460 smith&wesson

TXAoudadKlr

Hey guys,

I'm looking in to getting a revolver for hunting. I have settled on 460s&w for the caliber, just not sure on which barrel length I should go with though. Is there much of a difference in velocity between the 10.5 and the 14'' barrel? For those that have hunted and taken game with one how was its performance on game? I plan one using it on hogs and deer mostly and if the opportunity come up maybe an aoudad or two

I handgun hunt deer (here in Michigan) with a Model 27 S&W 44 magnum 8.75" barrel. It has a Japanese Burris handgun scope and a custom made (by me) mount because it's a 2 screw vintage model and I don't want to destroy the value.

It's wicked on deer and woodhogs so long as the distance is 100 yards or less. Over 100 yards, the bullet starts to get wonky.

With any caliber revolver you won't have near the muzzle velocity of a long gun so your distance is limited. One of our hunting group has a braked 500. I prefer the 44 because one, it's lighter and 2, even with the brake, the 500 is a wrist brusier. I imagine the 460 would be as well.

If I had my drutherrs and a large wallet, I'd get a Ruger Blackhawk single action 41 magnum. Much less kick than a 44 or bigger and just as much killing power.

I was also looking at one of S&W's performance centers 44 Magnums with a brake. I'm still weighing my options but I really like the sheer Horse Power of the 460.

You won't like the weight or the recoil. Not having hefted a 460 versus the 500, I can say the 500 is cumbersome while the 44 is large but still handleable (I think thats a word...lol)

You can't hip holster a 500 (not sure about the 460) but my 44 (with iron sights instead of the scope) is easy to wear in a DeSantis.

Like I said in a previous post, I'd have a .41 (I had one years ago and took a bunch of deer with it but sold it and never got another. You can one hand a .41 for a snap shot. You can't a 44 and I'm pretty sure a 460 is a 2 hander like the 500.

Maybe Clint Eastwood can one hand a 44 but I can't.

Personally speaking, I don't think you need a brake on a 44, especially if you hand load. Factory loads are usually hot, You can tone down the recoil (and muzzle jump) if you tailor the loads to your spercific application.

My 44 has a quick sharp recoil and jump but it's quite controllable.

I don't even notice it when I shoot at an animal, even if I make a studied shot, but then last year I made a hip shot at a running deer with my 338 Lapua (I was sitting down leaning against a white pine dozing with the Lapua in my lap and a buck came by me, unaware I was there. I had to stand up and I spooked him so I just ripped one off from my hip and missed of course). **** tail stayed up.......:)

I never lost control of the gun and I never noticed the recoil either. That was with a 250 Grain SGK with 89 grains of H100, lots more power than any 44 or 460 or 500 would make....

Whatever you decide on, just remember that the long tubed rifle has the range and bullet stabilization that any revolver lacks but you can't jam a revolver or at least I never have.

Ive shot them both. 460 and 500. Don't wasnt your time or money on a 460. If you plan on using your pistol as grizzly defense then ya a 500 is justified but I definitely side with sidecarflip. The 44 mag will kill anything you'll be shooting as dead as dead can get and a 44mag is a lot lighter and easier to carry then a 8 3/8" barrel 500 mag x-frame.. I had a shoulder rig built for mine it makes it a lot easier to pack and after your 15 - 20 miles in the back country it sure is a nice comfort.

... If you haven't shot a x-frame it'd probably be a good idea before you spend the money. My 500 smith with hot load of lil gun below a 440gr gas check cast bullet... You better be holding on even with a brake.

I just bought a X frame in 460 S&W 8 3/8 "" bbl. I have a 8" Colt Anaconda Both guns are "Bad to the Bone " I'd say the x frame ( With out looking at the specs) feels about 20% heavier. I've shot 20 rounds through it so far.New Star line brass LRMprimer 39grs of H110 300 gr Hornady XTP bullet. 1 st shot I asked my self "Just what was I thinking " BUT because I've been shooting a 44 magnum nearly 40 years.The 2nd shot felt less then the 1st and so on. I fired all 20 rnds in about 20 minutes and "Its all Good " If you like big bangers go for it . I just bought some 200 gr bullets. I'll let ya all know how those recoil . But for me there is NO turning back I love my X Frame !

I like my 460. It's shoots 200gr bullets nicely on deer. If I hunt bigger game it can shoot as heavy a bullet as I want. It will also shoot a 45Colt or a 454 if you want a lighter load

As with any weapon and game shooting bullet placement is the key. The 44 mag is a whole lot easier to shoot, especially off hand, than those revolver cannons. Plus, you can shoot a whole bunch more 44 mags for the cost of those cannon rounds. I have hunted with a Ruger Super Black Hawk 7 1/2" barrel, and a Ruger Red Hawk with 7 1/2" barrel for deer and have not found a single one that could tote off a 240 Sierra HP pushed by 22 grs of 2400. Matter of fact I have not had a deer tote off a 250 XTP or Cast SWC doing between 1000 and 1250 fps from my 45 Colt Ruger Black Hawk. Back when I was as poor as Job's turkey when I first got married I used an old WWII Colt 1911A1 45 ACP with a Cast 200 gr SWC and 7 grs Unique to keep deer meat on the table, and yes sometimes even out of season. A man has to do what he has to do to feed his family. Fifty yards and closer placed through the heart/lungs would let the air out of a deer quickly.

I'm not a handgunner. Like a prevoius post stated, back when I was poor, I used the handgun for table meat and I still use my 44 on our proprerty up north for deer ocassionally but for me, a rifle is a better choice.

'One mans ceiling is another mans floor. In that case I prefer a 44.....'

A poet and didn't know it.........:)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.