7 SAUM bullet recommendations

BuckeyeRifleman

Well I just went to buy more bullets for the season and discovered that Badlands Precision was no longer in business. Their owner passed away which is really sad.

I really fell in love with their 150gr bulldozer II's in my 7 SAUM. Just this week I did a little load development and got them to 2995 FPS under 58.0 gr of H4350 in a SAAMI chamber out of a 22" barrel comfortably. I had been shooting them at 56.5 and 2906 FPS previously.

Regardless of the fact, I need a new bullet for this season and I don't have a ton of time for load development.

I've used hammers before but their BC was abysmal, well below advertising. I don't put everything into BC, but it was bad enough I won't be going back.

I swore off ELD-X's after a bad experience, but that was with a slightly smaller caliber. They do shoot well though and are affordable. I'm open to giving them another go. That experience very well might not have been due to the bullet, though that's my suspicion.

I really don't love the idea of Bergers, but again they are excellent shooters. I just generally prefer traditional controlled expansion bonded or copper solid bullet on bigger game like elk. That said, I'm open to giving them a shot.

I tried ABLR's when the rifle was new, but they just didn't shoot well.

Rifle is as follows, 22" Short Action SAAMI chambered 1/8.

I would prefer to stick with H4350 as I have over 10 lbs of it on hand and it's also my go to for several other calibers. However I do have some H4381 available as well.

I hunt elk most often but occasionally mule deer and antelope. Though I usually will swap to my 6.5 barrel for antelope. I like to say my max range is about 500-600 yards, but this is entirely conditions dependent. I've passed on much closer shots and could be tempted by longer if conditions and animal behavior is ideal.

I'm open to anything really. I'd love to hear your experiences, and if anyone has a similar rifle what your load data is.

Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out which projectile I'll use in my 7 SAUM, but having good results so far with the following:

-145 Hammer HHT (H4350)
- 160 Accubond (RL23)
- 175 Berger Elite Hunter (H4831sc)

I have some 145 gr LRX loaded up and ready to test as well. All below are 4 shot groups, 100 yards. White squares are 1".

IMG_5002.jpeg
IMG_5035.jpeg
IMG_5006.jpeg

Well I just went to buy more bullets for the season and discovered that Badlands Precision was no longer in business. Their owner passed away which is really sad.

I really fell in love with their 150gr bulldozer II's in my 7 SAUM. Just this week I did a little load development and got them to 2995 FPS under 58.0 gr of H4350 in a SAAMI chamber out of a 22" barrel comfortably. I had been shooting them at 56.5 and 2906 FPS previously.
They are supposed to re-open soon.

1722827126547.png

I have a 280ai which I think is similar to the saum that I run either the 162 eldx or the 140 absolute hammer. Either I would be comfortable with elk to 700 with the right conditions. Last season the hammer took two cows and was impressive both drt. i run it at 3200fps with h4350. The high speed makes up for some of the bc until you get over 500 or so. My son hit his high at 150yds and I was expecting to lose most of the front of the back strap, when we were done we lost very little to bloodshot. Two other cows where taken with a 7prc and the 175eldx also both drt at about 150yds. The eldx penetrated well but definately had more bloodshot meat. Both did their job well but in different ways. If you go cup and core (eldx, berger, etc) I wouldn't go below the 160 grain range for the higher sectional density and keep them below 3050ish so they don't over expand at close range.

That's an old post. George the owner passed away soon afterwards. Shirley stated the buisness is shutdown perminatently.

Check the Badlands bullet thread last few pages where it's listed.
I am fully aware of his passing. I do not know if it is an old post because someone else posted it, but I can't remember which thread it is now. The only one I know that says Shirley could not sustain it was on my thread that @Bghunter338 posted - https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/badlands-precision-llc-rip-george.363685/

ADDED: Found it, https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/badlands-and-their-web-store-is-ready-to-open.362810/

Last edited:
for those non-listed hunting bullets i'd go 183smk since others use smk's for hunting

OR

more designed for hunting and range not being that far most any in the 160-168 class as bc doesn't matter when you hit the target.

Of all the options I've tried in my 7 saum, the McGuire Ballistics 143 gr Copper Rose SF has been my favorite. 3100 fps in a 22" barrel with either H4350 or H4831sc with superb accuracy and temp stability.