7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Steve,

Of course it is possible to rebarrel to a 7stw. but it is certainly not practical. Not only will you have to alter the bolt, (you need a magnum boltface), but you'd also have to open up the bottom of the action in order to be able to feed cartridges from the magazine. the better solution it to trade the rifle for a 7mm Rem mag or .300 Win mag and re-barrel it.

Dan

Many of us have a 7STW because we bought as a 7mm Rem Mag and simply had it rechambered (the chamber enlarged) instead of buying a new barrel.

Sell the 30-06, buy 7mm STW in 700 SPS if they are available. Probably the cheapest way overall to accomplish what you want.

Many of us have a 7STW because we bought as a 7mm Rem Mag and simply had it rechambered (the chamber enlarged) instead of buying a new barrel.

Sell the 30-06, buy 7mm STW in 700 SPS if they are available. Probably the cheapest way overall to accomplish what you want.

Becareful of other actions for instance the Savage LRH is a great gun, the action is more than long enough for the 7stw, but the magazine is not and it cannot be enlarged. Another hard lesson i learned that you can have for free!

Steve,

Of course it is possible to rebarrel to a 7stw. but it is certainly not practical. Not only will you have to alter the bolt, (you need a magnum boltface), but you'd also have to open up the bottom of the action in order to be able to feed cartridges from the magazine. the better solution it to trade the rifle for a 7mm Rem mag or .300 Win mag and re-barrel it.

Dan

Thanks Dan I figured as much :D

I already have a 7STW in a Winchester M70, figured I may rechamber my Rem 700 if is would not be to much work :D may start keeping my eyes peeled for a doner gun in the near future, thanks guys.

Could someone give me a good bullet recommendation to start with. I'm looking for super accurate and deadly at 500 yds. My gun is a semi custom sendero 7stw with 26" Lilja barrel 1-10 twist.
140 accubond with rl25 and a 215. 140 sierra would do fine to about 700yds if you think in green.

The reason I asked about bullet weight and twist rate is because the previous owner of the gun said it shot 180VLDs better than the 168VLDs but everwhere I read this should be just the opposite with a 1-10 twist rate.. Once again I have not recieved the gun and cant wait to find out for my self. Im thinking I will stay around te 140-168 gn because im only shooting whitetails and hogs with this rifle and Im kinda a speed freek. I like velocity.

The reason I asked about bullet weight and twist rate is because the previous owner of the gun said it shot 180VLDs better than the 168VLDs but everwhere I read this should be just the opposite with a 1-10 twist rate.. Once again I have not recieved the gun and cant wait to find out for my self. Im thinking I will stay around te 140-168 gn because im only shooting whitetails and hogs with this rifle and Im kinda a speed freek. I like velocity.

My pick would be either LRX 145gn Barnes, 150gn sirrocco or a140gn Nosler Accubond.

Could someone give me a good bullet recommendation to start with. I'm looking for super accurate and deadly at 500 yds. My gun is a semi custom sendero 7stw with 26" Lilja barrel 1-10 twist.

Oglebuck, congrats on the new hot rod. A ten twist really isn't a handicap in the seven mm world. I am confident that you will be able to stabilize everything up to 168 grains. Some bullets may be a little length sensitive and need 9-9.5 to stabilize the whole gamut of the heavy for caliber bullets. With the ten twist, you will be able to get higher velocity, and less pressure, but in my way of thinking, that rifle will be a prime candidate for a 154 Hornady spire point. You have the best of both worlds. Awesome speed and decent weight. If you are busting whitetails, or even mulies, the will not walk away from that. The nosler 140 CT, or AB, also come to mind. You will easily get 3400 out of the latter bullets with that twist, and little to no pressure. In the 140 class bullets, look no farther than RL22, 7828, or H1000. Most of us here have some " pet formulas" and would be happy to share when you get ready.
Lilja barrels are the cream of the crop. Enjoy. Keep us posted.

Guys I have a question about a 7STW build. I have a Remington 700 30-06 with a Bell and Carlson stock (BDL) Would it be possible to rebarrel this as a 7STW? Would I need a new bolt or would the current one work?

Thanks for any information.

Steve

Greenshovel, the answer to your question is yes, you can convert your 06 to a 7 STW, but as my partner " Dano1", said it isn't practical, unless you 06 has sentimental value that you want to keep part of. As was also mentioned, you are probably better of buying a Donor rifle, and building it from the ground up.
I did just that in the spring. I bought a 700 ADL synthetic rifle for small money. The action was in decent shape, which I made better. Lugs were lapped and squared, threads re cut, and squared also. I ran into a AWESOME take off Sendero barrel that was removed to build another rifle. ( cant figure that out). That barrel was said to have less then 40 rounds through it, and was a closet queen for about 12 years. Long story short, the barrel is mint, and shoots out lites. And I finished it by mounting it in a Bobby Hart LRT laminated wood.
Another option, would be to buy a known to be in good shape 7 mag, preferably with a 26 inch barrel. Have a COMPETENT gunsmith rent a reamer in 7 STW and rechamber it. It works great, I know two people who did that years ago, and they STILL shoot great. WARNING, do not buy one of those special run SPS rifles in 7stw that were around this past spring. All of the stories I have heard on them is not good. The barrels are junk!!!! Also, keep an eye on the classifieds here on the site. They pop up once in a while. Good luck, and keep in touch. There's lots of help here.

7stw thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to get my hands on my new to me riffle and shoot it. Once I get started I will be asking for y'all's pet loads. Thanks again.
I have a question. Can I remove a muzzle break and add a muzzle thread cap myself or does it have to be done by a smith. (the barrel is threaded at the muzzle with a DE brake)

7stw thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to get my hands on my new to me riffle and shoot it. Once I get started I will be asking for y'all's pet loads. Thanks again.
I have a question. Can I remove a muzzle break and add a muzzle thread cap myself or does it have to be done by a smith. (the barrel is threaded at the muzzle with a DE brake)

Oglebuck, from what I understand, you should be able to remove it and add the cap yourself. It dosen't make sense to have to take it to a smith to do that every time you go hunting. As a point of interest, you might want to shoot some groups WITH the brake, and then shoot some groups WITHOUT the brake and look for a change in point of impact. It makes sendero me that there may be a change, and if so, you would need to know what changes to be made, should you decide to make changes either way in the field. I don't know what I dread more, the horrific muzzle report with the brake, or the recoil without it. The 7STW isn't really bad for recoil overall, at least to me. Maybe someday, but at least for now I don't need it.my 300 RUM almost made me put one on it, I got rid of it instead. Don't Miss it either. Take care.

Oglebuck, from what I understand, you should be able to remove it and add the cap yourself. It dosen't make sense to have to take it to a smith to do that every time you go hunting. As a point of interest, you might want to shoot some groups WITH the brake, and then shoot some groups WITHOUT the brake and look for a change in point of impact. It makes sendero me that there may be a change, and if so, you would need to know what changes to be made, should you decide to make changes either way in the field. I don't know what I dread more, the horrific muzzle report with the brake, or the recoil without it. The 7STW isn't really bad for recoil overall, at least to me. Maybe someday, but at least for now I don't need it.my 300 RUM almost made me put one on it, I got rid of it instead. Don't Miss it either. Take care.

Kinda what I was thinking 7Stw. My other 7stw with a sendero barrel dosent have a brake and doesn't need one. The new 7stw I'm waiting on has a threaded brake and I don't think I will need it. The gun will have a heavy barrel, stock and heavy NF scope and recoil really don't bother me. After all I shoot a 10gage for ducks all day. I just never liked the noise of a brake.

I hunt regularly w/ my electronic ear muffs, to protect my what's left of my hearing and be able to hear what's behind me. But then I do hunt a lot in the thick stuff where shots are short.

I started hunting this year as well with electronic muffs and I love it. I bought the kind you can plug your 2-way radio into as well (family medical reasons, not for hunting advantage). It truelly is nice to be able to hear better with the muffs and not have to worry about my brake hurting me. So they are a win-win-win situation for me.

Also, headed out in a few hours for 2 weeks for my bull elk hunt here in SW Wyo. Going to be shooting the 145gr. Barnes LRX bullet. I will let everyone here know how they perform!! Have a good one guys!!

Recent Posts