7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

So here is the horror story of the week.

I bought a Savage LRH in 7mm mag a month ago. I waited my 10 days in california formthe privilege of receiving my own property, then i took it to Inland Accuracy Labs in Riverside. steve has made me three great shooters in the past. His job was to rechamber the savage 111 lrh into 7mm STW. The action is plenty long enugh, as I was bright enough to measure that, but my inherent dimwittedness kicked in as i did not fully reviewmthe magazine. Savage has made a fantastic gun with everything you would want on it, except for a magazine that can expand. I would have to load to 3.5 oal or have a single shot. It seems Savage put the latch to the magazine catch in the way of expanding the well.

I could buy the bottom metal for the 338 lapua and solve this, but savage wants 390.00 for the bottom metal and 130.00 for a magazine.

So just like the model 70 barrel i thought i was getting a steal on, this one goes ip for sale also. I will only ship tp ffls. 750.00 and it is yours. It will be a great shooter with the 26" barrel matte black, accutrigger, accustock, adjustable comb, adjustable muzzlebreak, it just needs a good home. You could make a wicked 7mm Jarret out of it! Or have the coolest 7mag around. They retailed for 899. And i have never shot it.

Ill be testing the AMAX on mule deer and possibly an elk this fall in Colorado. I used the ssts last year because my local gun guy messed up on the order. The bullet performed well, it just isnt as efficient as the AMAX. Ill let you all know the terminal info when i can.

Hey Big Jake,
I use 162 A max's in my STW @ 3350 fps and so far they have proven to be good killers from ranges of 280yds out to 830yds. The deer I hunt are sika which probaly weigh up to no more than 180lbs live weight for a good stag and red deer which probaly weigh up to about 450lbs live weight for a good stag.
Lung shots are what I go for and the last red stag I shot @ 395yds on the 3rd June didn't go more than 20yds before he folded up.
My mag load for spook and shoot out to 250 - 300yds is 160 Accubonds, I havn't crony these but as they shot about an inch high and left of my longrange loads zero they do the job.
Good luck with your upcoming hunts.

Thanks for the info what powder charge and barrel length do you have?.

27" 1 and 9 twist Trueflite barrel / 84gns ADI 2225 Rifle powder / Federal GM mag primers and Remington brass. No brake or supressor.
This is pretty stiff load and I'm ditching the cases after 5 firings as the primer pockets are loosening up. ( wish Lapua made STW cases)

Regards Steve.

I hate to tell you, but if you are loosing rem stw brass because the primer pockets are loose, your pressures are high. I've worked with 4 7mmstw rifles, and one had a strain guage. We have never lost a primer pocket in 1000's of rounds without a drastic overload. I've worked with win, rem, and federal brass, and it's all been fine if it is loaded properly.

I have 60 once fired Winchester nickel plated cases and 50 unfired Winchester plain brass cases. Can anyone give me advise on using this brass? How does Winchester brass compare to Rem? Do you think I should be able to use the plateed & un-plated brass interchangeably?

I have 60 once fired Winchester nickel plated cases and 50 unfired Winchester plain brass cases. Can anyone give me advise on using this brass? How does Winchester brass compare to Rem? Do you think I should be able to use the plateed & un-plated brass interchangeably?
The win and rem may take slightly different loads, but both are good brass. The win brass has slightly thinner necks, and has different bullet pull as a result. So work your loads in each brass to be sure it works well. I've had a great load in one turn to an o.k. load if I switch brass. The win nickle is a brass I havn't worked with, but as a rule nickle is a bit stiff, so it may be closer to the rem brass that regular win.

I am building an stw now on a 700 action with a shilen select match barrel sendero contour,the action and bolt are being trued, the barrel fluted, a holland brake installed and I just ordered an H-S stock. I am planing on toping it with a vx-3 4.5-14 cds. I'm planing on keeping the original trigger as it's the old one they got sued over and it's really nice, as nice as my other feather weight delux anyway.

I am building an stw now on a 700 action with a shilen select match barrel sendero contour,the action and bolt are being trued, the barrel fluted, a holland brake installed and I just ordered an H-S stock. I am planing on toping it with a vx-3 4.5-14 cds. I'm planing on keeping the original trigger as it's the old one they got sued over and it's really nice, as nice as my other feather weight delux anyway.
Sounds like the makings for a good rig......what twist rate did you order?

I hate to tell you, but if you are loosing rem stw brass because the primer pockets are loose, your pressures are high. I've worked with 4 7mmstw rifles, and one had a strain guage. We have never lost a primer pocket in 1000's of rounds without a drastic overload. I've worked with win, rem, and federal brass, and it's all been fine if it is loaded properly.

Yes you are 100% right, I strongely advise to all 7mm STW users against using this load in their rifles.