7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Well, I shot the stw with 171 gr matchburners and rl25 today. It only turned in 1 sub moa group, but I believe I missed the upper accuracy node, and I'll try later this weekend to see if I can find it. 70gr turned in the best group at .55" at 100 yard, with 72gr at 1.298", 74gr at 2.22", 76gr at 1.3", and 78gr at 2.25". 70 gr was 2750 fps, and by 78gr I had hit 3087 fps. 78 seemed a bit stiff though, and since it isn't grouping, I'm going to look for the upper accuracy node between 75 and 77 gr.
The temp. was 75 degrees and muggy with a gusty side wind from 5 to 15 mph.. These were all shot at 3.685" oal.(max. mag length), and it was still around .1" jump to the lands.
24" barreled lefty bdl 7mmstw.

Hi BB,

Outwardly, the two rifles look almost identical; only by closer inspection are the differences noted.

The CRPF action on the New Haven rifle (call it pre-64 if you wish, but it's much different) operates just like a push feed, except that ejection can be controlled by speed of bolt manipulation.

The trigger on the CRPF is the same design used for many years on the model 70.

The "new" (FN?) rifle has the true pre-64 style action with the bolt "nose" tapered to fit into the standing breach (rather than the flat nose of the CRPF bolt). While it may be OK to single load directly into the chamber, there is noticable resistance to closing the bolt when doing this. When single loading, I prefer to slip the round into the mag first----takes anout 2 seconds longer.

The trigger on the new rifle is the MOA design; modular, similiar to the Rem (and other such) in outward appearance. Only adjustable down to 3 pounds (without changing out the spring) but crisp with no creep; over travel is adjustable.

I just put Nikon 4-16x50 scopes on both rifles and have not had time to settle on a load yet. The plan is to use them for white tail hunting out to 500 yds or so. Will probably use 130-140 grain bullets. So far, with the older rifle, Hornady and Speer 130s have turned in some great groups---between .5"and .75" at 100 yds. Most groups are under 1", but I have fired a few in the 1" to 1.25" range---probably demonstrates my lack of ability, more than anything..........:(

Jim
Thanks for the info on the new rifle bolt ....sounds like its kin to a Ruger action ......Let me know what load you end up using.....And it sounds to me like your shooting is just fine....nothing wrong with those numbers at all

RANGE REPORT, 7STW's NEW BUILD.
Guys, as was planned earlier in the week, I took the new build to the range today. First I used some federal 160 grain factory ammo to put it on the paper. I threw together 9 bullets. Four were using 150 BT, and 5 with 140 TSX. Both loads using RL25. 78.5, and 80,5 respectively. It dosen't seem to like the 150 BT, much, but it sure as he'll eats up those 140 TSX bullets. Group at 100' was .423, and just under a inch at 200. The 200 yard group with the 150 BT, was actually better than the 100 yd group. I have seen this before, so it dosen't surprise me. All of this brass was F/L resized. Am going to try some additional loads, maybe tomorrow, with neck sized brass. Am going to try 154 Hornady, and 162 A Max as well. Gun performed beautifully. Easy ejection, no tight spots in action. Chambers very smooth. Shot it 15 times, and cleaned with about 4 patches. Pix of targets may follow. Thanks to all the " Brothers" that have followed and contributed, and for the support as well. Take care to all.I think this thing is going to be a shooter!

RANGE REPORT, 7STW's NEW BUILD.
Guys, as was planned earlier in the week, I took the new build to the range today. First I used some federal 160 grain factory ammo to put it on the paper. I threw together 9 bullets. Four were using 150 BT, and 5 with 140 TSX. Both loads using RL25. 78.5, and 80,5 respectively. It dosen't seem to like the 150 BT, much, but it sure as he'll eats up those 140 TSX bullets. Group at 100' was .423, and just under a inch at 200. The 200 yard group with the 150 BT, was actually better than the 100 yd group. I have seen this before, so it dosen't surprise me. All of this brass was F/L resized. Am going to try some additional loads, maybe tomorrow, with neck sized brass. Am going to try 154 Hornady, and 162 A Max as well. Gun performed beautifully. Easy ejection, no tight spots in action. Chambers very smooth. Shot it 15 times, and cleaned with about 4 patches. Pix of targets may follow. Thanks to all the " Brothers" that have followed and contributed, and for the support as well. Take care to all.I think this thing is going to be a shooter!

Bob,
I agree, it sounds like it is going to be quite a shooter.

I just haven't had time to reload anything or get to the range to try out my tuned Senderos since the last time at the range when the 85 degree temps were affecting my loads, groups and spikes in velocities. Hopefully I'll find time in the next couple of weeks to reload some 140/160 Accubonds and 162 Amaxs and go to the range when the temps are more reasonable.

Ok Y'all here are 7STW's targets from the Sharpshooter and the new build.....Awesome guns and Awesome shooting

Attachments

• 7t.jpg
    7t.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 7t1.jpg
    7t1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 18
I finally got out to the range with the stw. Firing the 171 barnes matchburner with 75 rl25 (rp brass/215) it averaged 2946 fps and .3" even for group. 77 rl25 wasn't so great, at around 2", but that follows the accuracy progression from Saturday, where 76 was 1.3" and 78 was 2".
86 grains rl50 with the 171 also did well, with 3 in two bullet diameters outer to outer, but it was the 2936 fps and needs to be re-shot because some clod with a blade-sighted rifle skipped one into the target on me. The powder compression was just enough that I won't try a heavier charge with it.

Where are you finding RP Brass, I want some!

Ed

You should have told me last week you were looking. The local shop just sold out at 35$ per 50. I can see if the ma and pa place on main has some if you want. They are a bit spendier, though. They did have a couple of hundred las time I was there, bulk, not bags.

050-22460100_th.jpg

REMINGTON COMPONENTS
Item No: 050-22460100
Price: $64.51
MID SOUTH HAS THIS IN STOCK AT THE MOMENT (100 CT)

Another new guy question.
I'm getting lateral thinning and splitting about 1/4" ahead of the belt on my cases. Internet search pointed to excessive headspace allowing the front of the case to move forward, while the base is held by the extractor, thinning the case as it stretches.
All these cases have been shot before and were in excess of .005 headspace. All these cases were bumped and measured at .005 prior to this last shooting episode, where they showed signs of cracking.
You guys told me .003 was where i needed to be but I couldn't get my dies to repeat at .003 and the press "settled in" at .005 so that's where I left it. The bump seems to be dependent on the initial case shoulder length and I'm seeing +- .001 coming out of the gun.

So, does your experience suggest the .005 and greater headspace is the reason for the lateral splitting?
I have noticed the area where the cracks or shiny rings appear is where the full length sizer is working the mtl.
(pics were from the article, but a cpl of mine look like that. Most were verry thin cracks w/ no powder ring)

Attachments

• reloadingx48x2.jpg
    reloadingx48x2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 26

Recent Posts