358 Wildcats

.....HARPERC did your rifle get good groups with 200 gr bullets?........Old Rooster

I don't think we ever went that light, but 35 years ago now. My recollection is Shilen using the 1-12" twist was only for a short time. Barnes made a 275 original I was hoping to use, that was discontinued about the time I took delivery on my rifle.

Like I said it would work great at .35 Whelen levels, but hit the throttle and it got squirrelly.

I had a .35 Whelen, and it worked great in its range, but we were looking for long range potential.

I have no doubt with todays bullets, back then, we'd still be using a .35 of some sort. Probably .358 RUM with a 275 Hammer.

Calibers don't catch on for any number of reasons. The 9.3's suffer similarly this side of the ocean. Better bullets have made all calibers better.

iowaelkbum I read about that and Mike Belm is currently making a barrel for the 350 legend of T/C Encore's.
In one of his news letters he spoke of taking a Henry lever rifle and removing the barrel and worked his magic and it now shoots the 350 legend or maybe his version as he has worked on it for many years before Winchester started their rendition.
Many years ago he blew out the 223 case and shortened it a bit and loaded 180 gr bullets at insane velocities.
He also had an AR 15 rebarelled to his new cartridge that got real good groups.
Being on his news letters list has been a good read for years.
Old Rooster

I have a 360 Imperial Magnum, which is a 350 Remington Ultra Magnum but with a 28 degree shoulder and yes It pushes a 250 grain over 3000 FPS. The Imperial Magnum cartridges came out before the Remington ultra mag cartridges, Remington took the Imperial Magnum when they went belly up and changed the shoulder angle and called it theirs. (I got this info from Aubrey White, the fellow who owned The Imperial Magnum Corp.) I really like Mine I only wish There were Higher BC bullet out there. Accubonds are about the highest in a 225 grain. Hammer bullets and cutting edge bullets are a bit better If you go with a faster twist barrel on your build

360 Imperial sounds like a good option.
Many thought of the good old 358 Norma Mag as a good option but take a look at the price of 358 Norma Mag brass: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/119076/norma-usa-brass. 42 bucks for 25 and even the Remington brass was made for 358 Norma Mag years back was super expensive when found.
I had a chance of buying one many years ago but the deal fell through and I traded for a 35 Whelen instead.
I sold my last 35 Whelen a few years back as all the elk I saw were 300-400 yards away.I wish I had it back.
Old Rooster

The best reason for a .35 Whelen is a desire to keep the rifle light, and handy, while maintaining good terminal performance, at close range.

A good reason for the .358 Norma is maintaining magazine length while stepping up to moderate range.

To get the most of .35 long range potential one needs more magazine room, or single load.

Not much (if any) weight savings in a good .358 Norma rifle for me to give up the performance of full size magnums. Especially as I think it's with 275 grain plus bullets does this caliber will shine brightest.

An ideal version might be the Montana PH model, with it's capability to use the biggest cases with a 4" magazine.

The Cutting Edge 340 gr MTH bullet is 2.061" long and has a projection length of 1.470" when seated to the seal tite band. Pretty much a single feed bullet in any cartridge, You can custom order the bullet to be made with the seal tite band moved up but will have to buy a minimum of 250 pcs

the 358 Jager in second pic is basically Kirby Allen's 338 Raptor necked up to .358 cal with no other changes, at 4.547" coal it makes for a very long cartridge but with 142 gr of h20 capacity it has the arse to ship that bullet out at proper velocity

The 358 Jager and 338 Raptor ie "338 Lapua Long" case was the idea presented to Tubb and he ran with it to do what are now the 33 XC and 375 XC cartridges

You can buy Petersen made 338 XC cases directly from Tubbs website, I just got 50 pcs in and case h20 came in at 138 gr, a bit less over the Raptor due to the shoulder pushed down for a longer neck

The 358 XC would make a helluva 35 cal hunting cartridge with the CEB 340 gr MTH bullet and for competition use, Badlands Precision is now making a 340 gr ELR bullet that requires a 1:7 twist barrel, bc is astronomical and I will report once it is confirmed, higher than anything in 338 cal for sure ....

358's.jpg
358 Jager vs 338 Norma vs 338 Lapua.jpg
IMG_9108.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts