7 PRC SAAMI approved

Are you necking straight down from the 300PRC to 7mm or changing the shoulder/neck as well?
I'm pretty sure he's not using a 300 PRC case. He's got to be using a much bigger case necked down to 7mm to get those velocities. I think that's why he said the 7-300PRC doesn't interest him. But I'd like to know what that 7 LRH is based off of with those numbers!!

if i recall an
I'm pretty sure he's not using a 300 PRC case. He's got to be using a much bigger case necked down to 7mm to get those velocities. I think that's why he said the 7-300PRC doesn't interest him. But I'd like to know what that 7 LRH is based off of with those numbers!!
if i recall an earlier post of @Swamplord his case is a modified 338 norma magnum - pretty awesome stuff he has made over the years if you ask me!

Correct, parent case is the 338 Norma Mag (developed prior to 300 NM brass being on the market) was using Norma 338 NM & 423 Dakota brass before Peterson & Lapua started making 338 NM, can use 300 NM but necks are shorter after fireforming pulls material down and fills case out ... (due to the top of case body slimmer on the 300 NM than 338 NM)
by using 338 NM with the wider case dims at top of body and then the larger case mouth squirts material out somewhat when necking down... for a longer neck in 7mm, by the time case is fireformed it ends up right a min trim length 2.490" (haven't needed to trim in 2x fired cases yet as length hasn't changed & most likely will never need to

Then I had RCC make me a batch of 7mm LRH brass .... it comes perfect, ready to load n shoot, 7mm LRH reamers available to the public from PT&G and JGS and brass directly from RCC...
guys who are doing the various 7mm-300 Norma Mag Improved cartridges, can use RCC 7mm LRH brass , run it through the FL sizing die and be ready to load, pretty certain my neck/shoulder junction height is taller with wider top of body than most of them, unless of course by now there might be a more pimped out 7-300 NM, in that case you'd run a 30 cal expander through the neck and size down the neck length a bit at a time and check in rifle until bolt closes with just a bit of resistance and fireform with 15 gr of Blue Dot (or 12 gr Green Dot , Power Pistol) & cream of wheat or Malt O Meal on top & 1/4" of case mouth capped with parafin candle wax or compressed TP, or just load bullet and fire with any midrange published 28 Nosler load data, also same process in fireforming from 338 & 300 NM cases

I know some guys will bring up barrel life of 800-1000 shots ... but it's a dedicated moose hunting rig and boy o boy that's a lot of dead moose like this big bull that got LRH "cold bored" with a 195 Berger bullet (center in pic)

I'm not saying the 7-300 PRC is not going to be a great hunting cartridge in it's own right and I fully agree it has a spot between the 7mm Rem Mag and 28 Nosler even though the 7mm STW & 7mm-300 WBY have been doing same for eons now, the more new cartridges that are presented to the masses tend to draw in more new shooters, new gun buyers stimulated by the shiny new things AND that is an awesome thing for hunting & sport shooting , we can't expect the younger crowd to be awed by things of the past anymore, a lot of us were schooled by the gunwriters from post WW2 40's thru the 80's but the new gens are getting schooled by youtube vids and social media with a entirely new twist on "cool" gun stuff ....

I'm just surprised at the seasoned shooters gettin all kool-aided up on this new whiz bang cartridge ... I suppose I'm just power mad and seek max potential, the 7-300 PRC isn't it ......

sorry for the derail,, carry on

8DC434B6-58FD-4A3A-AB69-CC8AAAE1B3B6.jpeg

2378FF22-3793-47DD-80C2-80229162E75C.jpeg
D772CE6E-36E0-4333-A80E-2E06FBA2A16F.jpeg

4BE7A503-0F92-48B4-8431-DDEC884C02B2.jpeg

Correct, parent case is the 338 Norma Mag (developed prior to 300 NM brass being on the market) was using Norma 338 NM & 423 Dakota brass before Peterson & Lapua started making 338 NM, can use 300 NM but necks are shorter after fireforming pulls material down and fills case out ... (due to the top of case body slimmer on the 300 NM than 338 NM)
by using 338 NM with the wider case dims at top of body and then the larger case mouth squirts material out somewhat when necking down... for a longer neck in 7mm, by the time case is fireformed it ends up right a min trim length 2.490" (haven't needed to trim in 2x fired cases yet as length hasn't changed & most likely will never need to

