7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

If she balances better and there's no rattle than it's ok by me. It still has to shoot. Factory stocks typically need a little work, heck, my gunsmith did some on mine and it was an HS Precision he had to sand and fill. I'm just getting to the point of wanting to start taking things apart and learning how to customize to my own liking. It's so hard to get a gun customized for several shooting positions, especially when the cartridge is powerful.

Butterbean--Saw the pics, looks good! No skim bedding, yes really big palm swell. Action looks to be fine, although its filthy! Factory trigger feels like it has been tuned. Don't have a trigger pull gauge, but it feels pretty light, guessing about 3-4 lbs. It has a removable muzzle brake, and the crown looks to be good, as best as my non gunsmith eyes can see. Barrel was turned down 1/2 inch or so for the threading and then I'm assuming it was recrowned
Good deal Dude ......I agee wit 7stw and Dano,I would work that stock its sounds like a good one with a little tweaking,Sounds like everything is in order for it to be a shooter,

Here it is side by side with my VSSF stock from my 22-250. I'm guessing with the big palm swell, and the dual front swivels that the orange stock is one of the newer Sendero II stocks. The bedding block and pillars look similar. I'll probably keep it, and just repaint it or hydro dip it. I kinda like this camo pattern.....http://www.blackicecoatings.com/images/camouflage/MORNINGWOOD.jpg :D

Attachments

• DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 23
7stw, I'm interested in the pictures of the new rig when it arrives. I'm going to look for some pictures, it sounds like it is custom though? Especially with a McMillan stock. I'm buying a McMillan next, either the M-24, 40 or the HTG.. I like when the palm swells area is narrower as I often switch from sling to carrying and it's more natural when hiking on hills where you can slip. Does anyone own an HS Precision Pro-Series 2000?

Do anyone know if I have my barrel fluted to reduce some of the front end weight it would impact the accuracy? Does it need to be re-heat treated?

Just got back from Turkey hunting but without a bird! There's always next weekend or the grocery store!

I like the women on that stock jpeg! If you look at it too much you might miss an animal in the crosshairs, you know, those short curly hairs can be distracting!

Ed, You're funny!

Bob,

You sound as excited as I was when I found my 7stw in the gun shop. I couldn't stop telling everybody about the deal of the century.

You truly have a sweet rig coming to you. I wish I had that kind of cash or means to be able to get into a rifle of that caliber when it came up. I wish I could get into that .300 Ultra that you are trading out of, always wanted one.

You've got to admit that sometimes dreams do come true. To ge the one rifle you've always wanted....... such a sweet thing.

Sorry for being late to the party, Been out all day with the Family.

Dan

I have noticed that most of you guys are listing loads for the 140 gr. bullets. What about the 160 class? It seems that that is where the extra power gets behind a high bc bullet and outshines most other hunting rounds.

What is the highest bc in 140? Amax is a reported 625 in 162 gr.

7stw, I'm interested in the pictures of the new rig when it arrives. I'm going to look for some pictures, it sounds like it is custom though? Especially with a McMillan stock. I'm buying a McMillan next, either the M-24, 40 or the HTG.. I like when the palm swells area is narrower as I often switch from sling to carrying and it's more natural when hiking on hills where you can slip. Does anyone own an HS Precision Pro-Series 2000?

Do anyone know if I have my barrel fluted to reduce some of the front end weight it would impact the accuracy? Does it need to be re-heat treated?

Just got back from Turkey hunting but without a bird! There's always next weekend or the grocery store!

Ed, yes it is a Custom, but it is a Factory custom. Winchester made these awhile back, when they where in New Haven. The only thing " Winchester" has into it is the action. The rest of the gun is premium aftermarket stuff. The action is s " select" and is hand honed, and trued in there custom shop.I saw one a few years ago in 300 win mag, a friend of mine in maryland owns it, it is a absolute lazer. as I said before, the barrel, is a Schneider, stainless, the action is black, and the stock is a McMillan, and it is bedded.
As far as your barrel goes, if you do get it fluted, your POI will change, because besides making it lighter, and helps it cool quicker, due to added surface area, it also stiffens the barrel therefore most probably POI will be affected. I am not sure about the heat treatment, as to if it needs to be done or not. When you flute a barrel after the fact, it does " stress" the barrel. Some say that cryo treating is a even better way to go to releive stress.
And what is this, no Turkey???? My area is eat up with them, and New Hampshire is loaded with them too! I haven't been in a few years, maybe I should go and de- stress myself. Take care!!!

I have noticed that most of you guys are listing loads for the 140 gr. bullets. What about the 160 class? It seems that that is where the extra power gets behind a high bc bullet and outshines most other hunting rounds.

What is the highest bc in 140? Amax is a reported 625 in 162 gr.

I think it is more of a mixed bag. Some of the guys are shooting 180's, I have been shooting 168's, and 162 A- Maxes, 150 BT, 154 spire point, etc. One of my guns loves 140 CT, and another likes 140 TSX. I am building one as we speak that I want to shoot the 180's out of it exclusively. The 180's are growing on me. ( some one here talked me into them) Ha ha .

Hey Guys,
A couple of questions:

1. How many STWs are too many?

2. What is the lightest weight that makes sense for an STW with a 26 inch bbl?

I have an early unmodified STW Sendero and another Sendero with a 26" Krieger bbl. about the same contour as the Sendero bbl. but un-fluted, so it's a bit heavier than the Sendero.

Thinking about rebuilding a Win. 70 Winlite .338 Win mag (pushfeed) into a lighter STW.
I would want at least a 26" bbl. probably fluted for weight and maybe use the Winlite stock.
I think it's actually a McMillian fiberglass sporter style stock that Winchester used some years ago.

Suggestions as to bbl. weight/contour? Comments?

Thanks,
Jim

Hey Guys,
A couple of questions:

1. How many STWs are too many?

2. What is the lightest weight that makes sense for an STW with a 26 inch bbl?

I have an early unmodified STW Sendero and another Sendero with a 26" Krieger bbl. about the same contour as the Sendero bbl. but un-fluted, so it's a bit heavier than the Sendero.

Thinking about rebuilding a Win. 70 Winlite .338 Win mag (pushfeed) into a lighter STW.
I would want at least a 26" bbl. probably fluted for weight and maybe use the Winlite stock.
I think it's actually a McMillian fiberglass sporter style stock that Winchester used some years ago.

Suggestions as to bbl. weight/contour? Comments?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim, First off there is no such thing as to many STW's and as for the barrel Im a heavy barrel fan so I would stay with at least a varmit contour if you dont mind the weight,I have a buddy who has a skinny barrel BDL that shoots awesome for three rounds and then it starts stringing them it always comes back but three shots is it for about twenty minute cool down but like I said its a factory tube, as for building a Winchester, You go Brother,I know I love mine

Last edited:

Recent Posts