358 options

Gray R

Hey guys. I'm thinkin about a new build in 35 cal and I was hoping to hear from those who have some experience with em. I really like the 358 sta numbers but the Norma seems to make a lot better sense and I was wondering if there was anyone who had used the Norma and what kinda of velocities you were getting. Thanks in advance!

My .358 is a wildcat created to meet Indiana's current unique deer season regs (.358 minimum bullet diameter, 1.8" max case length). Termed the .358 WSM 1.8", of which there are several similar variations. Cases can be formed from 325 or 300 WSM cases with the custom dies, a hacksaw, and a trimmer.

I'm pushing a 225gr Accubond around 2770 fps, so the power level is between a 35 Whelen and a 358 Norma. But I do it in a true short action cartridge that is very efficient.

I was very happy with its performance at 300 yards on deer. No 358 is a true long range rifle due to the bullets available, but with the 225gr Accubond I'm pleased with the rifle for its intended use. It is light, and will likely see use as a backpacking rifle for elk eventually.

Yeah I'm looking for a 300 yard gun with a lot of knockdown power more than long range I just asked here cause the cartridge knowledge on this website is unlimited. Thanks for the input!

Yeah I'm looking for a 300 yard gun with a lot of knockdown power more than long range I just asked here cause the cartridge knowledge on this website is unlimited. Thanks for the input!

Let me know if you need more details. Mine was chambered/barreled by a top smith in Indiana. Had it in under 6 months. IMHO 358 STA is overkill for anything but bear. I've got a buddy building a 50cal wildcat off the 300RUM case driving 400-500 grain bullets at 2500+ fps for that. :D

I just finished annealing a bunch of cases I formed for the gun. It wasn't all that hard for the performance I get in return. It is nice because you can use ANY WSM you can find as a parent case.

.358 Norma Magnum is one very great round that is easy to reload and it gives much power in a load. It can handle from 180 grain to 310 grain Woodleigh as the heaviest , with 250 and 275 as options in between. My .358 is a S&L Otterup rifle 65DL, and it have given me much good range time, and it have been a joy to handle in woods . One thing i think it holds a fine niche is a miz between the .300 Win mag and the .375 H&H . The 180 grain rounds is a fun way to train or for varmints . 200 grain also. 225 Accubond or TSX is very flatshooting medicine . I loaded a 225 Accubond to about same trajectory as a 270 AI . That leaves not very much room for flatter loads . IT likes Norma powders like 204 good for serious loads and hunting, VVN for match and training . One thing that is best, get a little bit longer barrel 24 inch and 26 inch too, As it it yields even better with an inch or so more . Look up Jens Perto , a great Danish hunter who have traveled much of the world and have used his .358 on many dozens of various species of game . A Great round that gives much buck for the money . Art Alphin of Asquare wrote that it did not have good bullets back then so wait with it , i think it was until it got better ones around . With the ones to get today, its a fine way to use as it was made the USA . And the 180 grains is of .357 Magnum bullet models , they work very well. I kept it short and simple, i found one load, just used different bullets with the same powder amount . Try one, you will like it much .

Even the .358 Win would meet your needs with room to spare. Mine pushes a 200 gr TTSX to 2565 fps. Not a flat shooting cartridge, but point blank range is still over 200 yds. Bullet energy of over 1700 ft lbs at 300 yds is more than enough for deer. My rifle is a pre-81 steel Browning BLR and it's one of my favorite deer rifles.

I don't have a chronograph to tell you velocity but I do own/shoot a 356 Win, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 350 Griffin & Howe and 358 STA. All would do the job out to 300 except the 356 Win, however the last 2 mentioned are real power houses. Don't get me wrong, the 358 Norma Mag can hold its own also. They have all done great for hunting here in Alaska and yes I'm a 35 cal fan.

The .358 Norma Mag, this great Scandinavian invented cartridge (Nils Kvale), is the right medicine for all types of (very) large and dangerous game on all continents. Due to .375 limitations in certain African countries, the .358NM is not allowed for B 5, even if this wouldn't be a challenge.
It accelerates a 250gr bullet with 2880fp/s what's about as fast as a 30-06 does with a 165grainer … Unlike the 340Wby the 358NM uses standard Mauser or (30-06) rifle actions which makes the calibre suitable for almost everyone who likes to upgrade his ordinary gun to high power standards.
[FONT=&quot]If I'd go hunting in Africa either the 9,3x64 Brenneke or the .358 Norma Mag (more likely) would be my preferred cartridge.[/FONT]

I built a heavy barrel STA years ago, Some of my findings:

1- Brass was a little difficult to get ahold of.
2- Bullet selection kind of sucks. The 250 Partition offered a decent BC...
3- Not at all difficult to load for, seems to be a forgiving cartridge
3- COAL was too long for the action I was using.

A 225 TSX at 3100fps is some pretty serious medicine. :cool:

t

.358 STA is 8mm Rem Mag case necked out so one can use that to reform into .358 in a pinch , or .375 H&H also .

http://thehuntingshack.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ProductList2014.pdf

HSM makes a standard line .358 NM with 250 Grand Slam bullet. It does not say what energy or speed, but this bullet i have shot much , only on paper unfortunately. But it was on various ranges , and it grouped very good. I liked it very much, but on game where no one know where it will turn up. Bonded bullets are for me to reach for .

if they had made a bonded version of it , as it was one of the first Premium bullets . That would have made it a good option.

Schultz & Larsen of Denmark makes a rifle in .358 NM, and it is a system rifle so barrels can be changed as one wish for to be in cartridges as one choose for .
Home - English

If one opt for factory fodder , Norma makes a FMJ 230 grain Jaktmatch load and a 250 Oryx Bonded one .

One way to go for is use one bullet for all, and my choice will be later this to try the 275 grain Woodleigh PP as that will go for mush big game and medium ones, but a 225 grain flies fast and flat . I like the 225 AB very much

Btw, anyone know if there is a redesigned 225 AB with shorter plastic tip now ? The older models i used had a longer tip so had to push them deep in magazine for it to work properly as a repeater and not single fed

404Jeffery474.jpg

A Picture of my rifle . S&L 65 DL .

with the current bullet selection I'd stay with a bigger 338 for longer ranges and go with something like the whelen or 358 norma if you want a 35 cal.. I like my whelen a lot but for 1/4 mile+ shooting it is not.

if the Norma can push the 250 to almost 2900 than that's plenty for me. And like I said this is 300 yard max gun so B&C really doesn't come into play I just like unusual stuff. Thanks guys

@.358 NM, thanks for your last post with included great information and the appetising photo! When purchasing an extra barrel for the Schultz & Larsen Victory the .358 Norma Mag will be highly considered. It doesn't cost that much either.
[FONT=&quot]@Gray R, you are right! The .358NM delivers more than enough power and with the 2[FONT=&quot]25[/FONT]gr AB or 250gr Partition, as @.358 NM and @Outlaw6.0 mentioned, you would be comfortable out to at least 600 yards.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.