338 SS split dies and fired ADG brass measuring .006 at the web

Just because one rifle gets 2800fps doesn't mean ALL rifles will. There are so many variables it is impossible to predict. That is like saying my .338SS shoots into the .1s, and then expecting them all to do so.

You still have not given any load info, just a velocity. Which means next to nothing. As I said, I have a 24" 7SS that pushes a 184 anywhere from 2800-2900+ dependingbon powder choice. You are adding 40+gr of bullet weight in a shorter barrel with the same case, and expecting the same speeds? Be realistic.

There is no "one size fits all" for load development.

Sometimes you get a dud. Everything will mic out perfect, but something just doesn't work.

I will say it again...swap the barrel and be done with the frustration. Time and effort is worth way more than the cost of a barrel replacement.
If it's that easy for you lance please send me the $850 for a CFW barrel and $500 for the new chamber …

Just because one rifle gets 2800fps doesn't mean ALL rifles will. There are so many variables it is impossible to predict. That is like saying my .338SS shoots into the .1s, and then expecting them all to do so.

You still have not given any load info, just a velocity. Which means next to nothing. As I said, I have a 24" 7SS that pushes a 184 anywhere from 2800-2900+ dependingbon powder choice. You are adding 40+gr of bullet weight in a shorter barrel with the same case, and expecting the same speeds? Be realistic.

There is no "one size fits all" for load development.

Sometimes you get a dud. Everything will mic out perfect, but something just doesn't work.

I will say it again...swap the barrel and be done with the frustration. Time and effort is worth way more than the cost of a barrel replacement.
Lance you're making a lot of assumptions in your comments.

Rich gave me the fps info not once but twice … I didn't just come up with that on my own … I based my decision to adopt the cartridge off his word of its capability and $2750 later for barrel chamber work reamer and 200 pieces of brass I find out it's not even close to being reasonable.
IMG_0585.jpeg

This is not a case of oh it didn't meet my expectations so there for I want a do over. There's even more to the story that I'm unable to disclose and why I'm looking for 338 SS adopters that didn't meet their expectations.

I had a 338SS, my load data is on the sheet using the 250 Bergers and H4350. Not a single issue with what you are experiencing before I decided to go to the MEGA and a shorter barrel. Wish you luck in figuring out what is wrong.

I had a 338SS, my load data is on the sheet using the 250 Bergers and H4350. Not a single issue with what you are experiencing before I decided to go to the MEGA and a shorter barrel. Wish you luck in figuring out what is wrong.
@ jsmitt6 Appreciate the straight forward response… with respect to the 338 SS it's that type of response I'm looking for - this isn't a gotcha expedition I'm on - I'm looking for evidence I can present to Derek of sherman wildcats determine what is occurring.

I do appreciate people trying to help but I'm only looking for people who had this experience with the 338 SS for the reason mentioned.

Fact is and I've stated for others previously - I can run this thing at 2600-2800+ fps and still get .006 expansion at the web which in turn splits the die with a hair line crack at the mouth. 2600 fps is what my 35 Whelen does with a 225 accubond so there would be no reason to adopt a 22" 338SS if it can only produce 35 Whelen performance… the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

I'm repeating myself at this point but I've enlisted many experts on this problem including the Hornady engineer who makes the 338 SS dies. ADG is inspecting some fired brass. The chamber reamer and bore have all been inspected and found in tolerance.

I just sent the barreled action and some virgin brass off today to sherman wildcats to give Derek a go at it.

It's a real puzzle for sure … but I certainly didn't sign up for 35/Whelen performance either.

What are the load specs for the round that caused the brass to expand .006" at the web?

What is the pressure of the load? Extremely high?
you do realize in one of my screenshots I'm quoting Rich in a post to "you" about what the 338 SS is capable of right ?

My point is why haven't you posted to me what results you got out of your 22" barrel ?
IMG_0586.jpeg

I read all 5 pages.

You are asking a bunch of men who are genetically dispositioned to solve problems if they've had a problem with splitting dies and 6thou case growth in a 338SS, but won't tell us what your load is that could be potentially causing your problem? I don't understand why you won't divulge the powder and charge weight you are using to get your current results. But it looks as if you are trying to establish fault or liability and not just asking a question or trying to solve a problem.

I don't see how any of YOUR issues are the fault of Rich Sherman. Rich is a pretty smart guy who knows that to stay in the wildcat game you cannot embellish velocities just to sell reamers.....at least not for long. I think YOUR issues are due to whatever load YOU are using in the components YOU have selected to use.

2850fps with a 26" barreled 338SS is going to be upper pressure but useable. If you are getting the velocities you mentioned in post #19 out of a 22" barrel then you could have already wrecked that brass to the point its weak enough to grow at your 2600fps charge assuming you are reloading that particular brass.

Have you tried a different lot of fresh brass? One where you start off with a low charge to toughen up the brass before ramping up to higher charges? Are you seeing any other pressure signs?

Phil Rizzo had a 6.5max in a barrel from a company in Wisconsin that could have probably been used as a 257cal barrel! Speeds were on par with 6.5sst numbers and pressure came quick. Problem was fixed with a barrel swap. It wasn't the cartridge it was the components.

