6.5 prc vs 264 wm

Most your questions have been answered, I'll just throw in my experience with a .264 wm.

Using Retumbo, Federal 7mm rem mag brass, and CCI large rifle mag primers, it is sending 147 eld-m's at 3240 fps into tiny groups and low s.d.'s. It has a 26" 7.5 twist barrel. I have no experience with t 6.5 prc. I see it as a good option if you do not reload and want a 6.5 that performs better than a 6.5 creed. The factory ammo for it is cheaper than other comparable cartridges, such as a 6.5x284.

I have a 264wm and with 64.5 of retumbo and a 27" barrel my 147s are only running 2990. That 3240 is cruzin'!!!

I have a 264wm and with 64.5 of retumbo and a 27" barrel my 147s are only running 2990. That 3240 is cruzin'!!!

You maybe able to add a bit of powder to that load safely. Do a little scouting around on the web for yourself and work up slowly. Published data for the 264 win is pretty conservative.
You should see what you are looking for right around 68.0g of Retumbo. I've played with Retumbo in several of my 264 win rifles over the years. I would expect it to be able to get to 3,150fps with a good margin of safety. Work up with a chronograph 0.2g at a time and stop at the first sign of pressure. Back off 0.5g and you should be close to there.

Last edited:
I am using HBN coated bullets, so don't try this charge, but i'm using 69.5 grains of Retumbo. Most people with naked bullets end up around 68ish grains as stated getting in the mid 3100's

Yeah Finding load data on the 264 is a little tough to find at times. I will have to try and work up slow and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the replies fellas!!

Here is a pic of my work up/barrel break in, these were actually the first rounds fired through the barrel, and is has since gained a little speed. I used a magneto speed to chrono. I started getting pressure signs at 71 grains, when I did further load work up I started seeing first signs of pressure at 70.5, and 71 was easily noticeable, but still no heavy bolt lift. 69.5 is where it shot really well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190116-205430.png
    Screenshot_20190116-205430.png
    740.9 KB · Views: 179
264 Win mag great choice. Just get at least a 26" barrel longer is better. I have a 27 3/4" which is all the smith could get out of a 28" blank. I got the rifle in a trade from my buddy that had it built so I had no input as to barrel. He used a Shilen #4 Chrome Molly with a 9 twist.
Because of not wanting to take half of the barrel life off by trying a bunch of different loads and bullets I made the decision after much research to go with Retumbo powder and 130 Gr Nosler Accubond because this rifle would be used as a long range over bean fields deer rifle. I discovered this rifle has a tight chamber so I ran into pressure well before most load data said was a max load but I was still getting better velocity than they did with 26" barrels with their max loads. Found a load quickly that was 1/2 MOA accurate and averaged 3350 fps. Really shoots flat and the Accubond is a wonderful bullet for these high speeds. It reacts about the same on impact at 25 yards as it does a touch over 500 yards on a deer. Bullet starts to open up like a ballistic tip but holds together like a partition and keeps on trucking and deer are DRT. One other person mentioned availability of the periptery brass for some of the others. I use 7mm Rem mag cases to make my 264 Win mag. Just run them into a FL size die and you have a 264 win mag case.

I'm pretty biased on this one. I've had at least one 264win in my safe since 1995. It was (and still is) 6.5 cool before 6.5 was cool. It will do everything you are hoping to do. If you go with either 264win or 6.5PRC, or any other 6.5 make sure you run at least an 8 twist a 7 twist is ideal for long range hunting and shooting. A lot of the factory 264win stuff is built with a 9 twist, which is marginal with 140g class bullets and a total no with any of the heavier stuff.
I'm 99% done with my latest 264win with a 32" bartlien 8" - 7" transition twist. I used a custom 264 win reamer to be able to seat the 155-160g bullets properly. I'm hoping to see 3,125 - 3,150 with the 160g Matrix.
I haven't had a chance to see a 6.5PRC in person yet. I can't speak to (or against) the quality of the Hornady PRC factory brass. All I will say is there are several choices of 7mm magnum brass that necks easily 264win and even good factory headstamped 264win brass.
There really isn't much difference in performance. As stated above, if you want easy factory ammo get a 6.5PRC if you load a 264win is a good choice. Lastly, there are other choices you should also take the time to investigate a 6.5 Sherman based on an improved 280 Ackley or a 6.5SS, I'm
Not sure if the parent case for that one. Just message Elkaholic. The performance is on par with the 264win. I will be building a 6.5Sherman for my wife soon.

I was reading several of the post about the 6.5's. What is the best free bore or throat length to run the heavies or is there a good mid point where the 140 to 160 grains will run. Personally I have never run anything under 140. I burned out my 6.5X284 Norma (4700+ rounds). I like the ideal of the 160 bullets you mentioned in the magnum. I haven't reviewed the 26 Nos but is it a higher speed round then the 264 win mag. Do they hold the same powder charge or is it a little more? Its easier to be at the bottom end of a case capacity charge with a stable load then to be pushing it really hard to get the next stable node.

I was reading several of the post about the 6.5's. What is the best free bore or throat length to run the heavies or is there a good mid point where the 140 to 160 grains will run. Personally I have never run anything under 140. I burned out my 6.5X284 Norma (4700+ rounds). I like the ideal of the 160 bullets you mentioned in the magnum. I haven't reviewed the 26 Nos but is it a higher speed round then the 264 win mag. Do they hold the same powder charge or is it a little more? Its easier to be at the bottom end of a case capacity charge with a stable load then to be pushing it really hard to get the next stable node.

26Nos is a good step up from a SAAMI spec 264win. The 264win that I just had built has a bit more freebore that a standard SAAMI spec 264 win chamber and a 31" barrel. It lwill likely top out safely at 3,175-3,200 with the Matrix 160. It's a long story, my reamer is a spec built and was cut based on the 155g Berger that never made it to production. It was cut so the bullets boat tail was 0.005" inside of the neck to shoulder junction of the brass with 0.010" jump to the rifling. That bullet never made it past beta testing. I ended up settling on running the 160g Matrix and bought enough to wear this barrel out. If those won't shoot I'll likely get a thousand of the 150g SMK.
I don't have my loading book in front of me right now to be able to tell you exactly where the bullet is in relation to the case and CBTO. I loaded five each at 0.010" to 0.030" off the rifle to test. Weather has been crap here and I haven't had that rifle to the range yet to test. PM me if you need more detail, I don't want some guy trying a load in their SAAMI rifle that's intended for mine.

So what kind of speeds can be expected out of the 124 Hammers in both the 6.5 PRC and the .264 WM. Trying to look around for cartridges for a future hunting rifle build and these are two of the cartridges I'm looking at.

So what kind of speeds can be expected out of the 124 Hammers in both the 6.5 PRC and the .264 WM. Trying to look around for cartridges for a future hunting rifle build and these are two of the cartridges I'm looking at.
I would say pretty dang fast out of the .264. I shoot 147's at 3240, and hear of most people that load them up to their full potential sending the 140 class around 3200. A 124 hammer (just a total guess) would probably be capable of reaching 3350 or so with the right powder. I don't thing 100-150 fps is too much to expect from dropping 17 grains in bullet weight......

update: received McMillan game warden stock! ordered 12-23-18. 3 months, they told me 6 mths. got everything in. will keep posting on the progress

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.