7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Wouldn't it be cool if WE, could somehow get a message to Layne Simpson at Shooting Times Magazine, and invite him to read through some of the threads in this ," blog" that we have formed? In a way, it would end up being a tribute, sorta' but I think he would be impressed. The RE- surgence of this awesome cartridge is just that, just plain awesome, and undeniably the baddest 7mm cartridge out there. There are faster, but not better. How do you guys suppose we could do such a thing? Maybe he would even drop us a hint or two, seeing how he is the maker! What do ya think?

My new Viper PST 6- 24x 50 FFP in EBR-1 MOA just came in. I cant wait to mount it on my 7STW and see how she works!

I have the same scope on my two Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW rifles.

If you are like me you are absolutely going to love it!

What mounts and rings are you using with the scope?

The set-up I use on each of my two Senderos is a 20 MOA EGW for the Picatinny rail and low Burris 30mm Tactical Rings. They seem to hold pretty well with the recoil and with the 20 MOA rail I can dial it out to over 1,400 yards if I want.

Wouldn't it be cool if WE, could somehow get a message to Layne Simpson at Shooting Times Magazine, and invite him to read through some of the threads in this ," blog" that we have formed? In a way, it would end up being a tribute, sorta' but I think he would be impressed. The RE- surgence of this awesome cartridge is just that, just plain awesome, and undeniably the baddest 7mm cartridge out there. There are faster, but not better. How do you guys suppose we could do such a thing? Maybe he would even drop us a hint or two, seeing how he is the maker! What do ya think?

That would be pretty cool Bob!

I bet someone at "Shooting Times Western" still knows how we could get in touch with Layne Simpson.

Well, I'm now officially in the Brotherhood! Just filled out the FFL paperwork yesterday for my new baby I got off of gunbroker. Mounts and rings are on order, but the scope is already waiting! Picked up a Rem 700 SPS stainless in 7mag for $500 delivered at the same time, Looks like I am going to be spending some time at the reloading bench, and out at the range. Dangit, my life sucks :D Now I gotta figure out what I am going to do about the bright orange/sparkly stock!!!

Attachments

• 7mmstw.jpg
    7mmstw.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 24
Awesome idea 7stw I think we are doing him proud.........My self I've got trouble in paridise......got some trigger time today and once again the STW shot AWESOME with the only load I have loaded so far (RL22@79gr Barnes 140, 215m) 5 groups all under .4 @ 100yd with a full value wind,But when I got back in lab I found that I had flat primers .......I am depressed

First post for me. I have owned a Stock Sako 75 7mm STW for about 5 years now and sadly just getting into reloading. I have had buddies load for me in the past. I just Loading some 140gr AB and 140gr TTSX. I have been using 160gr AB with great success for the past 3 hunting seasons.

First post for me. I have owned a Stock Sako 75 7mm STW for about 5 years now and sadly just getting into reloading. I have had buddies load for me in the past. I just Loading some 140gr AB and 140gr TTSX. I have been using 160gr AB with great success for the past 3 hunting seasons.
Hey Sako,Welcome aboard ........ A wealth of knowledge on the STW here and lots of good folks, If you have a question just ask and you shall receive........Welcome to the Brotherhood

I will for sure. I have to sit down and go through all the pages in here and pick out some questions.

Welcome aboard to "The Brotherhood" Sako 75. I too have a Sako 75 in 7 STW. She is definitely a shooter. It took me a while to figure out what IT wanted to shoot, rather than what I wanted it to shoot. I have two loads that it shoots very well, and another load that just needs a little tweaking, if I decide to pursue it. As far as the questions you have, especially if you are going to read through the threads to get them, you have A LOT of reading to do. Almost 500 threads and comments, in a short time, but some pretty awesome reading, I must admit. There are , as was already mentioned, some good guys here, and a pretty good " braintrust" as well. I have loved this round since they legitimized it in about 1996, and have owned them since that time. I read about it, before they legitimized it, when it was a wildcat, and it gave me goosebumps then. take care, and gobble up all the knowledge that you can. It is all right here. Again, Welcome!:rolleyes:

Well, I'm now officially in the Brotherhood! Just filled out the FFL paperwork yesterday for my new baby I got off of gunbroker. Mounts and rings are on order, but the scope is already waiting! Picked up a Rem 700 SPS stainless in 7mag for $500 delivered at the same time, Looks like I am going to be spending some time at the reloading bench, and out at the range. Dangit, my life sucks :D Now I gotta figure out what I am going to do about the bright orange/sparkly stock!!!
Nice rig Black sheep.....What kind scope did you say you were gonna put on it?........As far as the stock Brownellshas a really good selection of paints for stocks that really look good I have some pics of one my Buddy just did if your interested

Awesome idea 7stw I think we are doing him proud.........My self I've got trouble in paridise......got some trigger time today and once again the STW shot AWESOME with the only load I have loaded so far (RL22@79gr Barnes 140, 215m) 5 groups all under .4 @ 100yd with a full value wind,But when I got back in lab I found that I had flat primers .......I am depressed

Butterbean, what was the weather like when you shot that load? If it was warmer that what it will be when you go hunting, I would not worry about TOO much. That is one thing about RL22, it is some temp sensitive stuff. Or, if you intend to shoot it during warm weather, back it off a grain or two. One other option might be try H1000. Otherwise, if it isn't TOO flat, just watch it! It is good to be aware of things like that though. Some guys don't even bother to look. Did you have any other symptoms, ie, stiff bolt, shiny spot at ejector spring? ???????lightbulb

Butterbean, what was the weather like when you shot that load? If it was warmer that what it will be when you go hunting, I would not worry about TOO much. That is one thing about RL22, it is some temp sensitive stuff. Or, if you intend to shoot it during warm weather, back it off a grain or two. One other option might be try H1000. Otherwise, if it isn't TOO flat, just watch it! It is good to be aware of things like that though. Some guys don't even bother to look. Did you have any other symptoms, ie, stiff bolt, shiny spot at ejector spring? ???????lightbulb
Hey 7, No other signs other than the primer and yeah it was about 15 degrees warmer than the last session ......I can live with it when its shooting in the .3,s

Welcome aboard to "The Brotherhood" Sako 75. I too have a Sako 75 in 7 STW. She is definitely a shooter. It took me a while to figure out what IT wanted to shoot, rather than what I wanted it to shoot. I have two loads that it shoots very well, and another load that just needs a little tweaking, if I decide to pursue it. As far as the questions you have, especially if you are going to read through the threads to get them, you have A LOT of reading to do. Almost 500 threads and comments, in a short time, but some pretty awesome reading, I must admit. There are , as was already mentioned, some good guys here, and a pretty good " braintrust" as well. I have loved this round since they legitimized it in about 1996, and have owned them since that time. I read about it, before they legitimized it, when it was a wildcat, and it gave me goosebumps then. take care, and gobble up all the knowledge that you can. It is all right here. Again, Welcome!:rolleyes:

Thanks. Question for you and others that have the same gun. What have you done in an attemp to try and make it as accurate as possible? Mine still has the factory stock which I think I will change out next year and get it bedded. I have adjusted the trigger as best I can but that is it.

The 4 loads I loaded up the other day are:

140gr AB 77.5gr 7828ssc Federal 215 primer
140gr TTSX 77.5gr 7828ssc Federal 215
140gr AB 79gr RL25 Federal 215
140gr TTSX 79gr RL25 Federal 215

I have not had the opportunity to shoot them yet.

Thanks. Question for you and others that have the same gun. What have you done in an attemp to try and make it as accurate as possible? Mine still has the factory stock which I think I will change out next year and get it bedded. I have adjusted the trigger as best I can but that is it.

The 4 loads I loaded up the other day are:

140gr AB 77.5gr 7828ssc Federal 215 primer
140gr TTSX 77.5gr 7828ssc Federal 215
140gr AB 79gr RL25 Federal 215
140gr TTSX 79gr RL25 Federal 215

I have not had the opportunity to shoot them yet.
Hey Sako IMO I think the Rl25 will be a little to slow for the 140's but let us know how it shoots

Recent Posts