I see that you got the barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks. Was it a prefit or a blank? You mentioned that the reamer was measured by a 3rd party so I don't know if you own the reamer or who cut the chamber. Companies are known for finding no fault in their products and passing the blame.

Derek Webster is a solid guy and if it has something to do with anything being "sherman wildcat" related he will fix it.

I am in full conversation with ADG, Rich and Derek over this and I wanted to give them evidence that my situation is not a one off occurrence so THEY may have more data points to figure out the problem. I was simply looking for guys who actually had a 338 SS with the issues I highlighted in my OP.

I am in full conversation with ADG, Rich and Derek over this and I wanted to give them evidence that my situation is not a one off occurrence so THEY may have more data points to figure out the problem. I was simply looking for guys who actually had a 338 SS with the issues I highlighted in my OP.

Obviously, if you are getting .006" expansion and cracking dies, something is wrong. Could be barrel (more than likely in my opinion), could be the chambering job (another huge possibility and still part of the barrel problem), could be reloading issues (I don't know you or your experience so don't take offence), could be a brass lot issue (but even then, to get that much expansion would still seem to be a chambering issue).

My suggestion: Bite the bullet and rebarrel. Buy another die. Call it a day and leave the frustration behind. Not worth it.

Or accept the fact you are not going to hit 2800fps in your configuration and load it lighter. I don't think any animal is going to know the difference between 2800fps and 2650fps MV when a 230gr .338"
I read all 5 pages.

You are asking a bunch of men who are genetically dispositioned to solve problems if they've had a problem with splitting dies and 6thou case growth in a 338SS, but won't tell us what your load is that could be potentially causing your problem? I don't understand why you won't divulge the powder and charge weight you are using to get your current results. But it looks as if you are trying to establish fault or liability and not just asking a question or trying to solve a problem.

I don't see how any of YOUR issues are the fault of Rich Sherman. Rich is a pretty smart guy who knows that to stay in the wildcat game you cannot embellish velocities just to sell reamers.....at least not for long. I think YOUR issues are due to whatever load YOU are using in the components YOU have selected to use.

2850fps with a 26" barreled 338SS is going to be upper pressure but useable. If you are getting the velocities you mentioned in post #19 out of a 22" barrel then you could have already wrecked that brass to the point its weak enough to grow at your 2600fps charge assuming you are reloading that particular brass.

Have you tried a different lot of fresh brass? One where you start off with a low charge to toughen up the brass before ramping up to higher charges? Are you seeing any other pressure signs?

Phil Rizzo had a 6.5max in a barrel from a company in Wisconsin that could have probably been used as a 257cal barrel! Speeds were on par with 6.5sst numbers and pressure came quick. Problem was fixed with a barrel swap. It wasn't the cartridge it was the components.

I see that you got the barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks. Was it a prefit or a blank? You mentioned that the reamer was measured by a 3rd party so I don't know if you own the reamer or who cut the chamber. Companies are known for finding no fault in their products and passing the blame.

Derek Webster is a solid guy and if it has something to do with anything being "sherman wildcat" related he will fix it.

@ Duckman11 Ironically getting lectured by several people while they ignore my OP is priceless. I specially asked those three questions to avoid long drawn out responses from forum members. The only person that comprehended my questions was jsmitt6 and he actually had a 338SS.

BOTTOM LINE: if you have or (had) a 338SS, if you have experienced .006 expansion with ADG brass at the web and you have split dies trying to resize that expansion - I would like to hear from you.

It sounds unreasonable to me. $$2750 for a barrel, reamer, chamber, dies, and brass? is everything coming from a singe source?
it was the price of admission and not all from one source

CFW barrel $850
338 SS B/ version reamer from Rich $350
B/ version Dies from Rich $200
Gunsmith chamber work and threaded for a can $500
200 pieces of brass from Rich $500
500 ELDX's $350

I won't even list what I have spent trying to figure out the problem

Jumping in on this to see what the final issue is. For fire-forming my brass (non 40 deg stuff) I use 60 grns of RL-17 and the 230 ELDx. That yielded an average velocity of 2711 fps out of a 24" 1 in 9.4" proof carbon. Haven't ran the 230s in formed brass.
My hunting loads are 63.6 grns of RL-17 and the 213 hammer at 2940fps. I'm on at least load #3 on the brass without any issues so far.

Of note my 25SST is a good bit slower than most people on here. On average I'd say it's 100-150fps slower. I just assume it's a slow barrel. It was one of Bartleins first carbon ones when they initially came out with them in 2020. It's so accurate I just stick with the 25-06 velocities.

Mad10, just for curiosity, how much are you bumping the shoulder back when
Phil while I appreciate your question at this point I'm not interested in going down rabbit holes trying to figure out what is wrong

I literally have had hour plus long conversations with Whidden Redding Hornady die engineer Zermatt Arms PBBs ADG all using hi tech measuring devices on the brass chamber reamer and bore

Im simply looking for other 338 SS adopters and their experience to help Derek and ADG figure out the problem.