6.5-7mm prc

My .277 fetish comes from first hand experience here in Texas. I don't know what it is about that caliber, but things just seem to go down faster with it? The faster you push it, the better it does. Seems like the new 7prc case is just about right to make the heavy .277 work like a charm? When I get to that point again, this will be my next build....I Like my .277s and don't have one in the barn right now
I think this would be my choice over the 6.5 also. I own and shoot 6,5's but can't get comfortable shooting critters over 130-150 pound range. I'm not degrading the 6.5's , if you guys love them, shoot them but think the heavy 277's at hyper speeds would be a dream round . I do love my 6.5 shooting off the bench for range time and shooting Sod Poodles .

Don't plan on any long barrel life. Depending on your rate of fire, number of rounds in between cleanings as well as how you clean it will all have an effect. I'll say peak barrel life will not make it past 500ish rounds.

Bullet length will effect barrel life as well as double base powders will also shorten barrel life will be other factors to think about.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Maybe someone can enlighten me here:

You making 7-6.5PRC in a long action? Is there enough powder in 6.5PRC casings to get the MV you need with long, heavy 7mm bullets (180 class?)?

If you neck down 7PRC to 6.5, are you not getting overbore real quick? We've already got evidence of 156gr Bergers reaching near 3k fps from a 6.5PRC case- aren't you getting overbore beyond that?

It seems like these considerations were on Gardner's mind when he was putting these together and we're trying to improve on perfection. If you build it and it works- that's awesome.

Maybe someone can enlighten me here:

You making 7-6.5PRC in a long action? Is there enough powder in 6.5PRC casings to get the MV you need with long, heavy 7mm bullets (180 class?)?

If you neck down 7PRC to 6.5, are you not getting overbore real quick? We've already got evidence of 156gr Bergers reaching near 3k fps from a 6.5PRC case- aren't you getting overbore beyond that?

It seems like these considerations were on Gardner's mind when he was putting these together and we're trying to improve on perfection. If you build it and it works- that's awesome.
Not sure what mv you are speaking about in the 7-6.5. 7 saum has been around for ages and does just fine. Similar-ish to a 284 win but in a short action.

Not near as bad overbore as the 26 nosler or the 6.5-300 weatherby. There is always a itch that needs scratched with guys who like to wildcat. If people didn't there would never be some of the most famous cartridges out there. It's a nice increase above the 6.5prc but not near the jump of the nosler cartridge. We will see what happens but I think it will be a flat shooting deer/antelope hammer.

Interesting. I knew George Gardner developed the 6.5 GAP (aka 6.5 SAUM). Didnt realize he had a hand in the PRC development
Not sure what mv you are speaking about in the 7-6.5. 7 saum has been around for ages and does just fine. Similar-ish to a 284 win but in a short action.

Where case capacity is concerned;

284win and 280Rem are ballistic twins

7SAUM AND 280AI are ballistic twins

Not near as bad overbore as the 26 nosler or the 6.5-300 weatherby. There is always a itch that needs scratched with guys who like to wildcat. If people didn't there would never be some of the most famous cartridges out there. It's a nice increase above the 6.5prc but not near the jump of the nosler cartridge. We will see what happens but I think it will be a flat shooting deer/antelope hammer.
I am thinking the 6.5-7PRC should be a lot more efficient than a 26 nosler or 6.5-300 wby. You should get close to the same velocities with the 6.5-7 PRC with significantly less powder and have a longer barrel life.

Don't plan on any long barrel life. Depending on your rate of fire, number of rounds in between cleanings as well as how you clean it will all have an effect. I'll say peak barrel life will not make it past 500ish rounds.

Bullet length will effect barrel life as well as double base powders will also shorten barrel life will be other factors to think about.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Mourning Frank. A barrel manufacturer should be happy that us wildcatter don't mind changing barrel ever year or ever other year. Thanks for chiming in and your help. Love your Barrels. David

Hello all
I'm playing around with 6.5 prc. Works great with 51 gr N 550 on top if's 127 gr Barnes LRX . Using federal large rifle gold medal primers 😁😁😁