780 yard buck down!!!

remingtonman_25_06

This deer season has definately been one to remember. I've already lost 2 decent bucks to other people claiming them. I"m not gonna go into detail on those, but lets just say I got bent over on both of them, end of story. My so called "friends" ended up claiming them. Oh well, life goes on.

This last friday, I was finally able to get my chance at what I wanted, a 650-800 yard shot on a nice muley buck. My previous longest is 618 yards which was last years buck with the same rifle, but with a different bullet. Last year I used the 168g Berger VLD. I am using a Rem 700 BDL, 7 RM w/162g AMAX @2875fps. Leupold vx3, 6.5-20x50, 30mm tube, SF, fine duplex. A Holland QD brake allows me to spot my own hits. Nikon 800 Buckmasters Laser Rangefinder. Me and a buddy had spotted this nice 25" 2x3 with double eyeguards moving through the bush. We watched him for a while and planned a sneak attack on him. We were already looking 1000+ yards, I just wanted to get to this knob about 300-400 yards ahead of us that would give us a vantage point and a good prone shooting position. Well we made it to the point and located the buck again. He was just milling around feeding, not worrying about a thing. I got out the nikon 800 and ranged him a couple times, I got 778, 780. I felt really comfortable out to 800 with my 7 RM. I"ve been practicing a lot on my 15" gong at 700-800 yards and knew I could do it. I looked at the wind and thankfully, there was none, zip, nadda. I laid the Harris BR bipod out, got all snuggled behind the 7 RM w/162g AMAX and got the buck in the picture. I dialed my scope up exactly 16 MOA, I did not touch the windage. As I was looking through the 20x scope, I was just waiting for him to turn broadside and stop for a few seconds. Theres no need to be in a hurry in this kinda situation. I took my time and when the time came, put the 20x fine duplex crosshair right on his shoulder, and tripped the 2 1/4# trigger and was quite happy to hear the resounding "whop" right afterwards. He reared up and went about 25-30 yards before piling over. I was pretty happy, and my friend was excited to! I had just taken my farthest big game kill, at 780 yards, and made a great 1 shot kill!! After the high fives and congratulating, we made our way down to the buck. I had hit him a bit back, but the 162g AMAX did its job beautifully, leaving plenty of damage. Musta been about a 1 MPH wind I didn't see, ha ha.

Pics might be a while..I have no home computer, and the one I am using is SUPER SLOW. However, I would really like to get them on here, so stay tuned and I'll try my best to get them ASAP.

All in all, its been a good deer season for most everyone I"ve talked to. Lots of bucks taken, and lots of big bucks taken or being seen. So there still plenty out there..

Congrats! Nice shot, good on you for taking your time and waiting. Look forward to the pics. Sounds like maybe it's time to find some new friends.

Cheers

Great job man. Were you hunting Columbia basin this year? I haven't seen you on here much latley, glad to you had a good season. Next year I am going rifle hunting, one way or another. Even If I have to hunt out of state. I can't just sit back and watch all this death, I must partake.

Way To Go Rem. Man, Great Shot! Thanks for the report and cant wait to see the pics. **** Buddy with "people" like that who needs enemies notice I didnt call 'em FRIENDS!!!

Take it easy and Awesome Shooting!!!

Congradulations..................
thumb.gif

Hey definately good, sound shooting! Too bad about the other deer. I can't believe people do that. I'm new to SE Washington and other people have already warned me about "low-lifes" in the Blue Mountains taking your animal! I read about that years ago, but never experienced it, yet. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.