7mm-300 Win Mag "7MM-WESTER"

Wild Monkey

Rummaging through the Pink Vault basement again.... I always had the desire for a 7mm-300 Win Mag. Most Shooters who build a straight neck-down version don't speak highly of it (for whatever reason). This version has a slightly longer neck. It utilizes the Weatherby double-radius design. Zero donuts are apparent. The Weatherby design forms the brass beautifully and makes it a natural creation. I have a Rem Mag barrel if I ever find a gunsmith willing to chamber it. "7mm-300 Weather-Chester" or "7-300 Wby-Win"? "7mm-Wester" it is. The photo shows 162 ELDX.

Attachments

• 7mm Wester.jpg
    7mm Wester.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
The straight necked down version is an excellent round, and once upon a time, there were several members of this forum shooting them, including myself. I actually just chambered another one early last fall but haven't tinkered with it much yet. Most folks figure out that none of the bastardized versions offer enough performance gain to make them worth the extra trouble it takes to form cases. That round you have is a good-looking round, and I'd suspect you're just running the 300 case up into a 7mm Weatherby die. Is that correct?

The double radius on the weatherby, STOPS doughnuts in their tracks, most miss this.

Jarrett re invented the 7 Mashburn and the 7 Practical. With high quality 300 Win mag brass available now, both of these cases are a tremendous improvement over the std 7/300 Win mag which will have brass flow into the neck.

The 7 Mashburn is what the 7 Rem Mag should have been where the 162s at 3200 gives forever case life and 3350 is top end.

I do remember way back in the 70,s they guys who were attempting to build 1000 yard rifles were necking down 300. Weatherby cases to 7mm ! That was the first time I ever heard the term BC !! Apparently in the very early stages of Long Range shooting that was a concept that many thought was an intelligent design ! I think , with the availableity of more precise barrels , it could still be a good idea!! I truly enjoyed reading about the experiments of that time ! Here we are 1/2 a century later ,still tinkering and hitting 10 inch plates 1000 yards away and even 1200 to 1500 yards has become possible ! For me this is still exciting . Reminds me of NASA in the 60,s ! I love this stuff!

Recent Posts