6.5 haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine too! I get consistent hits at 8,000 miles!
You forgot to ad that you only take head shots!

I asked the question "what makes the CM more inherently accurate than other similar cartridges?" a few years ago. Pretty much crickets until one gentleman replied about shoulder and case angles and some other stuff I don't recall. I also asked about building a 260 and a CM, all the best components, same twist barrels and bullet weights, the only difference being the cartridge. Using a top tier shooter and after working up loads for both rifles, "can the shooter shoot the difference?". Crickets.

I then asked if the case had so much more accuracy potential than the 308 case family, "why not build a 30CM?". Mostly crickets and some replies about better bullet choices in .264". But if the case is so much better than the 308 shouldn't a 30CM be an improvement?

Again, I'm not a CM hater, but all the hype and BS got old in a hurry. And yes, I like to poke fun at the CM, but it's just that, FUN. If it makes you hurt between the legs, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
The creedmoor cultist or hype bro is a straw man created by insecure shooters that have an emotional attachment to other chamberings and are looking for an excuse to desperately undercut creedmoor because it's infringing upon their space and displacing their Precious.
I only learned this because I searched long and hard for this guy so that I could indulge in making fun of him and then learned that he's an invisible punching bag created by guys that are upset that they WAY over-invested in custom rifles to mask shortcoming of an antique chambering to make it shoot well and are upset that a noob with a box store gun that has a purpose built chambering now has access to similar levels of accuracy and distance without the investment or effort.

Again, I'm not a CM hater, but all the hype and BS got old in a hurry. And yes, I like to poke fun at the CM, but it's just that, FUN. If it makes you hurt between the legs, I'm sorry.
This!☝️

Last edited:
You forgot to ad that you only take head shots!

I asked the question "what makes the CM more inherently accurate than other similar cartridges?" a few years ago. Pretty much crickets until one gentleman replied about shoulder and case angles and some other stuff I don't recall. I also asked about building a 260 and a CM, all the best components, same twist barrels and bullet weights, the only difference being the cartridge. Using a top tier shooter and after working up loads for both rifles, "can the shooter shoot the difference?". Crickets.

I then asked if the case had so much more accuracy potential than the 308 case family, "why not build a 30CM?". Mostly crickets and some replies about better bullet choices in .264". But if the case is so much better than the 308 shouldn't a 30CM be an improvement?

SAAMI is one obvious answer.
You can manufacture an antique chambering without the same tolerances. You can't get away with that with a modern chambering. Manufacturers are accountable for producing a rifle that meets more exacting (tighter) standards in chamber dimensions. For example: consider the SAAMI spec of throat diameter on 6.5 Swede (.0053) vs that of CM (.0005). Now could you spend thousands of dollars to have a gunsmith modify a rifle to mask those issues by reaming and installing a new barrel? Of course you could- we've been doing that for decades.
I view it kind of like: my dad's 1977 corvette could be a ten second car… if I dump enough money into making it that fast. Or I can order a C8 for $70k.

Another consideration: we know "inherent accuracy" among cartridges is a real thing, even among hand loaders and custom rifles. You think 6GT, 6PPC, .284 Shehane, etc are/were so widely used in their respective competition leagues if a .243 or a 7Mag were just as accurate and didn't require all the extra work and expense?

The irony of the anti-creedmoor crowd is that they're the real hipsters. Creedmoor is too common and popular and they don't want to be associated with any of those aspects- they'd rather drop thousands to custom build a 6.5x58 and make it get to 3/4MOA so they can turn up their nose at those unrefined losers at the range with their $1,200 Ruger Precision they got from academy, even though it shots a 1/2MOA with shelf ammo.

👆 This.
I don't understand why the 6.5 CM is even a discussion anymore. No, it doesn't do anything a custom .260 Rem can't do but manufacturers can't hotrod a factory 260 rifle or factory 260 ammunition for liability reasons. The 6.5 CM does it right out of the gate.

