338 SS split dies and fired ADG brass measuring .006 at the web

Do you get the expansion below what is the "quoted" start charges?

I had to drop way back, basically top end 338-06 loads. I know, different cartridge, but that aligns with my previous post.

I think you found your problem. Back the load off 10 or 20% and start from there and work your way back up. You'll just have to go buy a new die to replace the one that split.
Did all that guys

I'm getting the .006 expansion at velocities much slower than he claimed I could achieve. My 35 Whelen out produces what this *** cartridge is doing.

Appreciate your comments and suggestions I've been through all of it

I'm simply looking for guys that have had the same issue

Last edited:
Have you found any others that have experienced the same issues?
Surely there are multiple contributors in the website data.
IMG_0133.png

Have you found any others that have experienced the same issues?
Surely there are multiple contributors in the website data.View attachment 584783
I have - but in their confession they are trying to help solve the problem… the problem is at this point it can't be solved - if you gotta run it at 35 Whelen velocities that defeats the purpose

Total joke - Greg at ADG who manufactures the brass said just said run it at 2600/2650 if I wanted a 35 Whelen I've got one in my safe

Last edited:
The thing about a lot of this stuff is if you want to duplicate numbers, barrel for barrel you pretty much need to start with barrel manufacture and stick with it. I've built most all of the Sherman's, usually #1 or 2 I've had fast and I've had slow. I've had one that the barrel was just a little tight and soft steel that was over max pressure with a low fire forming load I've used on many rifles. If you expanding a case head you have soft brass or pressure.

The thing about a lot of this stuff is if you want to duplicate numbers, barrel for barrel you pretty much need to start with barrel manufacture and stick with it. I've built most all of the Sherman's, usually #1 or 2 I've had fast and I've had slow. I've had one that the barrel was just a little tight and soft steel that was over max pressure with a low fire forming load I've used on many rifles. If you expanding a case head you have soft brass or pressure.

That is true but when you are sooo far off the confirmed capabilities as told to you by the cartridge designer himself it becomes product liability issue.

That is true but when you are sooo far off the confirmed capabilities as told to you by the cartridge designer himself it becomes product liability issue.
He can't guarantee the quality of your multiple rifle components, the quality of the workmanship that assembled it or your capability as a handloader. If you haven't gotten a disappointing barrel in your career you are either lucky or pretty new to the custom game.
And you expect him to be held liable because of your choices that didn't turn out as you hoped.? Perplexing to say the least.
A lot of factors come into play, here.
Many that are more likely to cause disappointment, than cartridge design.

The customer provided load data tells me the case is capable of delivering.
And believe me when I tell you, I've come up short of expectations/hopes enough times to know, if you are WAY short of REASONABLE velocity, there is a bona-fide reason. And it's infuriating until the issue is resolved.

Just because one rifle gets 2800fps doesn't mean ALL rifles will. There are so many variables it is impossible to predict. That is like saying my .338SS shoots into the .1s, and then expecting them all to do so.

You still have not given any load info, just a velocity. Which means next to nothing. As I said, I have a 24" 7SS that pushes a 184 anywhere from 2800-2900+ dependingbon powder choice. You are adding 40+gr of bullet weight in a shorter barrel with the same case, and expecting the same speeds? Be realistic.

There is no "one size fits all" for load development.

Sometimes you get a dud. Everything will mic out perfect, but something just doesn't work.

I will say it again...swap the barrel and be done with the frustration. Time and effort is worth way more than the cost of a barrel replacement.

I'm assuming you sent the split die out and can't post a picture of that either?
It's two splits dies at this point - Hornady has already replaced one … according to them it will continue to happen until the reason the web is expanding.006 is identified

This is straight from the engineer at Hornady who makes the dies for the 338 SS.

Just because one rifle gets 2800fps doesn't mean ALL rifles will. There are so many variables it is impossible to predict. That is like saying my .338SS shoots into the .1s, and then expecting them all to do so.

You still have not given any load info, just a velocity. Which means next to nothing. As I said, I have a 24" 7SS that pushes a 184 anywhere from 2800-2900+ dependingbon powder choice. You are adding 40+gr of bullet weight in a shorter barrel with the same case, and expecting the same speeds? Be realistic.

There is no "one size fits all" for load development.

Sometimes you get a dud. Everything will mic out perfect, but something just doesn't work.

I will say it again...swap the barrel and be done with the frustration. Time and effort is worth way more than the cost of a barrel replacement.
Lance I've given all that data along with my rifle and brass to ADG and the new owner of sherman wildcats … I have to let them have first crack at figuring it out it's unfair to post too much details. Hence why I've only asked if other 338 SS adopters have had this issue.

Recent Posts