459 Yard Buck - and the founding of LRH.com

Hmm...article not found!? But I can tell you Len that I had a similar experience on a WY mule deer hunt. My guide glassed a nice buck at about 8:30 in the morning on a far away hillside. After almost a 5 hour hike/stalk we found him and the guide ranged him at 437 yards. He asked if I could make the shot and I told him I could. He said that the outfitter didn't want the hunters taking shots over 300 yards!! I told him I could do it. And with a good solid rest on a backpack and lying prone, when my .270 Win barked the 4x5 mulie dropped where he stood.

Hmm...article not found!? But I can tell you Len that I had a similar experience on a WY mule deer hunt. My guide glassed a nice buck at about 8:30 in the morning on a far away hillside. After almost a 5 hour hike/stalk we found him and the guide ranged him at 437 yards. He asked if I could make the shot and I told him I could. He said that the outfitter didn't want the hunters taking shots over 300 yards!! I told him I could do it. And with a good solid rest on a backpack and lying prone, when my .270 Win barked the 4x5 mulie dropped where he stood.

Nicely done!

Hey, that guide or Professional Hunter thing can go both ways. I went to Africa hunting in Namibia, I had made a couple pretty long shots with my 300 Wby. We came up over a dune and there's a big male Ostrich about 400 yds away and he's hauling hinny. PH said, shoot him, that's a nice male. I said are you crazy I can't make that shot. Got my Ostrich later in the hunt at about 100 yds, he was crossing at about a 45 degree angle and hauling it. One shot with a 7-08, hit it in back, almost missed him. Won the least amount of shots bet with my buddy on the Ostrich.
Len, thanks, this is BY FAR my favorite site. Although it has ramped up my spending on guns and reloading equipment considerably!!!
Take Care

This is a thread for discussion of the article, 459 Yard Buck, By Len Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Well len from one len to another. Very good job now in 2022 your site would appear to be the go to site for almost everything huntin related and you've acquired a user group with amazing depth and width of knowledge on pretty much everything to do with hunting from fishing to building the most over the top competition typ rifles ever. Furthermore many of these members are very professional and willing to share their knowledge. Which in my mind makes all of us better outdoorsman. Thank you

Thanks for the website Len. We are a different kind of people that love the long range shooting and hunting. There's a lot out there that have tried to beat me down on the hunting part. I'm not a guy that like to see animals suffer. And I try and practice enough to feel confident and make good shots. It sure is nice to be around like minded souls that are more than willing to help out on anything a person needs help with. And lots of knowledge. I live in West Virginia and there's not many places a guy can shoot over 300 yards. I got lucky and bought 200 acres I can shoot out to 900 yards! I shot whitetail at 700 yards this past year. One shot one kill. Was awesome! I did it with reloads I made and I just wanna say I couldn't have done it without help from several members here. Awesome sight and hopefully it goes on for many generations! THANKS A LOT!!!!

Thanks for the website Len. We are a different kind of people that love the long range shooting and hunting. There's a lot out there that have tried to beat me down on the hunting part. I'm not a guy that like to see animals suffer. And I try and practice enough to feel confident and make good shots. It sure is nice to be around like minded souls that are more than willing to help out on anything a person needs help with. And lots of knowledge. I live in West Virginia and there's not many places a guy can shoot over 300 yards. I got lucky and bought 200 acres I can shoot out to 900 yards! I shot whitetail at 700 yards this past year. One shot one kill. Was awesome! I did it with reloads I made and I just wanna say I couldn't have done it without help from several members here. Awesome sight and hopefully it goes on for many generations! THANKS A LOT!!!!
You could always do it.
You just never knew it. lol

I look at all of this stuff as continuous improvement. If I am currently comfortable shooting prone @ 400 yards then maybe in 6 months it will be 500 yards. Additionally, can you turn what use to be a challenging distance into a chip shot.

Last edited:
Back in the 70's I shot a buck at 300 yards and got the same treatment you got."Are you crazy""No ethical hunter will attempt a shot that far"
and similar.At the deer camp that night I slept in my truck.
Now I'm proud that I can shoot 300 yards easily and out to 600.
Thanks Len.
Nowadays there are guys taking game at 700yds & out with muzzleloaders, smokeless muzzleloaders at that. I know of deer kills out to 880yds with 275gr .45 cal bullets out of smokeless muzzleloaders'. Who'da ever thunk it huh. AINT IT COOL!

Good for you Len on following your instincts and launching LRH. I look forward to every issue with the stories and opinions of the many followers and readers of your fine website.

Cheers Hombres!