338 Win Mag help please

Magazine fed. We're using up all of the magazine.....but that is were they live! My wife doesn't like "single-shot" rifles! :D It is a compressed load....though not nearly as compressed as seating a 270 grain TSX (.375) over 96.0 grains of RL19 in my AI! :eek: memtb

In 3 of my 338's with 250's I wasn't able to get over 2775fps in 26" barrels using RE22. Pressure would max out right there, but I will add that the 250gr Partition was .001" off the lands at 3.390" in my Win Model 70 and .010" off in both Kimbers I have.
The 250gr Accubond was able to get 2800fps without issue.

Cheers.

I'm wondering what RL16 would do in a 338 wm, the burn rate acted alot like H4350 in another rifle I did some load testing with.

Thanks all
I have several of the powders mentioned and access to a great "hole in the wall" reloading store. Hopefully this rain will let up and I can start the process.......

I have run both Rl-19 and 22 in 300 Win in the past and I'm not a huge fan. I may resort back to it but I plan to try a few other more temp stable powders first. Are the 250 grain bullets worth purchasing to try in the 338 Win or will the velo be to low?
Thanks

I've messed around with a 338 WM quite a bit. I've not found the 250 Bergers to do well in anything I've shot in this caliber. Also, off a bench, IMO, 250 grains and up can be very viscous on the shoulder. I personally think the neighborhood of 225 grains is about the sweet spot for this caliber. I've found H-414 to be the best powder I've used and yes I've tried RL-19 and RL-22 as well. Lots of folks love 19 but it hasn't worked out for me. I don't know why but for this caliber, I've noticed significant benefits to doing a rough seating depth test in 30 or 40 thousandths increments. Mine shoots best with .225" jump. Bullet is a 225 gr. Barnes TTSX if I remember correctly.

I went to 77.5 gr. with a 225 Sierra bullet and was right at 2900 fps, 24" barrel, but accuracy was a little over MOA.

That's pretty good numbers if I can get the group a little tighter. Thanks for the info....

I have used many of the bullets listed and have good luck with most of them,but the bullet that has performed the best is the 210 partition with 73 grs of IMR 4350.Never had an animal take a step

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.