357 Magnum for bear…?

wilkup

I get suckered into all the "what handgun for bear" discussions and will likely continue to thinking about it until my dying breath.
Handgun protection from bears is just a fascinating topic, especially with the experiences I've had hunting bears with rifles!

I've read the story of Phil Shoemaker and his encounter with a coastal brown and the 9mm Buffalobore "Outdoorsman" round.
9mm appears to work.

I've also read many have begun flocking to the 10mm over the past decade as a viable bear defense round.
10mm also seems like a healthy choice.

This leaves me very curious about the 357 magnum. With the 120gr Extreme Hunter from Underwood, they're claiming 1700fps from a copper solid. That's wild! Buffalobore has a 180gr hardcast that's pushing 1400fps as well. When comparing these loads to the top end 10mm, it would seem the mighty 357 mag should easily be able to hang in the acceptable for bear defense crowd.
I'm curious to hear if anyone hunts bears with a handgun chambered for this round?

Handgun protection from bears is just a fascinating topic, especially with the experiences I've had hunting bears with rifles!
I have been in this discussion a bit lately:
1) I'm not likely to hunt bears with a handgun, or a rifle chambered in .357
2) Having seen black bear get off the deck hit with a .375 I doubt there is anything in a handgun reliably dropping bears.
3) I've seen a few shot with .44 rifles, not overpowering but it does work.
4) As always bullets and situation matter. A good bullet in a pistol caliber carbine works well with hounds, probably decent with bait.
5) A young friend just left for school in Montana. He hikes a lot, but hasn't really been a firearms guy. I sent him off with one of the new Colt Pythons, and a recommendation for the Buffalo Bore 180 grain hard cast.

I don't think one can expect a handgun to "stop" an attack, but "deterrence" is possible. I've heard a variety of versions of Shoemakers 9mm kill, but mostly it seems that bear lived awhile. I place it with tales of Inuit and their .22 LR's, yeah it happened, but I suspect an actuary calculating the odds of it working is needed.

Don't underestimate the .357 Mag. If you have the correct bullet there would not be a problem killing a bear.
KNOW to this QUESTION.
I think everyone is trying to relay on a Handgun that will stop a "CHARGING" Bear whether it be a Griz, Big Brown, Big Black or Polar. And think about the smaller ones that can get right to you!!!

You got not in order for stopping power.
.357 mag
.44 Mag
.454 Consul
.45 ACP
10 MM Semi Aiuto
AND A FEW MORE

The main thing is ACCURACY IT has to hit a very serious SMALL vital area to DISABLE a charging bear OF killing IT. Most of the firearms I listed will do that with a correct bullet.

There are some videos that I recently posted for all to review. I did not make the videos, BUT THEY ARE VERY GOOD.

IF I HAD JILL'S 357 MAG MODEL 19 LOADED WITH A GOOD DEER/BEAR BULLET I WOULD HVE THE CONFINDENCE TO TAKE THAT BEAR DOWN.

NOW DEPENDS ON HOW CLOSE THE BEAR REALLY WAS FROM THE BEGINING ENCOUNTER AND TIME TO PREPARE.
UNLESS IT IS A TOTAL SUPRISE FOR BOTH YOU AND THE BEAR

DON'T KID YOURSELF. ONCE A BEAR DECIDEDS TO CHARGE YOU - YOU ONLY HAVE SECONDS TO ACT.
MY FIRST RULE IS NOT TO GET IN THAT POSITION.
IF YOU SEE A BEAR WHILE FISHING OR DOING A STALK HUNT - TRY WALKING AWAY BACK REAL SLOW. REMEMBER THIS IS THEIR COUNTRY!
WHISTLE AT THEM. MAKE YOURSELF GOING BIG GOING BACKWARDS.
PRPARE FOR THE WORST IF THINGS GO SOUTH. HAVE YOUR FIREARMS LOADED AND SAFETIES OFF.
Can't tell y'all the spots in the world I was in and de-escalated them. It is much better to go home than have a BEAR Charge you get shot or runover by a herd of beasts.
Have to stop now and my continue at a later dat. Have too much electrical work for tomorrow.
Len & Jill
'

