459 Yard Buck - and the founding of LRH.com

ADMIN

Administrator
In 1997 I posted this story on a couple of forums or "newsgroups" and was absolutely hammered for being a good-for-nothing idiot to think that it is acceptable to shoot big game at long distances. (459 yards isn't even really very long, is it?). It was the first time I had tried to have a conversation about long range hunting on the internet.

After a couple of frustrating years I decided to start my own website to provide a sanctuary of sorts where like minded LRH proponents could safely discuss their passion.

Ten years ago, in April of 2001, LongRangeHunting.com was established. Today we have over 33,000 registered members and 260,000 different visitors each month. Click here to read more: https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/459-yard-buck.485/
This is a thread for discussion of the article, 459 Yard Buck By Len Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good writing Len. I'm glad they gave you grivance which pronted you to the creation of LRH. It truly has been a special place for me in over six years of membership.

Thanks and Congratulations!

Javier O Moncada

MachV

As soon as I saw your user name in the notification email I thought:

"My gosh, there's one who's been here from the start."

Great story!! My first long shot at a groundhog was 625 yards and I don't think I even hit it but I was real close, close enough for me to say "I can do this" and it has just gotten better ever since. We all owe a lot to you for being one of the founding fathers of long range shooting. I know you weren't the first but your willingness to share all this with others really has been tremendous and really has created a whole new industry. Thanks!

PS the paperclip is missing from this thread!!

Last edited:
Great story, Len.

I'm actually surprised to learn that long range hunting is such a niche segment of the hunting world as I've only ever been interested in rifles if they were highly accurate and highly capable of ... something.

18 years ago I got interested in sniper rifles but never bought one because I had no use for one. Now that I'm finally living in the mountain West I'm looking forward to hunting, practically for the first time in my life, and have transferred that interest in military long range shooting and high quality rifles/technology into a new interest in elk hunting. I joined this site last week and joined the RMEF today.

Looking forward to 10 more good years.