6 Creedmoor for Desert Bighorn

Yes I understand you have experience hunting sheep. But they are just an animal. Smaller than an elk, and maybe barely bigger than a mature mule deer, and not even that big in some cases. The only difference is literally the price tag. I've killed 40 elk and mule deer. And the sheep isn't anything super special in structure. Not bigger than some the bucks I've killed, body wise.

Discounting how expensive they are to hunt, they are just a moderate sized animal, and will die the same as any other moderate sized animal.
View attachment 592367
View attachment 592368
I remember when I had my first beer….
Really, if that's all you've done, then there's no point even having this conversation.
One day if your ever lucky enough to get a once in a life tag. Realize that it is different. There are no, I'll just come back next year, or I'll just go try somewhere else. You only get one chance.

Really, if that's all you've done, then there's no point even having this conversation.
One day if your ever lucky enough to get a once in a life tag. Realize that it is different. There are no, I'll just come back next year, or I'll just go try somewhere else. You only get one chance.
That's a pretty arrogant statement for sure. I've had a once in a lifetime tag and killed the animal with a bow….

I also shoot a cartridge and bullet bigger and faster than the one you took sheep hunting.

Doesn't mean I can't have a versed perspective on how animals die and what it takes to kill them 👍🏼.

Last edited:
I will give you a call when I draw my sheep tag and make sure my choice of equipment is up to your standards of approval🤔and maybe not! oh yeah I have 35 points here in az. getting closer every year

I will give you a call when I draw my sheep tag and make sure my choice of equipment is up to your standards of approval🤔and maybe not! oh yeah I have 35 points here in az. getting closer every year
It's no skin off my back
Do whatever you want
My advice is for people that actually want to listen.
Take it or leave it

That's a pretty arrogant statement for sure. I've had a once in a lifetime tag and killed the animal with a bow….

I also shoot a cartridge and bullet bigger and faster than the one you took sheep hunting.

Doesn't mean I can't have a versed perspective on how animals die and what it takes to kill them 👍🏼.
Your not the only person that has a 300 Norma and shoots 245's

If you scrolled a page or two down in the sheep hunting section
You'll probably find it on here

I have no desire to get into a dick measuring contest…. But just know, that I wouldn't lose

Is a 6mm CM enough for sheep? Sure! Would I take one on a once in a lifetime hunt (Utah) or trip to Alaska or the like? No Way!

A buddy of mine has been paying on a sheep hunt to Alaska for a few years. The guide advised to bring enough rifle to anchor the sheep to prevent a fall off a cliff damaging a trophy or the like. I think that is good advice. Of my rifles I might consider the little 6.5 CM Kimber 84M with 140 ELD-M or 143 ELD-X but more likely the 7mm PRC with 175 ELD-X or 160 CX or something similar.

Is a 6mm CM enough for sheep? Sure! Would I take one on a once in a lifetime hunt (Utah) or trip to Alaska or the like? No Way!

A buddy of mine has been paying on a sheep hunt to Alaska for a few years. The guide advised to bring enough rifle to anchor the sheep to prevent a fall off a cliff damaging a trophy or the like. I think that is good advice. Of my rifles I might consider the little 6.5 CM Kimber 84M with 140 ELD-M or 143 ELD-X but more likely the 7mm PRC with 175 ELD-X or 160 CX or something similar.
Bullets matter more than the case capacity. Recoil and everything else aside, I'd much rather put an ELDX from a 6.5cm into an animal than a CX from anything.

Clearly it's your way or the highway- there's no conversation at all. Your mind is made up on what everyone else should do and everyone is wrong if they question it or have a differing opinion.

This turned in to one of the many small cartridge vs large cartridge threads that just go on and on in circles. I have a Dall hunt coming up in 2 years - do I need to bring my 338 RUM in case I make a poor shot since thousands of dollars are on the line?

Clearly it's your way or the highway- there's no conversation at all. Your mind is made up on what everyone else should do and everyone is wrong if they question it or have a differing opinion.

This turned in to one of the many small cartridge vs large cartridge threads that just go on and on in circles. I have a Dall hunt coming up in 2 years - do I need to bring my 338 RUM in case I make a poor shot since thousands of dollars are on the line?
If you've only killed 40 animals, the same size or bigger than a sheep, but did it all on your own and didn't pay $50k to some outfitter to walk you to kill one, you just couldn't possibly fathom what it takes and how serious this endeavor could be. You must concede all rational thinking or perspective thoughts in general to the absolute king of killing sub 300lb animals 🙄🙄.

I probably put more effort into a single deer hunt than this guy flying all over, getting guided on sheep and putting himself on a pedestal lol.

My last deer was three 28 hour round trips to the state for scouting, 11 days of hunting, over 60 boots miles and 20,000' of elevation gain during that time. But since I didn't write a fat check, I just can't understand how serious a sheep hunt is. Give me a freaking break lol.

Last edited:
If you've only killed 40 animals, the same size or bigger than a sheep, but did it all on your own and didn't pay $50k to some outfitter to walk you to kill one, you just couldn't possibly fathom what it takes and how serious this endeavor could be. You must subside all rational thinking or perspective thoughts in general to the absolute king of killing sub 300lb animals 🙄🙄.

I probably put more effort into a single deer hunt than this guy flying all over, getting guided on sheep and putting himself on a pedestal lol.

My last deer was three 28 hour round trips to the state for scouting, 11 days of hunting, over 60 boots miles and 20,000' of elevation gain during that time. But since I didn't write a fat check, I just can't understand how serious a sheep hunt is. Give me a freaking break lol.

But you haven't killed any sheep so none of your experience is valid. 😂

Also - apparently your manhood is small 😂

Huntnful--maybe I took it wrong, but you seem awfully young (not a jab here, just an observation) to of taken 40 head of elk. Or did I take what you wrote wrong?
Elk and mule deer. This was the reference
IMG_5486.jpeg

Only 10 elk I believe. 3 with a bow and the rest with a rifle. Couple of Aoudad thrown in there also. So technically I AM a sheep hunter also 🤣. Killed a big caribou and a couple of bears too.