50 Cals for Hunting Dangerous Game? Real World Experience? Bullets/Loads?

longestrange

Thinking about a 50 for dangerous game. Wondering what your experiences are as a primary weapon. Also be nice to know if it would be a good backup and when to switch to backup? Finally, what bullet/loads do the job?

Dangerous game backup. First thing I would consider is what I can control on multiple shots. Granted first one should do it, but being able to recover after the first one in a timely manner would be of concern to me.

Thinking about a 50 for dangerous game. Wondering what your experiences are as a primary weapon. Also be nice to know if it would be a good backup and when to switch to backup? Finally, what bullet/loads do the job?
Revolver?
What dangerous game do you have in mind?

Ok, I'll play!
What kind of dangerous game?
What kind of .50?
Grizzly or such, or maybe bison. Can't afford Africa.
Not looking for the biggest .50, just one that will get the job done. Recoil control/followup is a concern as JSHKS pointed out.
Revolver?
What dangerous game do you have in mind?
Revolver would have to be double action, can't imagine fumbling with a hammer. Disadvantage is they kick more than a semi-auto. Semi-auto would be a Desert Eagle.
Not looking for a rifle or carbine.

Just realized this was in the handgun forum. I change my answer to .475 linebaugh. Single action shouldn't be a problem. Shoot a couple cowboy matches and you will have that down.

Not quite a 50 but I really like my Super Blackhawk .480 Ruger. Very tolerable recoil compared to my .44 and .454. She just seems to hit where I need when I need. Although due to weight when backpacking I carry the 10mm more. That and more rounds loaded.

This is all you really need, The flame that comes out of this thing is so long that you could cauterise the wound that you just inflicted. LOL This ones a six shooter most Casulls are five.

Dean
IMG_0265.jpg

Last edited:
Just realized this was in the handgun forum. I change my answer to .475 linebaugh. Single action shouldn't be a problem. Shoot a couple cowboy matches and you will have that down.
That's a pretty interesting compromise. Looks like it can be tamed a bit by switching away from ball powders (they detonate at reduced loads).
Not quite a 50 but I really like my Super Blackhawk .480 Ruger. Very tolerable recoil compared to my .44 and .454. She just seems to hit where I need when I need. Although due to weight when backpacking I carry the 10mm more. That and more rounds loaded.
Apparently the .480 Ruger can be fired in a .475 linebaugh.
This is all you really need, The flame that comes out of this thing is so long that you could cauterise the wound that you just inflicted. LOL This ones a six shooter most Casulls are five.

Dean
Ha! Doubles as a flare gun in an emergency! Probably needs a really fast powder.

Guess everything is a compromise. As a primary weapon a longer barrel = more power and accuracy, but as a backup or as something to carry whilst retrieving game a shorter barrel would reduce weight.
Still sortof eyeing a desert eagle due to the reduced recoil of a semi-auto. You can't download these but a quick barrel/magazine change and you have a .44 mag in a big, heavy pistol.
Was thinking Hogden's CFE BLK powder is a tad slower than 296/H110 but might be just the ticket for a heavy bullet in a long barreled handgun. Yeah, I know it's a rifle powder but sure seems to have potential. Anybody try it? One advantage is that it is available.

Here is my Ruger 480 story, I bought it with the scope on it and the first time I fired it, they inside of the scope sounded like a bunch of loose ball bearings were in there. The retical was gone and one of they adjustments turned freely and they other was really hard to turn. So while the scope was out being repaired, I started aiming through the rings and if I made it so I could not see the second ring that thing was dead on. And when the scope came back I sold it and have been sighting it like that ever since.

Dean
IMG_0271.jpg
IMG_0273.jpg

I had a 480ruger GREAT gun. Load it up with H110 for some hot loads, or trail boss and cast bullets for loads that are like shooting a 38special.