6/6.5-06 Varmint

Greywolf18

Does anyone use a 6-06 or a 6.5-06 for varminting? Which one would be better for long range p-dog hunting? I was thinking of using the 87gr v-max (6mm) and the 95gr v-max (6.5mm). Just trying to think which one would be better. I was thinking the 6mm would be faster/flatter, but eat the barrel in under 1k rounds. Soooo, then the 6.5 came up and pushing the lil pill would not be quit as fast, but be better on the barrel. Just when I have made up my mind on what I want to do with a donor action, another idea pops into my head! lol :D

Think what you are wanting to do has been done and pretty well documented with maybe a better twist to get the performance and barrel life.

Go to Richard Franklins site and look at at his 6mm improved. 87 gr at the high 3500-3600 fps plus. Here is an article on it. http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek042.html

Go to www.6mmbr.com daily bulletin and right now they are showing a 6-6.5x47 varminter. that is set up to shoot the 87 and 95s at better MV than the 06 and 6mm Rem improved. http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek093.html

I would look at the 6mm with the 87 gr Vmax as the ideal for what you want. The 6.5x47 brass is super quality and would be my first choice no matter whether the 6 or 6.5.

Plus you will find that the 6-6.5x47 already has factory dies. Redding using Pacific Tool and Guage (PTG) reamers for the 6-6.5x47 so you can get a chamber reamer from Dave Kiff at PTG to match the existing dies.

BH

Last edited:
BH-

The reason I was looking into the 6/6.5-06 was because I have an old 30-06 that I'm going to use as the donor action for the build. I have seen the lapua cartridge and it really does look good, but it is a short action so I can't use it. Whenever my 308 barrel burns out, which won't be for awhile, I was thinking of doing the lapua or a 260.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.