7mm prc

I think it's just a 7mag that is gonna have better factory ammo and faster twist rates in factory rifles. I'm sure it'll be very popular especially for those who don't reload or don't wanna spend the $$ on a custom set up. But as far as performance wise I can't see any difference in the two.just like the 300PRC is a well throated 300 win mag.

dumb-dumb-and-dumber.gif

The standard 9 twist barrels will handle any 7mm bullet up to the 180 gr lead core/cup jacketed bullet. So for this class of rifle, there is really no need for much more. In my opinion, the 180 gr class is about perfect for top end bullet weight in this class 7mm. Going to the heavier 190-195 gr class will drop velocity significantly and actually will have no real advantage over the faster 180s out to well past 1000 yards.

performance wise, its a ballistic twin to the 7mm Rem Mag which is very good company for sure. Nothing new, just a different case producing same performance.

those that say it has an advantage with more consistent factory ammo really dont have much to support that, other then right now there are very few ammo makers making this ammo.

if it gains popularity and all the ammo makers start making their version of the 7mm prc, there will be the same variation issues that any other popular round has to deal with such as the 7mm rem mag. Right now, just very limited options so seems like consistency is better…. That will change as its popularity grows, if it does. Good round, good performance but nothing ground breaking. Just another good mid sized 7mm round.

Berger's stability calculator says their 180 grain hunting bullet at 2975fps (Hornady's 180 load velocity) has only marginal stability at 1:9 twist @32 degrees @ sea level. Going to 1-8, bumps the same well into "comfortable stability" range.

Not sure that anybody should decide for everybody else that they don't need that much bullet or more.

Berger's stability calculator says their 180 grain hunting bullet at 2975fps (Hornady's 180 load velocity) has only marginal stability at 1:9 twist @32 degrees @ sea level. Going to 1-8, bumps the same well into "comfortable stability" range.

Not sure that anybody should decide for everybody else that they don't need that much bullet or more.
I bet @Fiftydriver didn't realize what Berger's stability calculator says. He probably doesn't have much experience with 7mms anyways. 😀

9 is not the standard twist in many factory 7mm rem mag. My savage is 9.5 and some Remington are 9.25.

I will never own another 7mm that is 8 or faster.

9 is not the standard twist in many factory 7mm rem mag. My savage is 9.5 and some Remington are 9.25.

I will never own another 7mm that is 8 or faster.

Virtually all the new 7PRC guns have an 8" twist. This will go a long way into maximizing terminal performance with heavy bullets. Accuracy alone is not the only issue IMO.

Virtually all the new 7PRC guns have an 8" twist. This will go a long way into maximizing terminal performance with heavy bullets. Accuracy alone is not the only issue IMO.

I was stating hornady got in right making 8 the standard.

My post was stated wrong. I will never own a 7mm that is not a 8 twist or faster.

Sorry for the confusion. My 28 is a 8 twist. I was trying to find a 7.5 for my 7mm prc build.

I was stating hornady got in right making 8 the standard.

My post was stated wrong. I will never own a 7mm that is not a 8 twist or faster.

Sorry for the confusion. My 28 is a 8 twist. I was trying to find a 7.5 for my 7mm prc build.
Never seen anything faster than an 8 twist for any .28 cal barrel.