7 SAUM w 180gr Berger Hybrids or 300 RUM w 230gr Berger Hybrids

cb4128

Have a Utah Elk hunt in 10 days and was shooting my 2 best options that I currently own today.

I have a 7 SAUM that I'm shooting w 180gr Berger Hybrids at 2,890 fps that is shooting really well. I'm concerned I'd be giving up some effective range to my other option, that I used in NM on Elk 2 years ago - my 300 RUM w 230gr Berger Hybrids at 2,950 fps.

The SAUM has a 23" barrel and the RUM a 26" - both are roughly the same weight, so not gaining anything in that regard either way.

***I'm hoping someone has experience with the 180's on elk and can help steer me that direction - because it's super easy to shoot and spot impacts.

Thanks for the help!

The 230 will have more energy further out, but the 180 will be flatter and both will do the job. 1k or less it's up to you and recoil will be a big factor between the 2.

Have a Utah Elk hunt in 10 days and was shooting my 2 best options that I currently own today.

I have a 7 SAUM that I'm shooting w 180gr Berger Hybrids at 2,890 fps that is shooting really well. I'm concerned I'd be giving up some effective range to my other option, that I used in NM on Elk 2 years ago - my 300 RUM w 230gr Berger Hybrids at 2,950 fps.

The SAUM has a 23" barrel and the RUM a 26" - both are roughly the same weight, so not gaining anything in that regard either way.

***I'm hoping someone has experience with the 180's on elk and can help steer me that direction - because it's super easy to shoot and spot impacts.

Thanks for the help!
You're giving up 150 yards if you go with the saum assuming 1500 ft/lbs is your goal in elk. The 180's are awesome on elk. I have taken several with them. But then I'll say that the 230's are awesome in elk also. So unless you think your taking an elk at 1400 yards or more pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Bring them both 😁. Would be a game time decision for me. Assuming they both shoot good you never know what flavor you'll feel like from day to day....and who doesn't need a backup....sometimes I like IPAs sometimes I like light beer. As they both get the job done ✔️

If I go with "my" unwritten" for an elk-size game, it will be 1500 FT-LBS and 1600 FPS at POI. The 7MM SAUM is a 900Y set-up.
1727147827859.png

And for the 300 RUM, it's 1200Y.
1727148051365.png

The 300 RUM would be my choice, even for under 900Y.

I've never used a RUM so I'm biased. My SAUM is running the 180's at 2900 fps, so basically we mimic each other. My SAUM has taken over 40 animals, mostly african. The list includes 3 eland with 2 of those as 1 shot kills at 490 and 520 yds. My Livingston eland was hit a second time to be sure. He was much bigger than my cape buffalo. Likely 2000 lbs. The SAUM will do the job if you do your part. The RUm for over 1000 yds for sure tho.
Bruce

I've never used a RUM so I'm biased. My SAUM is running the 180's at 2900 fps, so basically we mimic each other. My SAUM has taken over 40 animals, mostly african. The list includes 3 eland with 2 of those as 1 shot kills at 490 and 520 yds. My Livingston eland was hit a second time to be sure. He was much bigger than my cape buffalo. Likely 2000 lbs. The SAUM will do the job if you do your part. The RUm for over 1000 yds for sure tho.
Bruce
I was waiting on your response gh! You should change your name……"180". Impressive experience with it for sure. Love reading your experiences on another continent

Last edited: