460 smith&wesson

I love my 460, it's the epitome of versatility. Shown in picture, left to right: light load 300 grain (bought a bunch of "blems" on sale), a 400 grain wide metplat, hard cast at max load, and a duplicate to a 2 1/2" .410 shotshell (.444 Marlin Magnum brass). Add to this the ability to shoot, 45 LC, and .454 Casull, though I prefer "not" to use the shorter brass....makes it a pretty good "all around handgun"! memtb

mkiC9hwl.jpg

my .460 S&W is a first run ruger #1, all i have fired is a few factory rounds so far, I have all the cases and .452 bullets ready to load. I bought it for a super price as it sat on the rack for a long time with no takers, I made a realy low ball price and and he sold it to me.

If it's braked, it will have little recoil and little muzzle climb so scope wise you won't have an issue. I can shoot my 460XVR offhand. I equate the recoil to shooting a .38

I looked at both the 460 and the 500 S&W for more power than my 454.

No question that for sheer power the 500 has the most, "But" for overall performance, I chose the 460 for many reasons. I also chose the 8.5" barrel for portability and at a very small lose of velocity. The fact that it could also use 45 LC and 454 Casull ammo made it attractive but was not the deciding factor. My 460 comes with the S&W muzzle brake and believe it or not is easier on me than my 454 was.

The longer length barrels may get more velocity than the 8.5 length, but to me they are unmanageable while hunting. the 10+" can propel a 300 grain bullet to 2000+ft/sec with mild pressures (53,600 psi) the round will handle 57.000 psi safely so my 8.5 length easily reach these velocity's and still be under the max design pressure.

I find the 8.5 length 460 to be a pleasure to shoot and also having more than one 44 Mag find the 460 easier and more pleasant to shoot than the 44 Mag without the brake.

I am in the process of designing a more efficient muzzle brake for the 460 and the 500 S&W that will be easy to install/and replace the factory brake. the results will be posted later once it is designed and tested.

The 460 has become my favorite handgun for shooting and hunting and with over 2800 ft/lbs of muzzle energy with the 300 grain bullets, and 2860 with the 360 grain load from Buffalo Bullets factory ammo I think it would handle anything in North America.

Just my choice

J E CUSTOM

"The 460 has become my favorite handgun for shooting and hunting and with over 2800 ft/lbs of muzzle energy with the 300 grain bullets, and 2860 with the 360 grain load from Buffalo Bullets factory ammo I think it would handle anything in North America."........

Lets include anywhere, Africa as well. Myself, I have no issue with the long tube. Great up here in Michigan, I just use a handy tree trunk or branch to steady it.. If I pull a Maine Moose tag this year, I will be using it for a Bullwinkle too.

"The 460 has become my favorite handgun for shooting and hunting and with over 2800 ft/lbs of muzzle energy with the 300 grain bullets, and 2860 with the 360 grain load from Buffalo Bullets factory ammo I think it would handle anything in North America."........

Lets include anywhere, Africa as well. Myself, I have no issue with the long tube. Great up here in Michigan, I just use a handy tree trunk or branch to steady it.. If I pull a Maine Moose tag this year, I will be using it for a Bullwinkle too.

Agreed.

My hunting requires a long walk or a long ride on a 4 wheeler so I use the chest holster to carry it hunting. the 8.5" barrel with scope is manageable but longer barrels are not so handy and especially on a 4 wheeler. No doubt the longer barrels will produce more velocity, but portability is important with my type of hunting.

Here is a previous post that might interest you. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/handgun-for-hunting-elk.199975/#post-1418232
Look at Post #11

J E CUSTOM

Agreed.

My hunting requires a long walk or a long ride on a 4 wheeler so I use the chest holster to carry it hunting. the 8.5" barrel with scope is manageable but longer barrels are not so handy and especially on a 4 wheeler. No doubt the longer barrels will produce more velocity, but portability is important with my type of hunting.

Here is a previous post that might interest you. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/handgun-for-hunting-elk.199975/#post-1418232
Look at Post #11

J E CUSTOM
I must be appreciably taller than you...lol I carry the scoped XVR in a cross draw chest holster (ballstic nylon) I got on Flea-Bay for I think, about 30 bucks. The bipod won't fit in the holster but don't matter to me because I have plenty of trees available up here in Michigan for a rest. Have no trouble rididng my quad with it in the holster but in reality, I usually walk to where I hunt, one never knows what one might find in the woods on the way in.....:D

Only drawback I can find is the noise issue and to a lesser extent, the weight. It's crazy loud. It also weighs a bit more than my hunting rifles. I wear Walkers Game ears when shooting it and I can still feel the 'pressure from ignition.

People that see it look at me like I'm nutz. If only they knew how capable it is, but then, new, retail it's not a cheap date either.

You guys and your 460's; I like the x-frame pistols but hunting the badlands like I do makes you think about how much heavy gear you have.
I've been using a srh 44 mag for years and recently bought a s&w 686 357 with a 6" pipe for a lightweight popper for critters. A 357 with a 158 or 180 will do all I need it to do up to 100 yards or so (pop a deer that's too close for the rifle) and she's dang near a pocket pistol compared to the 460. Heck, I might even stuff some xtp handloads in my beretta 96 and hunt that this fall; I'm falling in love with the auto and she's legal for deer here and accurate enough too.

You guys and your 460's; I like the x-frame pistols but hunting the badlands like I do makes you think about how much heavy gear you have.
I've been using a srh 44 mag for years and recently bought a s&w 686 357 with a 6" pipe for a lightweight popper for critters. A 357 with a 158 or 180 will do all I need it to do up to 100 yards or so (pop a deer that's too close for the rifle) and she's dang near a pocket pistol compared to the 460. Heck, I might even stuff some xtp handloads in my beretta 96 and hunt that this fall; I'm falling in love with the auto and she's legal for deer here and accurate enough too.

I'm doing fine btw. 100% cancer free but I do look like a field dressed deer...lol Charter member of the zipper club, from my breastbone to my belly button and around the right side halfway. Nice reminder of what could have been a death sentence.

My 460 is no heavier than a hunting stick (8 pounds scoped) and easier to carry in s cross draw chest holster. I need to check with Maine as far as using it for Moose. I have a feeling I'll draw this year, certainly have enough preference points. I do ned to load up some Swift A frames in the 300 grain flavor yet.

The 460 far outperforms my 29-44 Smith wheelgun for distance and kinetic energy.

Between Maine and New Mexico it's promising to be an expensive fall. No problem though. I worked all those years t have the funds to do this hunt stuff and I will.

My cancer has brought me to the realization that life is fleeting so I better enjoy it while I'm here for I could be gone tomorrow.

SidecarFlip, All the Best, may you remain cancer free....and enjoy your 460. I need to get out, and enjoy mine more!

By the way, how'd you get your user name....you didn't race sidecar motocross, did you? memtb

Flip, it's good to hear you are doing well.
As to the 460, I might buy one eventually, but I'm not sure. I'm putting together/ rebuilding a 7rum right now, so it'll be a while before any other toys enter the basement. Just picked up a Vortex and some rings for it today. I'd like a bit better scope, but other bills are calling too.

SidecarFlip, All the Best, may you remain cancer free....and enjoy your 460. I need to get out, and enjoy mine more!

By the way, how'd you get your user name....you didn't race sidecar motocross, did you? memtb

Thank you. No, my Granddad's real name was Flip so I 'adopted' it. Yes, I have a Triumph with sidecar attached.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.