300gn elite hunters and 300 OTMs

Ryeguy

Anyone shot these side by side? Say if you have a load for the EH's and use same load for the OTMs do they shoot the same? I see the OTMs BC is a bit higher but other than that they measure the exact same as far as I can measure (OAL & Ogive)
Im low on EHs and can only get OTMs and need to get some shooting in before a hunt and don't want to use up my last EHs. I will test this weekend, just wanted to check to see others experience.

I have no close range experience with the OTM, they are NOT a bullet I recommend on large deer, elk or moose.
I had them fail to expand and tumble, break apart or just tumble upon entry and blow up.
Have had same issue in both 30 cal and 338 cal. Sure, my cartridge is fast, 3400fps in 230g and 3200fps in 300g, but this performance at 700+ metres is dismal.

The EH is a far better game bullet. YMMV.

Cheers.

Oh, and yes, the tips were clean and were trimmed, for those that will ask.

Anyone shot these side by side? Say if you have a load for the EH's and use same load for the OTMs do they shoot the same? I see the OTMs BC is a bit higher but other than that they measure the exact same as far as I can measure (OAL & Ogive)
Im low on EHs and can only get OTMs and need to get some shooting in before a hunt and don't want to use up my last EHs. I will test this weekend, just wanted to check to see others experience.
I had the same issue and had to use the OTM for practice. There was no difference. I found velocity the same with the lab radar and point of impact was the same out to 1000 yards. As was stated in this thread I would not use them for hun, just for practice. I sure hope they get the supply issue addressed for the EH! I need some. Good luck on your hunt

IIRC, guys at LRO have a couple of Safari hunts with success using the OTMs.