Then I had RCC make me a batch of 7mm LRH brass .... it comes perfect, ready to load n shoot, 7mm LRH reamers available to the public from PT&G and JGS and brass directly from RCC...
guys who are doing the various 7mm-300 Norma Mag Improved cartridges, can use RCC 7mm LRH brass , run it through the FL sizing die and be ready to load, pretty certain my neck/shoulder junction height is taller with wider top of body than most of them, unless of course by now there might be a more pimped out 7-300 NM, in that case you'd run a 30 cal expander through the neck and size down the neck length a bit at a time and check in rifle until bolt closes with just a bit of resistance and fireform with 15 gr of Blue Dot (or 12 gr Green Dot , Power Pistol) & cream of wheat or Malt O Meal on top & 1/4" of case mouth capped with parafin candle wax or compressed TP, or just load bullet and fire with any midrange published 28 Nosler load data, also same process in fireforming from 338 & 300 NM cases

I know some guys will bring up barrel life of 800-1000 shots ... but it's a dedicated moose hunting rig and boy o boy that's a lot of dead moose like this big bull that got LRH "cold bored" with a 195 Berger bullet (center in pic)

I'm not saying the 7-300 PRC is not going to be a great hunting cartridge in it's own right and I fully agree it has a spot between the 7mm Rem Mag and 28 Nosler even though the 7mm STW & 7mm-300 WBY have been doing same for eons now, the more new cartridges that are presented to the masses tend to draw in more new shooters, new gun buyers stimulated by the shiny new things AND that is an awesome thing for hunting & sport shooting , we can't expect the younger crowd to be awed by things of the past anymore, a lot of us were schooled by the gunwriters from post WW2 40's thru the 80's but the new gens are getting schooled by youtube vids and social media with a entirely new twist on "cool" gun stuff ....

I'm just surprised at the seasoned shooters gettin all kool-aided up on this new whiz bang cartridge ... I suppose I'm just power mad and seek max potential, the 7-300 PRC isn't it ......

....View attachment 343476
View attachment 343477View attachment 343478
View attachment 343479
B2A682D4-1A32-4649-B56C-850186CE29F4.jpeg

Thi

....View attachment 343476
View attachment 343477View attachment 343478
View attachment 343479
This is awesome! Thank you for the detailed info! I'm drooling at the capabilities of that cartridge 😍😍.

Well it wouldn't be a good choice for a high volume shooter but as a hunting round there's nothing on the continent that you couldn't handle with it.

Last edited:
Searching around I see threads on a few sites going back to Sept 2020 positing the 7PRC may be coming to market. I even find a few saying SAAMI has approved it.

However I keep checking over at the SAAMI website and so far they aren't listing it.

Is there a source from either Hornady or Maybe Ruger putting this out?

Here I was half expecting Swampy to introduce his 7mm-50BMG & only due to the lack of 7mm-Howizer Primers. Swampy is always bringing extra nads to the table. Yes a quick search turns up the 7PRC will be the LRM in Hornady dimensions.

Here I was half expecting Swampy to introduce his 7mm-50BMG & only due to the lack of 7mm-Howizer Primers. Swampy is always bringing extra nads to the table. Yes a quick search turns up the 7PRC will be the LRM in Hornady dimensions.
I'm not finding any SAAMI spec's for the 7PRC at all. Where did you find this?

Man I sure hope it's off the fl 300 PRC case, I'm buying H stock if it is
I realize they built the 6.5 PRC to spec to get under 3,100fps for competition reasons but that's not a consideration here so I'm really hoping it's just a straight necked down version of the 300PRC.

If it is, then it'll really make my next 6.5 project a breeze since i'll just be able to neck down the 7PRC or if I'm having a hard time finding it do a two step neck down from the 300.

Searching around I see threads on a few sites going back to Sept 2020 positing the 7PRC may be coming to market. I even find a few saying SAAMI has approved it.

However I keep checking over at the SAAMI website and so far they aren't listing it.

Is there a source from either Hornady or Maybe Ruger putting this out?
nope. its all rumor.