30-30 for elk?

The marlin levers in 308 marlin and 338 are nice lever options with a little more punch. I like having the right tool for the job. My cousins kids shoot a lot of whitetail with 223 and sometimes it isn't pretty and sometimes they drop. If you hunt woods with short shots that 30/30 will likely work but a little extra range and pop is nice.

No luck tonight but always spectacular views.

Attachments

• IMG_5144.jpeg
    IMG_5144.jpeg
    621.4 KB · Views: 32
I'm planning on hunting this deer season with my old Glenfield model 30A 30-30. I have other modern rifles, but the lever gun is so much lighter and easier to handle. Takes me back to my younger days when things were a lot simpler.

Took my 30-30 out for an evening of deer hunting and as things go, I located a decent buck at 1200 yards. Without enough time to descend to and climb the next ridge over he sat on, I enjoyed the evening and just watched him the next 2 hours of light.
It sure was fun packing that little levergun with me though.

Attachments

• IMG_5273.jpeg
    IMG_5273.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 3
As soon as I get off work, I'm taking my 11 year old to do a lil shooting…. Youth weekend is next Saturday and he's been using a 300 AAC blackout when hunting with me from a stand…. He's been asking about shooting my old Winchester 94 30-30
I think we're gonna see what he thinks about shooting the rifle I killed my first buck with at 10 years old all by myself (my dad let me sit about 200 yds away in a home made brush blind). I'll post up a couple pictures of it when I get home and of me when I was a lil fella… half of our hunting friends used 30-30 in the last 80's - early 90's , the other half fought over which was better the 270 Winchester or 30-06.

Recent Posts