7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Post a few pics, I might be interested. Have him pull the bolt out too and photograph the face. If it is the pre-64 great, but I doubt it because the 7stw wasn't around then. If it is the controlled round push feed, a (super shadow) made between late 2003-2006, it's the best action Winchester may have ever made, my opinion. I just bought a 7WSM with that action and paid $515 net on gunbroker. An STW version would be worth a tad more because of the long action. but probably no more than $625 unless it had a DBM set up and trigger, then add a bit more. This is my opinion as I shop Gunbroker daily for stuff and always look up 7stw, 7wsm and 300 wsm & Ruger No.1's.

Tons of deals there. If he were patient, he could ask for more and just wait. Someone typically comes around for stuff like this after awhile.
Winchester has two actions a pre 64 and a post 64......The Winchester controlled round feed is called a Pre 64 action no matter what year it was made......

There was a CRPF for a while; sort of a hybrid, I would say. Has a push feed type extractor, a blade ejector and the bolt face is very similiar to the CRF.

I have one of the New Haven Coyote Lites with the CRPF action; my new Coyote Lite (FN?) is the pre-64 style action. Both actions are shorter than the Win. 70 long action, but the shorter action bolt bodies are different lengths, as are the striker assemblies. Both of mine are .270 WSM.

Future collectors (if any???) will have fun with the Winchester/FN switchover variations.

Jim

Last edited:
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - Fonksr those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Once the pre-64 Mauser style contolled round feed ended they transitioned to push feed models. The Rem 700 gained so much popularity Winchester fiddled with the post 64 design 3 times I believe. In the 2003-2006 they came out with a model aptly named Controlled Round Push Feed (CRPF) this was different than crpf in that it had a large claw, making it's extraction ability similar to a pre-64 in feeding and extraction ability and similar to a Rem 700 with the recessed bolt, effectively making it 3-rings of steel too. But the extractor gave it better control in feeding and great extraction. This was the Classic "Super Shadow" model I believe. Making it possibly the best possible choice for customizing for accuracy like a Rem but also as a Dangerous game action for control in feeding and extraction. Correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I discerned but have only read in Wikipedia. Google search Model 70.

Thanks.

Of the three or four CRPF actions I have seen, all have had the push feed type extractor, blade ejector and did not have the fully enclosed case head feature like the more "normal" push feed actions (of which, I have several)

My camera is out of service right now, maybe I can post pix eventually. :)

Jim

What are you guys using for case neck ID dimensions?
I just annealed all my brass and got to looking at the ID. One sizer ball sets it at .279 and the other, from the 7-08 sets the ID at .280. I should note, these are finished dims. The sizer balls are + .001 to the finished net dim (.280 & .281).
I'm thinking it might be nice to have a range of sizer balls and experiment? 279/280 seems a little tight to me.

this is where i got the instructions for the annealing:
Carteach0: Annealing case necks.... a simple and safe method

If you open the drill chuck all the way, stw brass is a slip fit and can be dipped right in the water.

Hey, anyone loading the 171 Barnes matchburner in their 7stw's?? I can't find data, but found them on the site for sale. I've got rl22, rl25, and wc872 to try. More or less wondering if they eat a lot of powder for the weight or not.

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - Fonksr those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Once the pre-64 Mauser style contolled round feed ended they transitioned to push feed models. The Rem 700 gained so much popularity Winchester fiddled with the post 64 design 3 times I believe. In the 2003-2006 they came out with a model aptly named Controlled Round Push Feed (CRPF) this was different than crpf in that it had a large claw, making it's extraction ability similar to a pre-64 in feeding and extraction ability and similar to a Rem 700 with the recessed bolt, effectively making it 3-rings of steel too. But the extractor gave it better control in feeding and great extraction. This was the Classic "Super Shadow" model I believe. Making it possibly the best possible choice for customizing for accuracy like a Rem but also as a Dangerous game action for control in feeding and extraction. Correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I discerned but have only read in Wikipedia. Google search Model 70.

Thanks.
Wikapedia and google.....excuse me...... .....The CRPF which is still called a pre 64 action used in the super shadow used a "Post 64 Bolt face" with a recessed"pre 64 Extrator"allowing you to "single feed" with the recessed claw as well as mag feed without damaging the extractor claw.....