I normally carry a 44 mag but this year carried my XD in 45 ACP when bow hunting bears. As the bear came at me, I was glad I had something but wished I had more. When he got within 10 feet I stopped my yelling at the bear and I let the XD do the talking. Three quick shots into his front torso persuaded him to look elsewhere, but he still made it about 40 yards before he piled up. My buddy witnessed the whole thing and it was nuts. Anyway, glad the bear went away instead of at me as he would have had time to do lots of damage. Will a .357 work, sure, the .45 ACP did, but will any of them stop on in his tracks, doubtful.

I've told this story before on hear.its documented in a ol local paper.Game warden was releasing a ornery grizzly.In back of truck parked on small bridge, bear turned and pulled cage and guy out.As he was falling he pulled 357 and shot bear multiple times on way down, dead bear.This was a relocate project.

For black bear, .357 with hot 180's should do an adequate job for hunting if he can place the round(s) properly. HOWEVER, I would have a rifle backup. For grizzly, something that starts with a 4. And I would still have a rifle backup.

I get suckered into all the "what handgun for bear" discussions and will likely continue to thinking about it until my dying breath.

I've read the story of Phil Shoemaker and his encounter with a coastal brown and the 9mm Buffalobore "Outdoorsman" round.
9mm appears to work.

I've also read many have begun flocking to the 10mm over the past decade as a viable bear defense round.
10mm also seems like a healthy choice.

This leaves me very curious about the 357 magnum. With the 120gr Extreme Hunter from Underwood, they're claiming 1700fps from a copper solid. That's wild! Buffalobore has a 180gr hardcast that's pushing 1400fps as well. When comparing these loads to the top end 10mm, it would seem the mighty 357 mag should easily be able to hang in the acceptable for bear defense crowd.
I'm curious to hear if anyone hunts bears with a handgun chambered for this round?
It was years ago, and I know little to nothing about bears as I have never hunted them. My plan is to never hunt anything that can eat me lol. Anyway, I heard a conservation officer from Alaska say one time he did not know of a single incident where anyone survived a coastal brown bear attack with a pistol smaller than 44 Mag. Like I said I know nothing about it, but I do remember him saying that. They have a ten-foot stuffed one at the Basspro in Tulsa, and I'm thinking 50 cal might be a starting point.

Ive killed several black bear using 158 grain jacketed soft points loaded to an max charge of a Lil Gun and using the 140 grain XTPs with a max charge of H110. None of the shots were past 75 yards and I got complete pass through on all of them except where the xtp was lodged in the off side hide. In a levergun I can push these loads to substantially more juice than I do with a wheelgun. The xtp will expand to .70 caliber when pushed to 1400+ fps.

Ive killed several black bear using 158 grain jacketed soft points loaded to an max charge of a Lil Gun and using the 140 grain XTPs with a max charge of H110. None of the shots were past 75 yards and I got complete pass through on all of them except where the xtp was lodged in the off side hide. In a levergun I can push these loads to substantially more juice than I do with a wheelgun. The xtp will expand to .70 caliber when pushed to 1400+ fps.
That’s impressive!

A handgun no matter what caliber is a last ditch effort when used for defense against a bear...if using one you better be able to make the first shot count because more than likely any shots after the first it will be on top of you....
The best gun for bear defense is a 12 ga. with 18" barreled shotgun shooting slugs....I guided bear hunters for over 50 years it was the only gun that I would use.....

A lot of bears, especially Eastern Blacks, have been killed with 357's, intentional and in defense, so it is well established they will do the job, most of the time. While I don't usually carry a 357 for bear defense, when I do, I have a couple of different loads using a 190gr hard cast LFN and a 180 JFSP.

Below from L-R are the 190 hard cast, the 180 JFSP and the 158gr XTP for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 19

Recent Posts