The 6.5cm similar to the 308, it is a good hunting round out to 4-500 yards. After that it's only good for paper. However, if you want a long range hunting round look at the 6.5 peck or 6.5 Saum, the ballistics out perform the 300 win mag - which imho is one of the most outstanding hunting calibers ever developed.

I held off on the 6.5 CM for a long time. I have a 260,, 270,,280,,308,,30-06, 7mag, 300 mag. I figured why View attachment 470358do need a 6.5 CM??? I needed it because there is still room in the gun safe.. lol. I broke down and purchased a Bergara 6.5 about 8 months ago. No doubt, it's an awesome shooter. 1/4 " moa at 100 yards. I was impressed. But when it comes right down to it. It's no better than any other gun in my safe. Lol. ( it's just another gun )!
Nice shooting Mink. If you don't know that was all the gun, then obviously you need another glass of Koolaid brother! 🤣

You can manufacture an antique chambering without the same tolerances. You can't get away with that with a modern chambering. Manufacturers are accountable for producing a rifle that meets more exacting (tighter) standards in chamber dimensions. For example: consider the SAAMI spec of throat diameter on 6.5 Swede (.0053) vs that of CM (.0005). Now could you spend thousands of dollars to have a gunsmith modify a rifle to mask those issues by reaming and installing a new barrel? Of course you could- we've been doing that for decades.
I view it kind of like: my dad's 1977 corvette could be a ten second car… if I dump enough money into making it that fast. Or I can order a C8 for $70k.

Another consideration: we know "inherent accuracy" among cartridges is a real thing, even among hand loaders and custom rifles. You think 6GT, 6PPC, .284 Shehane, etc are/were so widely used in their respective competition leagues if a .243 or a 7Mag were just as accurate and didn't require all the extra work and expense?

The irony of the anti-creedmoor crowd is that they're the real hipsters. Creedmoor is too common and popular and they don't want to be associated with any of those aspects- they'd rather drop thousands to custom build a 6.5x58 and make it get to 3/4MOA so they can turn up their nose at those unrefined losers at the range with their $1,200 Ruger Precision they got from academy, even though it shots a 1/2MOA with shelf ammo.
BINGO! We have a winner. Great insight. Here's a 50% off manufacturers coupon for hair bun accessories at Target. :)

Are you referring to a factory "match" chamber vs a "standard" chamber? I looked at the SAAMI spec for the 260 and 6.5CM and unless I'm wrong both have a spec of .002", Even the Swede Showed a .002" tolerance. Please don't take this as being argumentative, as that's not my intention at all. One only has to look at modern automobile engines compared to stuff from the 70's and 80's to see how far machining technology has developed, and that carries over to other industries including firearms.

Below are links to what I found, please look as I may have misinterpreted them.

Swede.

6.5CM

I totally agree. I wouldn't give a **** about whether or not you like them. But just like Glock and iphone fans ...they continue to feed the fire with ammo to fire back with.....like you said, only the latte drinking, man bun sporting, skinny jeans wearing, Subaru driving, broke back mountain loving, bud light drinking, target shopping, rainbow flag waving, boyfriend kissing keep the flame burning on this.......God love 'em
maybe I'm glossing over stuff, or I don't get out enough. Or maybe I just don't go to places where the skinny jeans hang out. 😂
Do you have a source for people making outlandish creedmoor claims? If I saw more of this fire feeding, maybe I'd understand the blow back against this cartridge.

No it wasn't unnecessary. Remington never did the 260 right. You have to think in terms of saami. Because factory rifles and factory ammunition is where the money is and where most people are. Modern twist rate, longer neck, better shoulder angle. It's an improvement in saami form from the 260.
The .260 Rem still has the edge on the 6.5 Creed
Look at the ballistics.
Remington was too late to come out with any factory 1:8 barrels.

Status
Not open for further replies.