6.5 haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, us old geezers that shoot .270's feel left out from all the memes. Especially if with fast twist, freebore for heavies. We're bald so no manbun, maybe turn down the reflection? Just feel odd man out at the prom.

Much like the 6.5 CM…..the original starter rifle for children! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
Also- 6.5Swede is not a short action cartridge. Should we compare 6.5-300wby too if we're analyzing different 6.5s without regard for case size? Let me know when you find the best way to seat a 156 Berger into a .260 and still fit it into a standard mag.
Dennis DeMille was a .260 shooter that designed the cartridge for a very specific purpose, which was not so that Hornady could market it and get rich off of twerps at the range annoying you because their $800 Ruger American / Vortex combo can do what you spent years and thousands of dollars to build a custom .260 or Swede to achieve.

Feelings? Nah- I don't even own a Creedmoor. I just find the constant crapping on it by some to usually be unfair or downright untrue in many cases. There was room for improvement in the space because it turns out there was actually a big market for people that want to shoot short action length cartridges that handle heavy for caliber, high BC bullets.

DeMille designed a cartridge, not a bullet- what you choose to stuff on the end is a different choice and there are plenty of good options for long, heavy for caliber bullets that are excellent for hunting (across many chamberings and diameters). A deer hit with a Muzzy launched from a Hoyt Stratos is just as dead as one launched from an RX-7.

The 156 is not what I would personally select either, but tons of guys find it perfectly acceptable to stuff a 180gr into a .3sl0w8 and get <2,600fps, so I don't have a major issue with it. At least the 156gr 6.5 has a BC that allows it to maintain more of that (already slow) velocity.
I agree on the 180 grain in a 308. I saw a custom builder make 308 for FTR that was throated for a 215 Berger. First thought that came to mind was just a poof and the tortoise from Buggs bunny running REALLY slow. Don't think anyone here was crapping on it just the claims that it could take down grizzly bears and moose at one mile and skin them in the process. As for launching a muzzy from a Stratos or an RX-7 depends on where the hit is and how far away the animal is and penetration depth. If you don't penetrate the shoulder blade/rib you aren't eating back strap anytime soon.

Feelings? Nah- I don't even own a Creedmoor. I just find the constant crapping on it by some to usually be unfair or downright untrue in many cases. There was room for improvement in the space because it turns out there was actually a big market for people that want to shoot short action length cartridges that handle heavy for caliber, high BC bullets.

DeMille designed a cartridge, not a bullet- what you choose to stuff on the end is a different choice and there are plenty of good options for long, heavy for caliber bullets that are excellent for hunting (across many chamberings and diameters). A deer hit with a Muzzy launched from a Hoyt Stratos is just as dead as one launched from an RX-7.

The 156 is not what I would personally select either, but tons of guys find it perfectly acceptable to stuff a 180gr into a .3sl0w8 and get <2,600fps, so I don't have a major issue with it. At least the 156gr 6.5 has a BC that allows it to maintain more of that (already slow) velocity.
Impact velocity and bullet selection is what matters no matter what cal you choose .

Nothing special or wrong with the 6.5 cm. It's just it was unnecessary with the 260 rem and other 6.5s already out there. I think what makes many haters are that people seem to think it's the best thing since edible underwear thanks to marketing. I know people who have given me crap about hunting with my 260 rem and like 5 years later they get appalled when anyone talks ill of the 6.5cm.

Nothing special or wrong with the 6.5 cm. It's just it was unnecessary with the 260 rem and other 6.5s already out there. I think what makes many haters are that people seem to think it's the best thing since edible underwear thanks to marketing. I know people who have given me crap about hunting with my 260 rem and like 5 years later they get appalled when anyone talks ill of the 6.5cm.
No it wasn't unnecessary. Remington never did the 260 right. You have to think in terms of saami. Because factory rifles and factory ammunition is where the money is and where most people are. Modern twist rate, longer neck, better shoulder angle. It's an improvement in saami form from the 260.

After 48 years of incremental growth in firearm and ballistic knowledge, one of my favorite hunting rigs is still a 50 cal roundball through a custom York County, PA styled swamp-barrel flintlock. Has it's limitations; that's a given... but nothing really 'new' has developed in modern cartridges compared to that in 100 years! Fine by me if you want to split hairs over a few fps and potential accuracy, but all the MARKETING HYPE makes me a creed-hater. Outdoor writers have largely gone the way of national news media - driven and manipulated by profit motives. Shoot what you want - we're still a relatively free country. But the endless cartridge comparisons and rabbit-trails over minutia gives me a headache.

No it wasn't unnecessary. Remington never did the 260 right. You have to think in terms of saami. Because factory rifles and factory ammunition is where the money is and where most people are. Modern twist rate, longer neck, better shoulder angle. It's an improvement in saami form from the 260.
Not sure longer neck is all they crack it up to be. If it was the 300 WM would be minute of barn as it has one of the shortest necks of all cartridges

I agree on the 180 grain in a 308. I saw a custom builder make 308 for FTR that was throated for a 215 Berger. First thought that came to mind was just a poof and the tortoise from Buggs bunny running REALLY slow. Don't think anyone here was crapping on it just the claims that it could take down grizzly bears and moose at one mile and skin them in the process. As for launching a muzzy from a Stratos or an RX-7 depends on where the hit is and how far away the animal is and penetration depth. If you don't penetrate the shoulder blade/rib you aren't eating back strap anytime soon.
(Bow/arrow example: all else being equal- if velocity and projectile are the same, the animal can't read the print on on the riser or the head stamp on a cartridge)

The Creedmoor bro that thinks it'll kill a T Rex at a mile or whatever is a straw man. I've been searching the inter webs for years hoping to meet this person so I can ridicule them, but I think I'm more likely to get drawn for a bighorn first.

But Tyler Freel (Outdoor Life) did actually kill a B&C sized griz with a Creedmoor recently. Don't think it was a mile, but it certainly triggered a lot of fudds.

Not sure longer neck is all they crack it up to be. If it was the 300 WM would be minute of barn as it has one of the shortest necks of all cartridges
The longer neck allows you to seat those high bc bullets without intruding on the powder space as much. Not as much an issue with a win mag. But in a medium size case it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.