7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Another die that works for neck sizing the 7stw if set up correctly is a 7rum die. I've been using mine for that since I traded my 7rum. The necks on win brass won't have much neck tension, but rems are a bit thicker and will most likely be fine. I partial fl almost all of my stuff, but if yank a batch down because I don't like it as much as I did, I'll go to the 7rum die to pull up the neck tension again.

Gentlemen - When you are shooting 3 shot groups, how long do you wait in between shots?

Hi, I try to get them away as quickly as possible with a medium contoured barrel, If i'm shooting longer shot strings I'll pause acouple of minutes between shoots.
If you have a very slim contoured barrel that has a pressure point in the fore end of the stock you will generally see the shots start to string upwards as the barrel heats up.

Just want to throw a handup at my parter in crime 7STW for the JB weld and Pam cooking spray lesson......No more glass and release agents for me.......But the Pam with olive oil made me hungry so about ate myself into a coma waiting on the JB to cure:D.......Thanks Brother

Does anyone know what powder "Double Tap" use in their 140 grain & 160 grain Accubond 7mm STW ammo?

Their published ballistics for those 2 loads are:

140 Grain Nosler AccuBond:
Muzzle Velocity: 3475 fps
Muzzle Energy: 3752 ft. lbs

160 Grain Nosler AccuBond:
Muzzle Velocity: 3305 fps
Muzzle Energy: 3882 ft. lbs

Those are some pretty fast/hot loads and I would like to see if I could duplicate them.

I talked to them today and they told me they could not disclose what powder they are using but it is nothing exotic and the ordinary reloader has access to the same powder.

Also, has anyone shot their factory ammo? If so, any feedback?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just shoot them. Basically as long as it takes to target the rifle.

WEll, I'll throw in my hat, but am sure some will disagree. IF I am shooting a standard mag contour, I only shoot two shot groups. BUT I shoot a series of two shot groups, on the same target, after a cool down period. ( assisted by air conditioner in truck if need be). Now, if it is a sendero contour, I will shoot three.
This is my theory. Take for instance, my Sako, or the Winchester. They have a normal contour barrel. Two shots in 60 ish degrees, using RL25, and you can barely touch the barrel after two shots, let alone three. And usually, because of that, the third is usually a flier, or way out of the group. Which in turn, may make you discount that load, even if the first two are touching. So, if you take a series of two shot groups, and they stay consistent, you have found your load, you didn't fry the throat. AND, here is the frosting on the cake! I have two rifles sighted in exactly like that. The first and second shot are on the money, dead on the money at 250 yards.
With the Sendero, they can handle the heat a little better, due to nearly twice the surface area.
That's just my .0002 cents, but it works for me, and I have checked and counter checked my reasoning over and over again. The targets don't lie!!!!

Just want to throw a handup at my parter in crime 7STW for the JB weld and Pam cooking spray lesson......No more glass and release agents for me.......But the Pam with olive oil made me hungry so about ate myself into a coma waiting on the JB to cure:D.......Thanks Brother

Boy, you went all out and got the fancy stuff, Olive oil even!!!! Glad it worked out for ya. That stuff is the bomb for bedding. Very strong, and dosen't shrink either.
Popeye out!!!!

WEll, I'll throw in my hat, but am sure some will disagree. IF I am shooting a standard mag contour, I only shoot two shot groups. BUT I shoot a series of two shot groups, on the same target, after a cool down period. ( assisted by air conditioner in truck if need be). Now, if it is a sendero contour, I will shoot three.
This is my theory. Take for instance, my Sako, or the Winchester. They have a normal contour barrel. Two shots in 60 ish degrees, using RL25, and you can barely touch the barrel after two shots, let alone three. And usually, because of that, the third is usually a flier, or way out of the group. Which in turn, may make you discount that load, even if the first two are touching. So, if you take a series of two shot groups, and they stay consistent, you have found your load, you didn't fry the throat. AND, here is the frosting on the cake! I have two rifles sighted in exactly like that. The first and second shot are on the money, dead on the money at 250 yards.
With the Sendero, they can handle the heat a little better, due to nearly twice the surface area.
That's just my .0002 cents, but it works for me, and I have checked and counter checked my reasoning over and over again. The targets don't lie!!!!
I will second that motion

If you are getting fliers by the third shot you have issues. Usually the load really isn't that good for that barrel.
I just put a load together with the 171 matchburner in my 7stw that has turned in a .300" group and a .295" group on successive shootings. I went out father's day, shot 2 foulers and layed out a .295" group in around a minute. The load is 75.0 rl25, 171 barnes matchburner set to 3.685", 215 primer, and unfired rem brass trimmed and neck-sized but otherwise not uniformed.
I was getting a bit of mirage by the last shot, but the barrel wasn't THAT hot. The temp was 75 degrees and it was muggy.
I have noticed that this 7stw wants to be shot a bit slower than my sendero liked, but a fouler or two and a group without stopping is about right.
The rifle is my 7mmstw lh bdl with a 24" sporter taper custom barrel on it. It's wearing a 8-32x 40 elite 4200 in leopold bases/rings.

My instinct says there should be no need for a fouler shot? I suppose it doesn't matter under 300 yards with a stw but I'd like to think my rifle can shoot 5-750 on target first shot. Is this possible, I'm not practicing over 200 yards with mine right now, but will be later this year on some property I purchased.

I'm going to read up on this phenomena, I'd think if you knew your load worked in various temps, altitude and humidity building drop charts would be next to support it, the first shot could be calculated?

Please chime in.

My instinct says there should be no need for a fouler shot? I suppose it doesn't matter under 300 yards with a stw but I'd like to think my rifle can shoot 5-750 on target first shot. Is this possible, I'm not practicing over 200 yards with mine right now, but will be later this year on some property I purchased.

I'm going to read up on this phenomena, I'd think if you knew your load worked in various temps, altitude and humidity building drop charts would be next to support it, the first shot could be calculated?

Please chime in.
Yeah it can be calculated.......but IMO a fouler shot is a must in your tune up unless yor gonna clean after every shot .......The first two shots out of a clean barrel are of no use to me......fouling the weapon puts it in field readiness condition ...To me its a must

Please chime in.
I want to be driving bullets for group over fouling. Not over oil, not over dry bore, fouling. I clean my guns before I put 'em away if I don't know that I'm going out in the next few days, and I don't let more than a box or so through a bigger rifle without a cleaning. The varminters and my 44 get shot until they they won't hold a group, then they get cleaned.

Recent Posts