and I broke down and went full out MCWhorter custom in 7 STW. At this point I dont know when 7 STW brass will be available, but I dont have time to wait. I have plenty 215's, and N570, but short on brass.
At this point the Nosler 8 mag brass seems to neck down fine, and its available. Would it be good to go ahead and pick up more?
Oh, and I'm brand new to the STW brotherhood. Have yet to fire a round yet. Hopefully will be firing next week.

Mackgee, I've gotta jump in here. I just got a new 7 STW built by Allan Rovig with McWhorter custom. Stiller action same shadow grass camo McMillan Rem hunter stock, in a lefty. Got a Vortex PST 6-24x50. You'r gun looks awesome. I chose a little bit cheaper option than you.
Got the gun in yesterday, with 40 rnds 180 gr VLD, N570, which shipped separately, and apparently UPS ran over the ammo with something, so now we have 40 rare STW cases destroyed. Allan's sending 2 more boxes tomorrow, and he's about out of cases. Anyway I've seen some talk of necking down 8mm Mag brass down to 7 STW. I bought 50 rnds of Nosler 8mm mag brass, and may buy more once I figure out if this is gonna work for me. I'm not overly experienced in handloading. I have necked it down with full length RCBS die, and came out good, concentric, but with a donut at the neck shoulder junction. I suppose I can fire form, as I dont think the donut will do much for accuracy. I see guy talking about necking down 375 HH brass. If you can neck down 375, can you also neck down 300 HH brass. Right now I can get Nosler 8mm Mag, and Norma 300 HH.
What do you guy's suggest? Aplogies if I've not read all post's on this thread and the asnswer is here.
Been loading for 300 RUM for about a year, and I broke down and went full out MCWhorter custom in 7 STW. At this point I dont know when 7 STW brass will be available, but I dont have time to wait. I have plenty 215's, and N570, but short on brass.
At this point the Nosler 8 mag brass seems to neck down fine, and its available. Would it be good to go ahead and pick up more?
Oh, and I'm brand new to the STW brotherhood. Have yet to fire a round yet. Hopefully will be firing next week.
If it were me I'd turn the necks down a bit before necking them down. That should eliminate your problem.

Brass actually flows when you work it with a die so that 1mm of brass has to go somewhere.

The 7mm STW simply is an 8mm Necked down, or was originally until it became a standardized caliber vs a wildcat round.

Hey everyone, I'm new here and just found this, go figure! Just got my STW home a few weeks ago! Had it built kind of on accident but so far love it! 700 action, PTD bolt, sako extractor, custom trigger and rechambered stainless weatherby 7 mag barrel. Everything squared and blueprinted. Shoots like a laser. Still need to upgrade stock and scope but can't say enough good things about it! Can't wait to sift through this thread!

Hey everyone, I'm new here and just found this, go figure! Just got my STW home a few weeks ago! Had it built kind of on accident but so far love it! 700 action, PTD bolt, sako extractor, custom trigger and rechambered stainless weatherby 7 mag barrel. Everything squared and blueprinted. Shoots like a laser. Still need to upgrade stock and scope but can't say enough good things about it! Can't wait to sift through this thread!
Welcome to the forum! You will find tons of good info in this thread. Glad to hear you're enjoying your STW so far. Feel free to post pics of it, over in the STW pictures thread.

If you are looking for brass, Shooters Pro Shop has some Nosler Blems on sale. It looks like they have 3 boxes.

I have bought from them before, as a few months ago I bought some Nosler Trophy Grade 7mm stw with 140 gr partions at a really good price. When I inspected them, I could not find anything wrong with them.

Just giving a heads up.

If you are looking for brass, Shooters Pro Shop has some Nosler Blems on sale. It looks like they have 3 boxes.

I have bought from them before, as a few months ago I bought some Nosler Trophy Grade 7mm stw with 140 gr partions at a really good price. When I inspected them, I could not find anything wrong with them.

Just giving a heads up.
Thanks for the headsup Black, but it appears they don't seem to have anymore left in stock. :D

MudRunner,

They are a good site to keep an eye on. They know handle all of Nosler's seconds by what I can see.

I figured that they would not last long, once I mentioned it. I already have a lot of brass for the stw, so that is why I did not jump on it.

MudRunner,

They are a good site to keep an eye on. They know handle all of Nosler's seconds by what I can see.

I figured that they would not last long, once I mentioned it. I already have a lot of brass for the stw, so that is why I did not jump on it.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on their site from now on. For the price I just paid for 75 brand new Nosler STW brass, I don't think I'll EVER pay regular price for "firsts" again. Especially if the "seconds" are nothing more than dirty wash looking, and something that will take an hour or 2 in the tumbler to have them looking 100% in no time.

Welcome to "The Brotherhood".

The biggest problem you will find is that you have too much fun shooting it and will tend to want to shoot, and shoot, and shoot.

That's a killer for barrels in the STW so just make your mind up now, no more than three shots without at least a 5 minute cool down in the shade with the bolt open.

Keep with that and you'll find that rifle will last you a very long time.

One other suggestion I'd make is after you follow the proper break in process (use whatever your maker recommends) clean it out completely, then clean it again and send it off to be melonited. That will increase the barrel life dramatically and it's a minimal price to pay for that extension.

I wish Meloniting had been around back 10-11 years ago, and I would have had my STW barrel done...

Is it too late with around 500 down the tube? Or would it still be worth it?

What you think Rose? Also, how much does it cost? And who's the best?

If it were me I'd turn the necks down a bit before necking them down. That should eliminate your problem.

Brass actually flows when you work it with a die so that 1mm of brass has to go somewhere.

The 7mm STW simply is an 8mm Necked down, or was originally until it became a standardized caliber vs a wildcat round.

That sounds like an idea worth trying. I would think it could only help

Recent Posts