7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks. Question for you and others that have the same gun. What have you done in an attemp to try and make it as accurate as possible? Mine still has the factory stock which I think I will change out next year and get it bedded. I have adjusted the trigger as best I can but that is it.

The 4 loads I loaded up the other day are:

140gr AB 77.5gr 7828ssc Federal 215 primer
140gr TTSX 77.5gr 7828ssc Federal 215
140gr AB 79gr RL25 Federal 215
140gr TTSX 79gr RL25 Federal 215

I have not had the opportunity to shoot them yet.

First things first. My stock is the synthetic one. I have not bedded it yet, but am getting geared up to do so. I might actually pillar bed it as well. It is going to be tricky, but I think I can pull it off. That front action screw has a notch cut into the channel at the recoil lug. I have looked around for aftermarket stocks. I found one made by lone wolf. It is pricey!!!! Somebody said McMillan makes one as well. I am not sure what to do about the stock. It is better than most, but it can be improved. Do you have the same, or do you have the wooden stock?
As far as your loads, they seem to be on track for good starters. I have three STW's, and am building another as we speak. A couple of the loads you have there are close to some of the ones that work for me. Overall, I have had my best overall performance with RL 22. That stuff makes um' sing! IMR 7828 is awesome as well.

Yes, I have the same stock and have been told by a couple gunsmiths that attempting to bed it was going to be a futile effort. McMillan does make an aftermarket stock for it I just have not pulled the trigger on buying it yet. Thanks for the tip on the RL22 I will have to try it also.

7stw - what scope do you have on yours. I currently have a Leupold VX-2 3X9X40 I am looking to upgrade also.

Nice rig Black sheep.....What kind scope did you say you were gonna put on it?........As far as the stock Brownellshas a really good selection of paints for stocks that really look good I have some pics of one my Buddy just did if your interested
Its gonna wear a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 with the TMR reticle. EGW rail and Burris Signature Zee rings on the way. I'm curious about the recoil pad on this one. (Im out of town right now, can't check it out) from the pic, you can see that it's really thin, and there's a thin aluminum spacer between it and the stock. I'm wondering if it is a mercury recoil reducer?!?!? The stock has a really fat palm swell, and dual front swivels (most forward one is broken off:rolleyes:) So, I'm thinking it is not the factory sendero stock. Can't wait to get back home and rip it apart! Oh, I was also able to get 100rds of new remington brass off of Gunbroker for $106.25 shipped! Can't wait!!! gun)
On edit: Yeah, would love some pics for ideas!

Attachments

• 7mmstw.jpg
    7mmstw.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
7stw - what scope do you have on yours. I currently have a Leupold VX-2 3X9X40 I am looking to upgrade also.

Currently, I have a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 AO 44mm. Sharp and clear optics, bought it used, great price. Works great. I prefer higher magnification for when I am doing old work, and long-range hunting. It is easier on my eyes too. I have a astigmatism in my right eye, and when I look through a scope too long, it dives it nuts. A high power, CLEAR scope is a HUGE help.

Its gonna wear a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 with the TMR reticle. EGW rail and Burris Signature Zee rings on the way. I'm curious about the recoil pad on this one. (Im out of town right now, can't check it out) from the pic, you can see that it's really thin, and there's a thin aluminum spacer between it and the stock. I'm wondering if it is a mercury recoil reducer?!?!? The stock has a really fat palm swell, and dual front swivels (most forward one is broken off:rolleyes:) So, I'm thinking it is not the factory sendero stock. Can't wait to get back home and rip it apart! Oh, I was also able to get 100rds of new remington brass off of Gunbroker for $106.25 shipped! Can't wait!!! gun)

Blacksheep, Welcome to Brotherhood!!!! Nice Hot Rod! It looks like it is going 300 miles an hour standing still with that orange paint. What scope is that , that is on it now? I know it is a Leupold, but what model? Do you have plans for the scope? If you do not, I may be interested. I am upgrading some glass on a few of my rifles.
You are in for a fun ride with that STW. Once you get it to shoot to your liking, you will find excuses to take it to the range and shoot it. Anytime!!! They are truly awesome, and flat out smoke deer in there tracks. Take care of it, it will take care of you. Dont be afraid to ask a question, or if something isn't right, post a comment, someone will chime in and help you out! Take care, and all the best on your new toy!

Black Sheep here is the one we just got done it has a really nice feel 220.jpg

2201.jpg

2202.jpg

Butter Bean,

I wouldn't stress the flattened primers. They aren't mecessarily the best indicator for an over pressure load. I say that because it may be caused by loose primer pockets and you may actually see the primers flatten with the same piece of brass, the more your round count is. I've actually seen this with my .30-06 AI. Just a thought. Stiff bolt lift and and ejector marks are better indicators of a high pressure load and shouldn't be ignored.

Black Sheep,

You might want to consider using Warne Maxima rings. They are super strong and I have them on three of my rifles. They are also compatable with Picatiny Rails and they don't move. Just a thought.

You can see them on my 7 STW:
7 STW 3.JPG

That orange stock Looks interesting, It should be easy to re-paint. There are some good primers that you could just cover the existing paint and then with your color of choice. I'd put a pachmeyer decelarator to replace the butt pad and then tap out that broke stud and replace it.

The stock, In my book, is worth saving and wouldn't be too big of a problem to remedy.

Dan

That pic was taken by the seller on Gunbroker. It was a 6.5-20x40 but since I already had the mk4, I didn't get the scope. I have two buddies with Sendero's in STW, and they are both hammers! Both have killed elk and deer, just not at really long range. I'm hoping to fix that soon....gun)

Black Sheep,

You might want to consider using Warne Maxima rings. They are super strong and I have them on three of my rifles. They are also compatable with Picatiny Rails and they don't move. Just a thought.

View attachment 9135

That orange stock Looks interesting, It should be easy to re-paint. There are some good primers that you could just cover the existing paint and then with your color of choice. I'd put a pachmeyer decelarator to replace the butt pad and then tap out that broke stud and replace it.

The stock, In my book, is worth saving and wouldn't be too big of a problem to remedy.

Dan
Ive got a set of Warnes on my Tikka, and I really like them. Guy I know has the Burris signatures on his 338, and loves them. Only problem is that Brownells shows them on backorder. Who knows, if they don't arrive in stock soon, then I'm definitely going Warne!

Butter Bean,

I wouldn't stress the flattened primers. They aren't mecessarily the best indicator for an over pressure load. I say that because it may be caused by loose primer pockets and you may actually see the primers flatten with the same piece of brass, the more your round count is. I've actually seen this with my .30-06 AI. Just a thought. Stiff bolt lift and and ejector marks are better indicators of a high pressure load and shouldn't be ignored.

Black Sheep,

View attachment 9135

Dan
Dano,like I said thats the only thing that showed pressure so I reckon I'll let it ride,Thanks Bro

Yes, I have the same stock and have been told by a couple gunsmiths that attempting to bed it was going to be a futile effort. McMillan does make an aftermarket stock for it I just have not pulled the trigger on buying it yet. Thanks for the tip on the RL22 I will have to try it also.

Hey Sako 75, check out the thread in the Rifles, Barrels, and Ballistics section titled " New Stock Line" by Tikka Shooters. They have a stock for Sako 75' series V, but.....you decide! WOW, very nice.....But!

7 stw - those stocks look great but they are also heavy and I can't imagine packing that around on my back on a moose or elk hunt.....

Recent Posts