7 WSM or 7RM

Well after some more searching I have found that the little WSM actually has more loads at 2900 than the RM! and this is from a 24" tube or at least the data I found. This rifle will be sporting a 28" so I would think 3100fps should not be an issue, checking on JBM 3k and the 180 bullet would have no issue of hitting the 1760 mark. Guys thanks again for the info this site is a great place for information. Later,

Kirk

Is everything. If everything else is equal the useful case volume capacity will always win.

Peter

From the case drawings I have seen, the 7RM and the 7WSM have about the same volume capacity. Right at about 80g.

I only bring it up because much of the discussion was based on the different capacity of the cases.

Well after some more searching I have found that the little WSM actually has more loads at 2900 than the RM! and this is from a 24" tube or at least the data I found. This rifle will be sporting a 28" so I would think 3100fps should not be an issue, checking on JBM 3k and the 180 bullet would have no issue of hitting the 1760 mark. Guys thanks again for the info this site is a great place for information. Later,

Kirk

I was told by Kevin Rayhill (Stockade) not to go much longer than 26" on the WSM, that I wouldn't gain much beyond that. The 7wsm is the caliber he recommends for 1000yds.

Out to about 32", I seems to get more velocity with less chamber pressure at every step.

I think rifle balance is more important then barrel length for handeling, but your milage may vary.

My Target 7WSM currently wears a 28" barrel and will be wearing a 30" barrel when this one is burned out. Free velocity and lower chamber pressure (keys in the Las Vegas desert where it gets a bit hot in the summer).

When I lived in Houston, I shot the same rifle wearing a 26" barrel and ran noticably higher pressures at the same velocity. That load did not survive the Vegas Summer - popping primers is not my idea of a good time. When I switched to the 28" barrel, I reduced the load by nearly a grain of powder and had the same velocity.

There is no need to push your rig to 3,100 fps with the Berger 180s to reach 1,760, you can comfortably get there - at least at 2,200 ft alt - with 2,950-3,000 fps.

JeffVN

I would say that 90% of my shooting would be from 800 - 1250 alt. I live in Oklahoma so not too many things to make things real high! I found out on the 243 that the longer barrel and slower powder my velocity just went up and none of those funny primer issues and much more friendly on the brass and went from IMR4350 to Retumbo with the 105's. Yeah I talked to Kevin when I ordered some stuff for the Savage and he was pretty high on the 7WSM Kirby said it would be at the low end but would make the 1760 with the 180's. I guess things are looking pretty promissing for the WSM! now I just need to locate a SS10x42 since this is a budget rifle or at least I'm shooting for that! Later,

Kirk

In my limited testing of the 180 Bergers I had no trouble getting 3000 fps out of a 7mm SAUM in a 28" barrel so you should have no trouble getting to a mile and beyond with the 7mm WSM and the 180 Bergers.

James

i am shooting at and altitude of 1750. my load is 67.5 gr of h4831 and i have this load shooting 3115fps out of my 28 inch broughton 5c. this is chambered in 7 wsm

Kirk,

Hey long 1760 yards sounds like fun. What type of bullet seater are you using for the Berger bullets? That ogive is thin! Do you have much run out?. Thanks for the info, this is my first post.

dmuff gun)

Haven't got the rifle done yet! the 243 has to be finished first then I can start buying bits and pieces. With the hick-up in my income it will prob be the end of summer before I'm done. LR is a blast and it keeps my mind busy. Welcome! Later,

Kirk

If you use a Redding Competition Seating die, call Redding customer service, ask for Patrick, and tell him you want the Berger seating stem. I just had him make me Berger Ogive specific seating die stems for 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm. He made some extras, but you need to call and ask for them.

I think that I paid $20 for the replacement seating stem and they did the shaping work for free.

JeffVN

Thanks! I normally use RCBS but have been looking at the Hornady dies, I talked to them and they will make the seating stem for the A-Max's I shoot from my 243 kinda figured with the help they have given I should at least return the favor. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.