7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I'd go down a couple of grains and take a bit off the pressure peak.
You are probably at 75 Kpsi for it to be tough to pull back.
A couple of questions though. Are you fl sizing your brass? Has that brass been beaten up with a hot load before?
Marks on the brass head are never good and are usually consistant with at least slight over-pressure. Before you give in to sub standard accuracy play with seating depth on the highest charge that doesn't give ejector marks.

Have a good one...

He may have too hot a load, but 5/16 as a substandard group?

That's a smidge over .25! Ill take that in spades please.

He may have too hot a load, but 5/16 as a substandard group?

That's a smidge over .25! Ill take that in spades please.
yup, I'll take three too please. I stop at 1/2 moa give or take. Most of these rifles will pull out a screamer group occasionally but fall to 1/2-3/4 moa when you really prove them.

Well Brothers, After 3 days off and on I have read this blog and I feel its time to join in the Brotherhood. I have owned a Rem 7STW w/ sendero special barrel for 5 years and have truely loved that gun. I have allwas shot over the counter ammo but have just recently started reading and studying how to reload. I decided to start with a new to me semi custom 7stw and then get in to reloading. I found and purchased a 7stw sendero with a lilja barrel (1-10 twist),DE muzzle brake, blue printed action and polished triger to 2lbs. I have yet to put my hands on it because its in the mail as I write this. I can't wait to get it and shoot it. So brothers get ready for the questions for Im sure I will have plenty.
For Starters.
1. 1-10 twist is better for heavy loads or light loads ?
2. What the heck is DRT when talking about a shot on an animal ?
3. Choate ultimate sniper stock. Good or Bad ?
4. DE muzzle brake or pain killer muzzle break? Which one you guys like?

Well Brothers, After 3 days off and on I have read this blog and I feel its time to join in the Brotherhood. I have owned a Rem 7STW w/ sendero special barrel for 5 years and have truely loved that gun. I have allwas shot over the counter ammo but have just recently started reading and studying how to reload. I decided to start with a new to me semi custom 7stw and then get in to reloading. I found and purchased a 7stw sendero with a lilja barrel (1-10 twist),DE muzzle brake, blue printed action and polished triger to 2lbs. I have yet to put my hands on it because its in the mail as I write this. I can't wait to get it and shoot it. So brothers get ready for the questions for Im sure I will have plenty.
For Starters.
1. 1-10 twist is better for heavy loads or light loads ?
2. What the heck is DRT when talking about a shot on an animal ?
3. Choate ultimate sniper stock. Good or Bad ?
4. DE muzzle brake or pain killer muzzle break? Which one you guys like?
1. 10" twist is fine in a 7stw, but it may not stabilize over 168 grain unless it's a flat base bullet.
2. DRT= dead right there or pop and flop
3. I've not used a choate stock but I hear they are useable
4. I like the stw because you really don't need a brake,so I can't help you there-- besides, I'm a bit of a masochist and don't even have a brake on my 300 rum or my lightweight 375h@h-- you'll need to ask others about their brake as I only have a 300 with a boss and it came that way

Could someone give me a good bullet recommendation to start with. I'm looking for super accurate and deadly at 500 yds. My gun is a semi custom sendero 7stw with 26" Lilja barrel 1-10 twist.

Could someone give me a good bullet recommendation to start with. I'm looking for super accurate and deadly at 500 yds. My gun is a semi custom sendero 7stw with 26" Lilja barrel 1-10 twist.
The 140 Barnes TSX And the 140 Combined Technology are two of my favorites ....great groups and awesome kiliing power

Last edited:
Guys I have a question about a 7STW build. I have a Remington 700 30-06 with a Bell and Carlson stock (BDL) Would it be possible to rebarrel this as a 7STW? Would I need a new bolt or would the current one work?

Thanks for any information.

Steve

Guys I have a question about a 7STW build. I have a Remington 700 30-06 with a Bell and Carlson stock (BDL) Would it be possible to rebarrel this as a 7STW? Would I need a new bolt or would the current one work?

Thanks for any information.

Steve

Steve,

Of course it is possible to rebarrel to a 7stw. but it is certainly not practical. Not only will you have to alter the bolt, (you need a magnum boltface), but you'd also have to open up the bottom of the action in order to be able to feed cartridges from the magazine. the better solution it to trade the rifle for a 7mm Rem mag or .300 Win mag and re-barrel it.

Dan

You mentioned a 1-10 twist. That may handicap you on the really high bc bullets that you can find in 7mm. You should be able to use the Hornady SST in 162gr. The bc is over 500 and will do very nicely on deer and elk. I used it at 525 yards in Colorado and was very pleased.

You can expect velocity of around 3200 fps. That makes for an awesome rig. I did not develop the 140 gr bullets for my hunting because i am in a very open area an a 7-900 yard shot is not out of the realm of possibility. The higher bc 160+ class bullets do put in a performance diffrerence at those ranges. Better to be prepared for the longshot and them make a 50 yard shot than to watch the buck of your dreams saunter off at 713 yards.............

Last edited:
Fellas- we have had quite a few of you chime in with Win M70s in 7STW.

Here again I am admitting a mistake- I purchased a new barrel for an older m70 XTR push feed design to rechamber the whole thing from 300 win to 7mm STW. The problem is that the factory Winchester barrel I purchased is for the newer 'claw type extraction action. It is no good to me unless I cut an inch of the threads and pay to have it rechambered- so my loss is your gain.

Who in this 'brotherhood' that owns a m70 control feed action, doesn't want a 7STW factory barrel?

Why not have an extra barrel- just incase- you burn up your current one? Aren't we always hearing the naysayers talk about burning up barrels? Heck the way the .308 shooters talk we need a new barrel a week.

All kidding aside, I have a factory M70 Claw extractor 7STW new barrel, with threading on the end for a compensator if you want it.

Please pm me if you are interested.

Recent Posts