7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

7stw - You are on a roll lately!! Congrats on another new rig. I am heading down friday to check out new scopes for my gun, any of you guy's ever use the Sightron SIII?

Hi my name is Rob I have recently built a 7 mm STW witha a sightron Siii 6x24x50 scope. I have always shot the 7 mm but decided recently that I wanted a upgrade I shot a friend STW and decided this gun was the gun for me before I even had to shoot anything else. I have only had the gun back from the gunsmith for maybe 2 months I have finally shot some rounds through it and it is shooting bollet hole in bollet hole with the load my friend has in his STW. much more to be don. Cant what to put a big buck down with it.

Darn you guys for getting me hooked on this LRH stuff!!!! gun)
And, the STW! Got my load dialed in about a week ago. Tested it out a few days ago on the gong at 335yds. Dialed the scope, then first shot hit dead center of the gong! Second one was so close I couldn't tell the difference between the two splats. Third one was about 1.5 inches right. This was off the bipod on a rickety table. :D
Went out today to verify drops at longer range to make sure I was still on the gong. First group at 535yds is below. Lower right is the cold bore shot. Just barely over 4 inches in a 5-10 gusting crosswind. I didn't dial any for windage, I just wanted group and elevation. Of course after this pic, my battery died in my phone so I don't have any more.
Then I finished up at 663 yds. Groups opened up quite a bit, but I'm going to attribute that to the gusting winds, and my rookie wind reading abilities :rolleyes: The drop chart matched beautifully!
For me being new to LRH, hitting the gong at 535 and 663 on every shot was a huge deal!!!!
Thanks again for all of your guys help!!. I've got three tags this season, so I will be posting up my harvesting pics!

Attachments

• 1006121253.jpg
    1006121253.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 11
Blacksheep

that is some nice shooting there. Looks like your are about ready to fill your tags.

What does your gun print at 100 yards?

So today I picked up my second 7mm STW. This is the Win Model 70 that butterbean had for sale. The gun looks good, can't wait to now shoot it. Planning on giving the gun a good cleaning tonight.

What was funny, my 6 mo. son was having fun meeting all of the ladies at the store. And these ladies liked the dress the my 2.6 year old daughter was wearing, pink camo.

So now I have a Ruger No. 1 Stainless and a Winchester Model 70 Laredo in 7mm STW.

Well, I'm starting to think I've got to get rid of the walnut stock on my lh 7stw. The **** screws loosened up again, this time hex head screws pulled down with a long allen and loc-tited with blue. I'm at a loss here and can't really trust the rifle at present.
I was at the range today at the 100 yard line and my 7mmstw pitched a group just north of a moa. O.K., I thought she'll settle in and do better second group with a fouled pipe. WRONG, the dang thing pitched a 2.5" group. I grabbed my allens a couple of groups later, and sure enough the front trigger guard screw was barely finger tight. I pulled it down and it went back to moa on a hot barrel.
So, should I hunt down an aftermarket stock, pillar bed this one, or burn it in effigy?? Possibly pull the stock off of my 300 rum to test-bed the 7stw on to shore up my trust in the rifle before deer season?? Or will that just rub in bad karma on my 300 rum, a totally proven 1/2 moa rifle??

Darn you guys for getting me hooked on this LRH stuff!!!! gun)
And, the STW! Got my load dialed in about a week ago. Tested it out a few days ago on the gong at 335yds. Dialed the scope, then first shot hit dead center of the gong! Second one was so close I couldn't tell the difference between the two splats. Third one was about 1.5 inches right. This was off the bipod on a rickety table. :D
Went out today to verify drops at longer range to make sure I was still on the gong. First group at 535yds is below. Lower right is the cold bore shot. Just barely over 4 inches in a 5-10 gusting crosswind. I didn't dial any for windage, I just wanted group and elevation. Of course after this pic, my battery died in my phone so I don't have any more.
Then I finished up at 663 yds. Groups opened up quite a bit, but I'm going to attribute that to the gusting winds, and my rookie wind reading abilities :rolleyes: The drop chart matched beautifully!
For me being new to LRH, hitting the gong at 535 and 663 on every shot was a huge deal!!!!
Thanks again for all of your guys help!!. I've got three tags this season, so I will be posting up my harvesting pics!

That is some awesome Long Range Shooting Black Sheep! :)

Well, I'm starting to think I've got to get rid of the walnut stock on my lh 7stw. The **** screws loosened up again, this time hex head screws pulled down with a long allen and loc-tited with blue. I'm at a loss here and can't really trust the rifle at present.
I was at the range today at the 100 yard line and my 7mmstw pitched a group just north of a moa. O.K., I thought she'll settle in and do better second group with a fouled pipe. WRONG, the dang thing pitched a 2.5" group. I grabbed my allens a couple of groups later, and sure enough the front trigger guard screw was barely finger tight. I pulled it down and it went back to moa on a hot barrel.
So, should I hunt down an aftermarket stock, pillar bed this one, or burn it in effigy?? Possibly pull the stock off of my 300 rum to test-bed the 7stw on to shore up my trust in the rifle before deer season?? Or will that just rub in bad karma on my 300 rum, a totally proven 1/2 moa rifle??

Lefty, I'm beginning to wonder if the threads in you rifle are loose, or do you have a very loose fitting stock. I have heard or read a few times that you have had issues with fasteners coming loose. But didn't you recently replace them with new hex heads? Either one of the two things I mentioned will cause that. If you have a lot of " play" ine the threads when the screw is in the hole, you may have to use loctite as a normal regiment. If not, then you definitely need to bed the action. Might I recommend pillar bedding it as well. I recently did just that, on a 700 LSS, and you wouldn't believe the difference on paper that made. Good luck in your quest.

Lefty, I'm beginning to wonder if the threads in you rifle are loose, or do you have a very loose fitting stock. I have heard or read a few times that you have had issues with fasteners coming loose. But didn't you recently replace them with new hex heads? Either one of the two things I mentioned will cause that. If you have a lot of " play" ine the threads when the screw is in the hole, you may have to use loctite as a normal regiment. If not, then you definitely need to bed the action. Might I recommend pillar bedding it as well. I recently did just that, on a 700 LSS, and you wouldn't believe the difference on paper that made. Good luck in your quest.
I'm starting to believe it's either loose threads in the action bottom (as you stated) or a rather compressible wood stock. I am probably going to take a very serious look at re-stocking or at least re-working with pillars if there are any more troubles with the stock loosening up. I do favor a layup stock with a full length block for a caliber of this nature, but my 300 rum is just fine with the same bdl walnut stock. Go figure as it beats on things more than the 7stw.

Yep on the hex heads too, and the front one came loose to just snug, May as well have fallen out as far as accuracy went south.