7 saum or 7 wsm

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
Yes powders are a consideration. H1000 is one of my favorites. N570 and RL26 are proving to be very temp stable and yield slightly more velocity. Some say RL26 has pressure spikes over 85 degrees. I typically do not shoot in those temps.

Last edited:
That's really good velocity with H1000 in a SAUM, I hit pressure around 2875 with that combo in my 7-300 WSM. RL26 got me to 3k pretty easily, seems the SAUM would get there too..

I have had that node appear in a 26" barrel it was 2930. And 24" barrel it was right at 2900. CCI 250s were the ticket. Got an extra 65 FPS. With ADG 7 saum brass it was 64.5 grains H1000. I played the N570 and RL 26 game. Not for me. Started out chasing speed. Now I chase consistency. There are already enough variables with tuning rifles. The 7 Saum is not dead. Plenty of people shooting it in F class. Lack of quality brass is what kills cartridges.

Nothing wrong with any of these cases, they will all do the same thing within 75-100fps of another. Pick your poison and rock on, however I'll suggest going with a case that has the best aftermarket support, don't consider factory ammo as most of us will hand load. 7 saum adg brass prop gives it the edge, norma 7 blaser brass is good stuff. I'd persue one of these two. The only downfall of the 7 blaser, you can't get off the shelf bushing dies to set neck tension. However you can neck turn or hone your die to get your desired results.

Nothing wrong with any of these cases, they will all do the same thing within 75-100fps of another. Pick your poison and rock on, however I'll suggest going with a case that has the best aftermarket support, don't consider factory ammo as most of us will hand load. 7 saum adg brass prop gives it the edge, norma 7 blaser brass is good stuff. I'd persue one of these two. The only downfall of the 7 blaser, you can't get off the shelf bushing dies to set neck tension. However you can neck turn or hone your die to get your desired results.
Yeah I'm thinking the Blaser would be perfect, I'll check with the barrel maker, and if he has the reamer I'll probably go with it, otherwise I'm leaning saum.

I do not think you will get a 180 to go 3000 fps out of a SAUM with a 26" barrel, (at least not without excessive pressure) If that is a deal-breaker, then you should look at something with more powder capacity.

I would personally vote for the SAUM though. It has good, proven load data readily available, it is accurate (has won plenty of F class matches), good brass and dies are off the shelf.

If you like tinkering around with brass, fireforming, and playing with wildcats, trying to make bullets go a little faster then everyone else, then go for it! They are cool. But they usually end up costing more in time and money.

7 saum from RBROS
3000 fps in a 26 inch with 180's over RL26

If you don't have any RL26 I would try and get it before you go with the build. It's scarce and will be for awhile

I had a 25" barreled 7WSM that would achieve 3,000 ft/sec with the Berger 180s and 64.0gr IMR7828. Accuracy was very good with charges between 63-64gr. There were no pressure issues in the Win brass even at the higher charge.
I frequently shot 160gr class bullets at about 3,000 ft/sec were accuracy was the best but getting them up to about 3,200 ft sec wasn't too difficult.
I'm currently running a new 25" Bartlein barrel and 143gr Hammer bullets. RE23 easily gets them to 3,200 ft/sec and could probably go to 3,300 ft/sec but why bother?

I had a 25" barreled 7WSM that would achieve 3,000 ft/sec with the Berger 180s and 64.0gr IMR7828. Accuracy was very good with charges between 63-64gr. There were no pressure issues in the Win brass even at the higher charge.
I frequently shot 160gr class bullets at about 3,000 ft/sec were accuracy was the best but getting them up to about 3,200 ft sec wasn't too difficult.
I'm currently running a new 25" Bartlein barrel and 143gr Hammer bullets. RE23 easily gets them to 3,200 ft/sec and could probably go to 3,300 ft/sec but why bother?
Have you used Hornady 7 WSM brass by chance?

Have you used Hornady 7 WSM brass by chance?

Nope - I've never even seen any Hornady brass in 7WSM. I probably have 400 pieces of new Win brass so I won't be looking at anything else unless Lapua, Norma, or Alpha comes out with 7WSM brass, and that isn't very likely.

I really should have rebarreled in 7-300WSM but I've got all the Win brass and some expensive dies so I stayed with the 7WSM which is actually my favorite cartridge for all-around hunting.

I personally do not, but there are a few guys on here running it, @midnightmalloy and @Scouter, scouter is using an improved version lil less taper, 37° shoulder. It's a hot round, I don't know why it didn't catch on. Has a .317" neck, 2.35" length, same capacity and more efficient design of the 7mag. Quite a few guys in New Zealand use it as well. Hot rodded can push a 180 Berger to 3100fps, 180 eld-m over 3k. If you message me a phone number I can send you reamer drawings for the CIP/saami print, as well as the improved version.

I'm running one. It's been good and pretty accurate. Just search my name and you will find the treads with all the info.

Best argument is no fire forming or wildcating (if you want that simply follow elkaholic as he is the wizard), will run faster than 7rm, 7wsm, 7rsaum with less pressure, has good Norma brass and requires absolutely no modifications to a magnum action which can't be said always for a saum, wsm, or 28 nosler.

My suggestion is if you go with the blaser to simply purchase all the brass you can possibly want in one fail swoop.

7 saum from RBROS
3000 fps in a 26 inch with 180's over RL26

If you don't have any RL26 I would try and get it before you go with the build. It's scarce and will be for awhile

I had an RBros 7 saum that would do 3020 from a 26" barrel, and it was super accurate. That was in a short action with the 180 vld at 2.940 oal.
I checked rl26 for temp sensitivity from 100 to -10 degrees and it shot great with about a 30 FPS difference.

Wish I never sold that rifle, I was going to go 28 nosler on the next rifle but thinking another 7 saum will suit my needs better.

Building in a Tikka the 7 SAUM throated out is very sweet, the 7 Blaser is a touch long with 180's and you will be in the powder a little but the 175 Berger fits the Blaser and Tikka like a glove.
The WSM when you use magnum mag boxes you have to open up the inside just a touch so they don't hang up, the SAUM usually are fine and the Blaser is butter!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.