5r barrels

Bigeclipse

all,
I see these claims that Remington's 5r barrels are always accurate, at least by the weekend shooter's standards (at least 1moa or significantly better). If that is true, I wonder why Remington just doesn't slap that on all their 700s? If the only difference is 5r rifling as opposed to the normal 6. Just curious why Remington and others just don't go 5r for everything.

My personal experience has the 5 R type rifling effecting the cleaning and jacket damage more than most conventional rifling designs. they tend to foul less because the land to grove angle is not 90o, so the barrel fouls less an/or is easier to clean. but there are other premium barrels that have the right finish and foul less and clean up fast also.

I personally have not seen an accuracy improvement because of the rifling design. If you have a quality barrel and the smithing/assembly of
it is done right and true, the rifle should shoot well.

I chose the type of rifling based on the use and maintenance of the firearm.

I like "ALL" good barrels !!!

Just my experience

J E CUSTOM

all,
I see these claims that Remington's 5r barrels are always accurate, at least by the weekend shooter's standards (at least 1moa or significantly better). If that is true, I wonder why Remington just doesn't slap that on all their 700s? If the only difference is 5r rifling as opposed to the normal 6. Just curious why Remington and others just don't go 5r for everything.
Plain and simple...Money and profits. To do this, it would require complete retooling of all their hammer forging barrel dies, which costs A LOT of money. They see how successful the Milspec line has been, and how accurate they have been, and now it appears they are starting to slowly upgrade some of their other models with it. But it does appear to be spreading, with the new AWR line of rifles, so hopefully they will be a big success, and start integrating it into the rest of their lineup. But, to completely just swap up everything out of the blue, would require them to scrap all the barrels they already have stocked up, and then waste money buying all new tooling, etc... That would be a HUGE loss. So, it's more economical to slowly integrate.

If your Rem 5R is shooting well, it is because you have a good rifle and barrel period, not because of the rifling style. Many things have been blown out of proportion about the 5R since it's wide spread introduction.
It is easier to clean up, and you do go longer between shot strings, because the design doesn't engrave the jackets as hard. So that rumor is 100% true. I can attest to this personally, with all my 5R barrels.

As for more accurate, that's a bit of an old wives tale. I've got some traditional 6-groove rifled Remingtons that will shoot sub-1/2 MOA on a regular basis with handloads, so I'd have to say the whole accuracy rumor is a wash.

A good barrel is a good barrel PERIOD! I can assure you there are some very good shooters shooting buttoned barrels across the country. The cut versus button debate is just that a debate. Button barrels will shoot as good as cut rifled barrels IF all processes are done properly.

It's my understanding that the Remington 5R barrels are hammer forged, the rest are button rifled. The 5R barrel I have is incredibly smooth and accurate. It's one of the easiest barrels to clean that I've ever had.

It's my understanding that the Remington 5R barrels are hammer forged, the rest are button rifled. The 5R barrel I have is incredibly smooth and accurate. It's one of the easiest barrels to clean that I've ever had.
They're all hammer-forged now. Their older barrels were button-rifled starting in the late 1800's and perfected in the 1940's, but I do not know when they stopped button-rifling, and started hammer forging.

They're all hammer-forged now. Their older barrels were button-rifled starting in the late 1800's and perfected in the 1940's, but I do not know when they stopped button-rifling, and started hammer forging.
Good to know. Maybe the mandrel used for the milspec models have tighter specs? As stated in my previous comment, the bore finish is far superior to "standard" 700 barrels that I've owned.

Good to know. Maybe the mandrel used for the milspec models have tighter specs? As stated in my previous comment, the bore finish is far superior to "standard" 700 barrels that I've owned.
I've noticed this as well. I have been told the Milspec barrels are not built by Remington, because they are made from the same blanks as the M24's, and that M24 blanks are not made by Remington. But I don't know this to be true. If this is not true, then I think you might be right that they use tighter tolerances on the mandrels for the 5R model rifles. Most of my factory 6-groove barrels have been hand-lapped to remove the tool marks, and those are as smooth as my factory 5R barrels. So, I'd say you're right.

Most rifling has canted sides on the lands. Even conventional. 5r just has more cant. There is also a large variation from manufactures on their 5r style. In certain target applications I am strongly against 5r barrels for accuracy reasons. In general for raw accuracy in competition like Benchrest you will see 4 grooves out perform 5r style barrels where slight differences in groups size matter. Now before you tell me how a 5r barrel shot won this match or that, I am not saying it does not happen. But I have seen it often enough that if you send me a 5r blank for a Benchrest build I will call you and try to talk you out of it. For every other application I like them, most of them. Some manufactures seem to make consistently good shooting barrels whether conventional or 5r, I am more of a fan of the manufacture than the style. I have not seen that any style is faster, or cleans easier on a consistent enough basis that I could pin it on the type of rifling. My personal favorites are Broughton and Rock Creek for 5r barrels.

When I was looking for the best barrel I could get for my 30/375 S.I. canyon buster, I called Krieger and talked to one of their techs who also shoots competitions for them. I asked him about 5r vs 4 groove and he gave me the COMPANY answer. "They are equally good!" I then asked him what he shot in competition? "ALL of my rifles have 4 groove barrels!" Send me a 4 groove, I said:) I do have 5r barrels, in Krieger and Bartlein, and they all shoot great and clean up the same, as far as I can tell. I think when you get a good barrel that is properly lapped; there is not much difference.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts