6 Creedmoor for Desert Bighorn

Outfitters don't typically seem to be up to speed on terminal ballistics and why. That said, the outfitter I used for dall/griz had no concerns with me bringing a 6.5. Overkill compared to the sharp sticks he kills both with. If I had to pack today to go back I'd be bringing my 6 creed.
Seems they all use LARGE calibers for backup.
Assuming the shooter can do a good job with one, why wouldn't he use one too?

S Nahanni

I'll see what they recommend, but when speaking with them, they mentioned majority of shots are 300 yards and in. Often much closer. I wouldn't feel undergunned at those distances at all with a 6 Creed.
Your going on a helicopter hunt
They drop you off on one side of a ridge, you hike over and shoot em
So you could brings a 15 lb bench gun if you wanted
Use whatever you think is best. I'd add a caribou if you can. Those tags are harder and harder to get.

Outfitters don't typically seem to be up to speed on terminal ballistics and why. That said, the outfitter I used for dall/griz had no concerns with me bringing a 6.5. Overkill compared to the sharp sticks he kills both with. If I had to pack today to go back I'd be bringing my 6 creed.
I killed a grizzly with a 6.5x284. Did it after my sheep hunt. Only took 7 bullets for it to stop moving but it died.
Without a doubt a 6 creed and eldx's would take less. 2x the hornady power

Outfitters are usually more up to speed that most. They see first hand, all of the hunters that just search forums before their hunts. Who get piles of info from people who have never done something. Then they bring up the newest and greatest things bullets rifles and cartridges. Only to see them fail at the worst possible time.

Outfitters are usually more up to speed that most. They see first hand, all of the hunters that just search forums before their hunts. Who get piles of info from people who have never done something. Then they bring up the newest and greatest things bullets rifles and cartridges. Only to see them fail at the worst possible time.
Some are for sure. My outfitter buddy is a long range shooter and we deal with clients every year who have no clue what they are doing. We do our best to help.

Killed my 7x7 Bull in 5BS on an Archery rut tag. 5B has become the #1 trophy unit for Speed Goats IMO. I've seen some hammers up there. I killed my Bull in 2008 which was the same year they worked on reclamation in the unit for the antelope. They had took Bull dozers in there with massive brush hogs to get rid of the invasive Junipers that took over a huge portion of the Antelope country. It was something to see, all the work they had done was impressive considering the scale of it.
Awesome bull. They chained some of that area many years ago I could see. Not too long ago they were going to make it a walk in area but I guess changed their mind. I hunted near Fisher and Fry Lake.
I've hunted 5BS few times before getting stuck on 5BN.
Got a turkey in 5BS years ago.
I was in 5BN Sept. 2009 visiting buddies on way back from a Ut. elk Hunt. I don't recall seeing any bulldozer work but I don't know where it was. Last time elk hunted there was 2007. Shot a nice bull here in 2008 .
Sorry for being off topic 🙄

@Marky_mark
So you've hunted with them, huh? At least half of the outfitters in the NWT use helicopter for better access to their concessions. Way more flexibility than super cubs that's for sure, but I'm not being dropped right on top of sheep then shooting.

I spoke with several references and that wasn't their experience in the slightest. Some didn't kill their ram until the 6th or 7th day of the hunt.

You did bring up a good point about caribou though - I'm heading in August so it's an option to add on. They also have a Mt Goat add on, but I'd rather have a chance at a billy with long fur instead of it's summer coat.

@Marky_mark
So you've hunted with them, huh? At least half of the outfitters in the NWT use helicopter for better access to their concessions. Way more flexibility than super cubs that's for sure, but I'm not being dropped right on top of sheep then shooting.

I spoke with several references and that wasn't their experience in the slightest. Some didn't kill their ram until the 6th or 7th day of the hunt.

You did bring up a good point about caribou though - I'm heading in August so it's an option to add on. They also have a Mt Goat add on, but I'd rather have a chance at a billy with long fur instead of it's summer coat.
A vast majority of the hunts in the nwt are helicopter. I think only 2-3 don't use them. That's one of the main reasons why guys book the nwt. Another reason is the way Success rates are very high in the mackenzies. Lots of sheep and they are all accessible. The mountains aren't crazy steepAlmost all of the outfitters now are excellent. You'll have a good time. I would add on everything that you can and have every tag in your pocket.

A vast majority of the hunts in the nwt are helicopter. I think only 2-3 don't use them. That's one of the main reasons why guys book the nwt. Another reason is the way Success rates are very high in the mackenzies. Lots of sheep and they are all accessible. The mountains aren't crazy steepAlmost all of the outfitters now are excellent. You'll have a good time. I would add on everything that you can and have every tag in your pocket.
This is sound advice. Your there, hunt all you can, for tomorrow, access, rules, opportunities, health, and wealth can change. And you have already carved out the time and money to get there/half the battle.