Last edited:
There was a CRPF for a while; sort of a hybrid, I would say. Has a push feed type extractor, a blade ejector and the bolt face is very similiar to the CRF.

I have one of the New Haven Coyote Lites with the CRPF action; my new Coyote Lite (FN?) is the pre-64 style action. Both actions are shorter than the Win. 70 long action, but the shorter action bolt bodies are different lengths, as are the striker assemblies. Both of mine are .270 WSM.

Future collectors (if any???) will have fun with the Winchester/FN switchover variations.

Jim
Jim, Any of the CRPF or CRF actions are called Pre 64 style actions....even though they were not made before 1964 at least where Im from we still refer to them as Pre 64 and (push feed) post 64.....I've heard lots of good things about the New Haven but havent got close to one yet.....how do you like it?

Also with Winchesters, the bottom metal changed around 2002. They went from a 2 piece to a 1 piece bottom metal.

If the rifle is a classic, then it will have the Mauser extractor. I believe all of the STW rifles made at the New Haven factory were this way.

I am a Winchester fan, as I have multiple guns made by them. I have 2 featherweights, one push-fed and one classic (FN model).

Once you figure a price for this rifle, I might be interested in it too. I know that Ed called first dibs, just getting in line.

As for the Barnes 171 match burner's, I do not have any load data for it. You might want to contact Barnes to get some data from them. I will be doing this as I have just bought the 168 gr Long Range bullets.

Ok, I have a question for you guys. Has anyone tried the Sierra 168 gr. HPBT Matchkings?

I have also noticed that Nosler will have a 168 gr. 7mm bullet soon.

Hopefully soon I will have some time to start working up a load for my STW. I currently have the Nosler E-tip 150 gr, Barnes 168 gr LRX, Nosler B-Tips, and others.

I do have some others in 140 gr, but I am leaving those for the 7mm-08.

Ok, I have a question for you guys. Has anyone tried the Sierra 168 gr. HPBT Matchkings?

I have also noticed that Nosler will have a 168 gr. 7mm bullet soon.

Hopefully soon I will have some time to start working up a load for my STW. I currently have the Nosler E-tip 150 gr, Barnes 168 gr LRX, Nosler B-Tips, and others.

I do have some others in 140 gr, but I am leaving those for the 7mm-08.
I've tried most every sierra, and they are pretty dang good bullets. I have loads for their pills in 7 of 10 rifles I currently own. Not always the hunting load, but good loads. I don't remember specifically the 1687mm mk, but I've used from 120 to 175 in 7mm and they all shot in the last rifle.

As for the Barnes 171 match burner's, I do not have any load data for it. You might want to contact Barnes to get some data from them. I will be doing this as I have just bought the 168 gr Long Range bullets.

I just thought someone might have done the leg work already. Time to start low and work it.

Hi BB,

Outwardly, the two rifles look almost identical; only by closer inspection are the differences noted.

The CRPF action on the New Haven rifle (call it pre-64 if you wish, but it's much different) operates just like a push feed, except that ejection can be controlled by speed of bolt manipulation.

The trigger on the CRPF is the same design used for many years on the model 70.

The "new" (FN?) rifle has the true pre-64 style action with the bolt "nose" tapered to fit into the standing breach (rather than the flat nose of the CRPF bolt). While it may be OK to single load directly into the chamber, there is noticable resistance to closing the bolt when doing this. When single loading, I prefer to slip the round into the mag first----takes anout 2 seconds longer.

The trigger on the new rifle is the MOA design; modular, similiar to the Rem (and other such) in outward appearance. Only adjustable down to 3 pounds (without changing out the spring) but crisp with no creep; over travel is adjustable.

I just put Nikon 4-16x50 scopes on both rifles and have not had time to settle on a load yet. The plan is to use them for white tail hunting out to 500 yds or so. Will probably use 130-140 grain bullets. So far, with the older rifle, Hornady and Speer 130s have turned in some great groups---between .5"and .75" at 100 yds. Most groups are under 1", but I have fired a few in the 1" to 1.25" range---probably demonstrates my lack of ability, more than anything..........:(

Jim