6 Creedmoor for Desert Bighorn

Toad. Looks like a tank!
Nice job.
Thank you. He was a good representative. I missed Ca. book by 5 inches. We were guessing bases at least 15 in. . Figured 170-172 in. When we saw him a month before scouting. He had 14 in. Bases. Scored 163 in.. I didn't care. His horn plug was #57. Year I was born 😉

Last edited:
A 115 Berger elite is carrying 1500 lbs of energy at 400 and still moving at 2437 FPS assuming a MV of 3045 FPS and 2500 ft elevation.

A 7mm 162 ELDX is carrying 2310 lbs of energy at 400 and still moving at 2535 FPS assuming a MV of 3025 FPS and 2500 ft elevation.

A 30 178 ELDX is carrying 2345 Lbs of energy and still moving at 2445 FPS at 400 assuming a MV of 3040 FPS and 2500 ft elevation.

Those are very significant differences. I know what my 1, 2 and 3 would be! These are all loads I shoot. I've never hunted sheep but I'd feel confident for sure in my choice.

Last edited:
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULD GO ON A HUNT OF A LIFETIME WITH ONE OF THE SMALLEST BULLETS YOU CAN FIND. I CAN KILL A BLACK BEAR WITH A 22LR BUT IF I GO ON A BLACK BEAR
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULD GO ON A HUNT OF A LIFETIME WITH ONE OF THE SMALLEST BULLETS YOU CAN FIND. I CAN KILL A BLACK BEAR WITH A 22LR BUT IF I GO ON A BLACK BEAR HUNT I PLAN TO TAKE MY 338.

HUNT I PLAN TO TAKE MY 338
Stop yelling, we're all friends here!😆

This is the difference between preparing for the best case scenario, or the worst case scenario
But what do I know
I've only shot 4 deserts, number 5 coming up this winter
Yes I understand you have experience hunting sheep. But they are just an animal. Smaller than an elk, and maybe barely bigger than a mature mule deer, and not even that big in some cases. The only difference is literally the price tag. I've killed 40 elk and mule deer. And the sheep isn't anything super special in structure. Not bigger than some the bucks I've killed, body wise.

Discounting how expensive they are to hunt, they are just a moderate sized animal, and will die the same as any other moderate sized animal.
IMG_5476.png

IMG_5477.png

Last edited:
So does Az!
I knew that. 😉 I've hunted Az. since 1987. My 2nd favorite state to hunt. Hunted a lot more when I lived next door. 😁 my favorite hunt was 5BN archery elk. Killed 5 cow and one bull there. Have seen some big lope bucks up there on Anderson Mesa at 7500 ft. 😳 takes min. 13 pts to draw as of 2022. Unless your lucky.

Yes I understand you have experience hunting sheep. But they are just an animal. Smaller than an elk, and maybe barely bigger than a mature mule deer, and not even that big in some cases. The only difference is literally the price tag. I've killed 40 elk and mule deer. And the sheep isn't anything super special in structure. Not bigger than some the bucks I've killed, body wise.

Discounting how expensive they are to hunt, they are just a moderate sized animal, and will die the same as any other moderate sized animal.
View attachment 592367
View attachment 592368
I stopped counting buck deer years ago at 55. I'd say at least 70. Thats in 6 states though. Lope bucks 14. Doe deer and lope no clue. Elk I can remember 5 bull's and 7 cow. Only one bighorn and I can say they may be stockier but don't think they would weigh more than a big mature buck. The buck I shot here last year was a Toad. I know it weighed more than my bighorn.

Last edited:
I knew that. 😉 I've hunted Az. since 1987. My 2nd favorite state to hunt. Hunted a lot more when I lived next door. 😁 my favorite hunt was 5BN archery elk. Killed 5 cow and one bull there. Have seen some big lope bucks up there on Anderson Mesa at 7500 ft. 😳 takes min. 13 pts to draw as of 2022. Unless you're lucky.
Killed my 7x7 Bull in 5BS on an Archery rut tag. 5B has become the #1 trophy unit for Speed Goats IMO. I've seen some hammers up there. I killed my Bull in 2008 which was the same year they worked on reclamation in the unit for the antelope. They had took Bull dozers in there with massive brush hogs to get rid of the invasive Junipers that took over a huge portion of the Antelope country. It was something to see, all the work they had done was impressive considering the scale of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2479.jpeg
    IMG_2479.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Killed my 7x7 Bull in 5BS. 5B has become the #1 trophy unit for Speed Goats IMO. I've seen some hammers up there. I killed my Bull in 2008 which was the same year they worked on reclamation in the unit for the antelope. They had took Bull dozers in there with massive brush hogs to get rid of the invasive Junipers that took over a huge portion of the Antelope country. It was something to see, all the work they had done was impressive considering the scale of it.
I killed a 6x6 bull (small one) in 5BS 4 years ago. Very cool and diverse country!!