6-5-300wby

Ok this topic is right up my alley here.
6.5x300 Wby has a better barrel life than what most would expect. If treated properly for a big overbore cartridge you will be easily get 1000 out of her. No Prarie dog shoots or rapid fire at the bench. Give it 3 to 4 minutes between shoots and your golden.

Powders I have settled on US869 Period. N570 and velocities suk. Atleast in MHO. 153.5 Bergers with N570 maxed out around 3150. Awful. US869 I am at 3250 with absolutely ZERO pressure. Soon as it cools to 50° and below I have more loads to see what I can get before I hit pressure.

Now, yes I hear all the comments about US869. Yes it's temp unstable I agree. Totally indisputable. But if you love your 6.5x300 use it for it's strengths not it's weaknesses. ITS A GAME KILLING EXTRAORDINAIRE. KILLING MACHINE. Why in the world would anyone bring this out during the summer for fun shooting. Correct answer is NO ONE.
Work your load up during hunting season or after it before spring and summer gets there. Clean her up and light coat of oil and put her away till next season. I am sure most have other rifles to fill in for fun shooting. If you use your 6.5x300 like this it will last and US869 works amazingly well. Oh I LOVE US869. LOVE IT. 16 LBS ON MY BENCH READY FOR COOLER TIMES.

BRASS. Weatherby factory ammo uses multiple manufacturers of their brass not just norma. Found that out from the source. But I can confirm absolutely that Peterson is having a run coming up in this 4th quarter just a month or so away. Buy early as I'm BUYING BIG TIME. I HAVE about 150 cases or so between factory ammo and factory new Cases. At the time I didn't know that they use 3 different manufacturers of their brass. So I was told that I can call them and they can tell me what manufacturers it's from from The headstamp. So I have that to do. But I am pretty much going to buy a good amount of Peterson brass and go with that. But will see what brass I have from weatherby. If it's all the same I'll continue to use it till it's dead brass. But from my early reports it's pretty dang good so far.

Conclusion.
Use this cartridge for it's strengths and heed it's weaknesses and you will be blessed with a Killing machine that for factory ammo is the flattest shooting cartridge in the world. ( yes I hear you wildcatters. Factory cartridges even if it's proprietary in nature).
Trust me you will love it.

Best of luck
Brian

Last edited:
Recently considered this cartridge. But with the advent of better 25 cal bullets, a fast twist 257 Weatherby seems like it might be a better idea. Only trouble there is Weatherby's 257 are 10 twist. I'd want a 7 twist in either one. So, both are a build your own from what I can tell.

If one bought a factory W 6.5-300, would it likely be accurate?
I honestly believe the factory 6.5-300 is plug and play with premium Weatherby ammunition out to 600 yards. Proper load work up will make 600 yards feel very boring.

I honestly believe the factory 6.5-300 is plug and play with premium Weatherby ammunition out to 600 yards. Proper load work up will make 600 yards feel very boring.
Yup. I was a bit disappointed with the factory Berger 156's velocity wise that is. It shot in the .4's for me but only going 2950 - 2975 :(...
Scirocco were 3350 and shot .3's. That was the best shooting factory ammo of all. Barnes was good too shot .5 at 3200+. I absolutely could of stayed with factory ammo and hunted whatever I wanted. It was great ammo for my 6.5x300. But I like to tinker. Ugg. This was one rifle I never needed to reload for but then I said what's the fun in that. :)

Quite literally, I could of bought 4 or 5 boxes of factory 130 Scirocco II 's and that would of been a lifetime of hunting with that cartridge for me. Big or small near or Far that easily could of handled anything I was gonna hunt.

Yup. I was a bit disappointed with the factory Berger 156's velocity wise that is. It shot in the .4's for me but only going 2950 - 2975 :(...
Scirocco were 3350 and shot .3's. That was the best shooting factory ammo of all. Barnes was good too shot .5 at 3200+. I absolutely could of stayed with factory ammo and hunted whatever I wanted. It was great ammo for my 6.5x300. But I like to tinker. Ugg. This was one rifle I never needed to reload for but then I said what's the fun in that. :)

Quite literally, I could have bought 4 or 5 boxes of factory 130 Scirocco II 's and that would have been a lifetime of hunting with that cartridge for me. Big or small near or Far that easily could have handled anything I was gonna hunt.
The sciroccos are a perfect hunting bullet in my opinion for the 6.5-300. My favorite was the 147 eldm's at round 3200 that were coming apart right before they would hit a bowling pin at 500 meters. Nothing like it. Man I loved that rifle. It's in Montana now with my brother where it really belongs. Again I think you're exactly right about a few boxes of ammunition lasting plenty long. The only rife my brother purchased out of a ridiculous amount that I didn't reload for was a 257. Absolutely no way I was going to improve anything and I would have punched him if he started using it like a target rifle.

Which factory model would you guys buy? Don't want the cheap ones if they have crummy stocks. How about the Talon? It has a light, upgraded stock. Too light 6.3 lbs, too much recoil?

Which factory model would you guys buy? Don't want the cheap ones if they have crummy stocks. How about the Talon? It has a light, upgraded stock. Too light 6.3 lbs, too much recoil?

Yes, felt recoil is more in lighter rifles, especially with heavier stout loads. A better muzzle brake than their factory offerings might help. You also get more barrel whips (harmonics/vibration) with the 26" over the 24" barrel.

I'd mostly be shooting 80 to 116 grain bullets inside of 600 yards for varmints and hogs. I'm too old for shooting farther than that. Those light bullets would limit recoil.
There is no substitute for personal experience. You just have to try it for yourself and see if it meets your requirements/expectations. Good luck!

If you go with the Talon, the first thing I would do is get a real muzzle brake. I cannot tell the difference in recoil with the brake on or off my 6.5-300 Vanguard. I own a number of Vanguards and have found them all to be exceptionally accurate with handloads.

I know a guy well that I've seen do the same with that brass.
Said individual also told me He was getting 3800fps with the gun builders ammo, using some kind of 140gr. I tried to explain he wasn't getting near that. No use.

After about 10-12 shots I helped him zero his scope at 100, he wasn't getting anything accomplished. But that barrel was about to glow.

When you don't know, please ask or listen when someone concerned and knowledgable is available. Makes it hurt less to watch!

I know a guy well that I've seen do the same with that brass.
Said individual also told me He was getting 3800fps with the gun builders ammo, using some kind of 140gr. I tried to explain he wasn't getting near that. No use.

After about 10-12 shots I helped him zero his scope at 100, he wasn't getting anything accomplished. But that barrel was about to glow.

When you don't know, please ask or listen when someone concerned and knowledgable is available. Makes it hurt less to watch!
He might be if shooting 85 HH bullets!!