7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hey, Lizardsnep, you need to remember that a belted mag is headspaced, and measured at the belt, NOT the shoulder. On belted mags, the shoulder is not part of the measurement, or the headspacing at all. It is all on the belt. The only way to measure a belted mag is with a GO/ No GO gauge.
What you ARE telling me is that you may have a generous chamber, but when you set your dies up as " bump" dies, you are all set. I have seen as much as .040 slop between new brass, and the shoulder. When the brass is fired, it stretches, and fills that void. That is what causes the shiny ring just ahead of the belt. This is the ploy with belted mag, in this caliber, or ANYTHING with a belt. Some people hate em' because of that. I except it, and adjust my dies accordingly. Once you find that sweet spot, you are golden!!!

Sweet! thanks!
Now, if the dang wind would just stop so I can hit the range!!! gun)
Go anyway!!! I fired a .3" 100 yard group last year with my sendero 7mmstw (**** I wish I still had that one)in a 20 mph+ wind. I won't shoot test loads in a gale force wind, but in N.D. we go out shooting when the wind is up quite a bit.

Unfortunately I still have to sight in the scope I just mounted on it, as well as do the load development. Figured no reason to waste the powder, and LRX bullets at 88 cents each!

Unfortunately I still have to sight in the scope I just mounted on it, as well as do the load development. Figured no reason to waste the powder, and LRX bullets at 88 cents each!
Gotcha, I wouldn't either.
I'll sometimes toss some average slop together just to get out, but if the rifle's new and not sighted in, it doesn't make much sense.
It seems like I'm shooting more Barnes these days. I'm using their 300gr tsx in my 375, and their 171matchburner in the 7stw. I've also got a mrx load for the 270 win.

Hey, Lizardsnep, you need to remember that a belted mag is headspaced, and measured at the belt, NOT the shoulder. On belted mags, the shoulder is not part of the measurement, or the headspacing at all. It is all on the belt. The only way to measure a belted mag is with a GO/ No GO gauge.
What you ARE telling me is that you may have a generous chamber, but when you set your dies up as " bump" dies, you are all set. I have seen as much as .040 slop between new brass, and the shoulder. When the brass is fired, it stretches, and fills that void. That is what causes the shiny ring just ahead of the belt. This is the ploy with belted mag, in this caliber, or ANYTHING with a belt. Some people hate em' because of that. I except it, and adjust my dies accordingly. Once you find that sweet spot, you are golden!!!

thanks , yah I new it was pretty loose from the measurements ,just wondering if it was real bad , my cases expand quite alot(length & width) from new brass , I seen the ring and was worried about head separation ..I have a 338wm and its fine

has anyone used the body collet to resize there belted cases? it resizes that area infront of the belt that normal dies dont or just keep bumbing till u need a FL re-size ?
I'd like to try a body die with a lee collet neck die but u have to get it custom made from lee

thanks , yah I new it was pretty loose from the measurements ,just wondering if it was real bad , my cases expand quite alot(length & width) from new brass , I seen the ring and was worried about head separation ..I have a 338wm and its fine

has anyone used the body collet to resize there belted cases? it resizes that area infront of the belt that normal dies dont or just keep bumbing till u need a FL re-size ?
I'd like to try a body die with a lee collet neck die but u have to get it custom made from lee

I have personally not had any experience with them, but in theory, it makes sense, as far as the body dies.
As far as the clearance with new brass, versus your chamber, it will vary between manufacture. Years ago, when Winchester was making STW brass, it seemed as though their brass and my chamber were close, because after the first firing, I hardly had a " ring" at all. Overall case growth was minimal.
I have a 7 mag die, that I set up to use as neck sizer die. The body contour is exactly the same from the neck to the bottom of the die. With the way that I have it set up, it serves as a neck die, AND a body die at the same time. I have been using it for a few months now, and it works great. Case life has been awesome, and chamber fit is like a glove. It is easy to set it up too.

Range Data: Rifle 7mm SAKO V Hunter 75, 24 inch barrel. Temp 80 f, Elevation 2700 ft, Humidity 5%, 100 yards, Nosler Partition 160 grain, H1000 77 grain. Chrono FPS avg of 6 shots 2980 fps. Highest 2996 fps. Lowest 2949 fps. 3 shot Group 0.061 inch.

I would like to see a more narrow spread in FPS.

I will need to replace this barrel at the end of this season. Who can provide a good replacement barrel for an old Sako V Model 75 hunter? I really like this stock and receiver. A quality 26 inch barrel should make this shooter shine.

Range Data: Rifle 7mm SAKO V Hunter 75, 24 inch barrel. Temp 80 f, Elevation 2700 ft, Humidity 5%, 100 yards, Nosler Partition 160 grain, H1000 77 grain. Chrono FPS avg of 6 shots 2980 fps. Highest 2996 fps. Lowest 2949 fps. 3 shot Group 0.061 inch.

I would like to see a more narrow spread in FPS.

I will need to replace this barrel at the end of this season. Who can provide a good replacement barrel for an old Sako V Model 75 hunter? I really like this stock and receiver. A quality 26 inch barrel should make this shooter shine.
Why, she's doing fine. For a sporter in a cal. like the stw to be under .1" is great. Your sd and avg. speed are ballpark for that bbl. length too. You'll get 50 fps or so and no better sd with a 26". 1% is normal for sd, you are at .5%. Replace her when she pukes, not before that. I had 1500+ rounds on my last stw, and I regret not shooting her out first before going to the next one. At 1500+ rounds it was still putting up .3" to .4" cloverleafs at 100 yards.

Lefty,

Thanks for the response. I am not looking to replace the barrel right now. I would like to get hold of a good barrel maker that has good experience with this type of caliber. A few conversations and I should be able to decide upon the design for a good accurate barrel. I am looking this early because of the wait time. I expect up to a several month wait for a barrel to be built, backorders and all.

I am moving to 200,300,400 yds later this week. I expect a good Zero range will be 300 yds. Thanks for the advise and happy shooting.

I have personally not had any experience with them, but in theory, it makes sense, as far as the body dies.
As far as the clearance with new brass, versus your chamber, it will vary between manufacture. Years ago, when Winchester was making STW brass, it seemed as though their brass and my chamber were close, because after the first firing, I hardly had a " ring" at all. Overall case growth was minimal.
I have a 7 mag die, that I set up to use as neck sizer die. The body contour is exactly the same from the neck to the bottom of the die. With the way that I have it set up, it serves as a neck die, AND a body die at the same time. I have been using it for a few months now, and it works great. Case life has been awesome, and chamber fit is like a glove. It is easy to set it up too.

I have 7mag dies , do u set it as usual to bump it? or do u just do a FL size?
I havnt seen new stw win brass here (canada) in 10yrs
My other problem is my throat , max oal to load in my gun is about 3.645 BUT I dont touch the lands till 3.702 ...with a .20 (3.682)jump Iam still .37 to long !!

Lizard,I have all kinds of dies but I prefer Lee dies,I use the collet neck die on everything I load and Im also a firm believer in the Lee factory crimp die but thats a whole nother subject.The collet die is made so you can adjust your neck tension IMO they are worth the money.....7STW uses one he improvised out of a 7 mag die which is cool and saved him some scratch as well

Recent Posts