338 Win Mag help please

ka30270

Been reloading for over 25 years but never a 338 Win Mag. This will be used mostly for whitetail and wild pigs. I am considering either the 230 ELD-X or the 250 Berger Elite Hunter. Any info on either or load info would be greatly appreciated, doesn't seem to be a great deal of info on this round since the Lapua, RUM, etc.

Thanks

Haven't used either of those bullets, but through loading the 338WM since 1989, I can tell you that RE19 is THE powder to use in this cartridge.

Bullets I have used are 225gr AB/PT, 250gr AB/PT and Berger 300gr OTM. Years ago I used Speer's 275gr Semi Spitzer, but it was discontinued.
The 250gr and 300gr got highest velocities with RE22, but RE19 was most accurate.

Cheers.

Yep, rl19 will give excellent velocity and accuracy. It can be temp sensitive so if you hunt in extreme temps, single digits or high 90's maybe not the best choice, but normal hunting temps it will be fine.

I've found the Berger 250 issues too Mich case capacity in this cartridge. The 225 sst or 230 eld make a great long range bullet, they can be driven to 2900+ in a 26" barrel. Of you want a 250 for long range work, the Sierra game king is awesome. They can be pushed around 2800 +/-.

I worked up a load last summer for my 338wm the 230eld-x and imr4350 with good accuracy (1/2 moa) @2895fps. Was able to hit 3002fps with a lot of psi signs. This is a 24" 10 twist barrel.

If its going to be cold, either work up your load at/near those cold temps or start out with a known Temp stable powder...save yourself a bunch of grief! R19 was the pits in a 338WM/Barnes 185XLC load I had. At 10degrees the groups opened up and speed dropped almost 200fps. Went to H4350, dead cow elk later that week! :)

I've never had temp issues with RE19. I hunt in temps from -8 C to 42 C here in SE Australia.
RE22 is another story, going from 20 C to 30 C has a huge impact on pressure and speed.

That's the coldest I've used it in so maybe you're correct RevJim.

Cheers.

In my rejection above of R19 I should say that, first off, while I forget the charge I used, I need to add "the rest of the story". :) This was back in 2002 and I had some of the older Barnes 185gr XLC, the ones with the blue coating. I had never used R19 but Barne's Manual listed it as highest velocity. Now, that bullet was so slick that I could not get decent speed without having to use a highly compressed load. I even had to "reseat" them a week later as the powder column was "pushing the bullet out of the case". I had previously worked this load up right at 40F. 10 days before my late season cow hunt ( late December) a storm came in and temps dropped. It was 10F when I "checked my zero" at the nearby range. My groups were about 4", so I set up my chrono and found I had lost almost 200fps. I went home, ( four miles away) pulled the bullets and the R19 was a solid "cake". I had to dig it out with a small screwdriver. I then made some workup loads ( I forget if it was 72 or 74gr H4350 I settled on) and zeroed for it. Sweet juice! Now, "It could be" that the solid cake was the issue, in conjunction with the cold. They ignited fine, no hangfires, etc.I don't know if it was an anomaly, but it "spooked me", I am a total OCD Reliability Freak, ha. This was before LEE's Factory Crimp Die ( which I use all the time now on everything) and those XLC bullets were slick as snot. I'm glad they went to the relief grooves and dropped the coating line. I used Federal 215M primers, WW cases. The only cartridge that I used R19 in, ever again, was the 240W. In two different rifles, 54gr with the 90-95 gr bullets was champ. "Maybe" the larger amount, highly compressed, caked powder column at that cold temp was the culprit. I just can't use R19 in a magnum case again...:) I also had some high temp issues with R22 in a 280AI but at 20F in Namibia we used R22 & 76/180 xbt in the 300WM with no problems, but I just don't use it anymore. I tested R15 in a 35 Whelen/310 Woodleigh from load workup at 70F down to 20F and it never made a bobble, good stuff! Same with the Hodgdon Extreme line. I'm one of those "True Believer's" in light Premium bullets in Medium calibers ( 338 up) and believe they cut a bigger hole than a same weight bullet in the 300WM. I used a 180NAB at 3500fps in a 338 RUM on a big aoudad. It cut a hole like a Partition, about golf ball size, all the way through. That's another great bullet, IMO. I used the 210xbt in the 340W on Plains Game and zebra and it was just awesome. The TSX and TTSX are just so much better now, IMO. Lots of great choices in the 338 caliber. Good luck to the OP!

Last edited:
I have run both Rl-19 and 22 in 300 Win in the past and I'm not a huge fan. I may resort back to it but I plan to try a few other more temp stable powders first. Are the 250 grain bullets worth purchasing to try in the 338 Win or will the velo be to low?
Thanks

I have run both Rl-19 and 22 in 300 Win in the past and I'm not a huge fan. I may resort back to it but I plan to try a few other more temp stable powders first. Are the 250 grain bullets worth purchasing to try in the 338 Win or will the velo be to low?
Thanks

Traditional 250's, ie, Gamekings, Hot-Cor, Partitions, etc, can be pushed to 2800 without too much trouble. High BC bullets like Bergers use too much case capacity to be worth it, IMHO.

We're running RL 22, in my wife's .338 WM. We're getting acceptable accuracy ( approximately 1" at 100), pushing 225 Barnes TTSX's to 2950 from a 24" barrel! Been using that load for quite some time, it has been very effective! memtb

We're running RL 22, in my wife's .338 WM. We're getting acceptable accuracy ( approximately 1" at 100), pushing 225 Barnes TTSX's to 2950 from a 24" barrel! Been using that load for quite some time, it has been very effective! memtb

Are you single feeding these or loading from a magazine? I have used the Barnes in several calibers and they are a long bullet compared to lead.

IMR 4350 with 210NP in my 338 win mag. RL19 went to 2800fps and wouldn't go any faster no matter how much powder I put to it.
H4350 might be better its suppose to be more stable I havent tried it IMR worked so good.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.