.300 Win Mag......Need Help......please

Well, I decided on the .300 Win mag. This gun will be primary a hunting rifle. Rifle has a 1-11 twist. Kinda rare ,. I guess a "classic" hunting twist. Gun will be used for Nilgai/Elk.

What bullet weights/Brands will work best with the 1-11 twist. I don't have the rifle yet, it is in transit. So, I haven't been able to measure to the lands for OAL.

I need a "hunting" bullet

I need a "Match" bullet

I have

RL-26
H-4350
H-1000
H4831ssc
IMR 7828ssc
H-4350
Retumbo
RL-22
N-560
I have a friend who has a tikka 1.10 twist, he loaded h4831 with Sierra 165 grain, it is 3150 FPS and shoots at less than 1/2 MOA .

best luck of your reload,
Tom

Well, I decided on the .300 Win mag. This gun will be primary a hunting rifle. Rifle has a 1-11 twist. Kinda rare ,. I guess a "classic" hunting twist. Gun will be used for Nilgai/Elk.

What bullet weights/Brands will work best with the 1-11 twist. I don't have the rifle yet, it is in transit. So, I haven't been able to measure to the lands for OAL.

I need a "Match" bullet

I have

RL-26
H-4350
H-1000
H4831ssc
IMR 7828ssc
H-4350
Retumbo
RL-22
N-560
I personally prefer H 4350 and 208/212 gr Hornady eld-x and eldm.....just me

H-4350, H4831, @ H1000 powders should work very good in that rifle. Depending on barrel length will probable determine the powder that you will use. The first two powders there isn't a problem with Extreme Velocity Spread for Temperatures. I use H 4350, Fed 210 primer in my 308 Norma Mag with a 26" barrel. Velocity of 3300fps with a 165gr Accubond. Put down 6 elk out to 300+ yards. They were all stopped with the first shot. I wouldn't have any problem with extending that yards to 500yds. Good wound channel, and not much in blood shot either.

Last edited:
Nosler 190gr ABLR or 210 gr if it will stabilize in you barrel. Nosler 200 gr AB is good too as well as the Partitions but they have lower BC's if that matters to you. But they kill everything. I don't shoot target bullets so I can't help there.

I need a "Match" bullet

I have

RL-26
H-4350
H-1000
H4831ssc
IMR 7828ssc
H-4350
Retumbo
RL-22
N-560
1-11 twist for light Bullets. Nilgia are tough heavy Bullets better

+1 on the 185 juggernaut and or 190 berger. I shoot them out of a 1:11 and they do very well. In my experience even the 210s do fine in a 1:11. If you're looking for just a hunting bullet I like nosler partitions, accubonds, or sirrocco 2.

I have excellent results with 180gr Accubond in my Kimbers and Win Model 70's due to mag length of 3.4" which restricts capacity with 200+gr bullets.
In my Rem 700's I run 200gr Accubond and 210gr ABLR for all my hunting as powder space is not compromised. Powders I run are H1000, RE25 & Retumbo.
I have never found a temp stability issue with RE25 as I rarely hunt deer in warm/hot weather.
I would also give 190gr ABLR a try in that twist, if they shoot as good as the 210gr, they will be the bees knees.

Cheers.

I have a friend who has a tikka 1.10 twist, he loaded h4831 with Sierra 165 grain, it is 3150 FPS and shoots at less than 1/2 MOA .

best luck of your reload,
Tom

Tikka 300WM has a 1:11 twist rate, I have one. And I'm going to try this load, currently using H1000 and Nosler Partitions and getting 1 1/2" groups :-(
Same bullets in my Sako A7RTpro, same rate if twist, I get sub MOA with IMR4350.. havent' tried that powder in the 300 yet

Couple of pieces of input. Why a difference in a match bullet and a hunting bullet if one bullet can meet your needs?
I'd go with a 180 grain Nosler Accubond, good BC and reliable terminal performance. I run this bullet exclusively in my 300 Win. Only exception is if I'm hunting LARGE African game, then its the 200 Grain Swift A-Frame and then I'm always inside of 250 yards for the most part. Know the drop/dope for your altitude and temp, or keep the chart at your fingertips when hunting. Second, the glass and your competency with it is going to be the essential portion of solving the equation your presenting to everyone. Obviously your going to reload, so after some descent load development and H1000 your pretty much set. Finally I'd put a descent trigger on the thing, Jewell, Timmy Hit or Calvin Elite, or an upper end TriggerTech. You'll kill anything inside of a 1000yards with some descent practice.

Tikka 300WM has a 1:11 twist rate, I have one. And I'm going to try this load, currently using H1000 and Nosler Partitions and getting 1 1/2" groups :-(
Same bullets in my Sako A7RTpro, same rate if twist, I get sub MOA with IMR4350.. havent' tried that powder in the 300 yet
Watch Extreme Velocity Spread for Temperatures: With the IMR4350, Reloder 19. Also look at AccuBond bullets.

I have ordered

1. Berger Juggernauts
2. Hammer 162 Hamer Hunters (for 1-11 twist)

Hammer is BRILLIANT selling 15ct sample packs of their bullets

I never thought of the accubonds as accurate or Bergers as good hunting bullets

Rifle, scope and mounts are inbound. I'm leaving for a whitetail hunt tomorrow. Pick it all up Tuesday from FFL

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts