.358 umt ???

Totally serious, it abbreviates well .358 BICUM, and it fits the reason I built the rifle to begin with.... Now I just wish I could have them engrave that on the barrel instead of 358 Ultra Mag Imp. But we can't have everything.

Totally serious, it abbreviates well .358 BICUM, and it fits the reason I built the rifle to begin with.... Now I just wish I could have them engrave that on the barrel instead of 358 Ultra Mag Imp. But we can't have everything.

Sweet. Make sure you post some pics when it's done. That 358 should lay the smack down pretty dern well.

t

Come to find out my "go to" rifle for moose works great for Grizzlies too. While it may not qualify as Long Range, 190 yards is close enough for anything that may want to take a bite out of you, and I wouldn't risk a wounded bear past about 350 yards. 31 August 2015 my Caribou hunt was interrupted by 7' 8" Grizzly, I had 2 rifles to pick from so I grabbed the 358 Ultra Mag and anchored him with one 225 TTSX. The amazing part to me was, the bullet did not exit, he froze while absorbing a calculated 3700 ft lbs of energy, then swapped ends and fell, grave yard dead. Yes I still like this round and it's performance, heck, I didn't even notice the recoil on that shot!

I sure do like mine, performs well with 200 gr ttsx or 225 tsx. Recoil is stiff but my rifle isn't one of the heavyweights either. Stainless 700 Bdl in a Rem stock. A friend of mine has the only other one known to be in Alaska, both were made by a professional barrel maker in AZ with a reamer I ordered out of OR. In 2009 a grown Alaskan Moose received 1 TTSX from a lasered 325 yds and promptly expired. He was good eating too! I have a 3-9 X 40 Pentax Lightseeker which has served me well. I don't shoot .338 and my 7MM is a SAUM (good for sheep or caribou), therefore I'm not sure about the comparison. I also have some cronygrapgh data at home tho I won't be there until 18 Jan. The fine folks in Nebraska made my dies from 3 fired cases. I'd be glad to share any more information I can about this rompin-stompin round.
I just traded for a savage in 358 UMT the other day. I have limited data for hand loads. Could I pick your brain? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts