300 WSM

Hey Sock,
I've been working with 165 Power Hammers, and I topped out at 2920fps. I don't know how realistic it is but was hoping to goose another 100fps or so out of her with a powder change.
This is my first attempt at load development to compensate for a short barrel length.
I think I've got some Big Game kicking around.

Thanks for your input!
Good Morning , Just a little FYI for your Loading Data needs , awesome web side as you can pick and choose different powders and bullet grain weight at the same time looking at the FPS too. Its the only web site I use now / Hope this helps .Alan Thomas

I, too, have very good luck with MagPro on my .300 WSM and with a variety of chamberings. RL-17 is another. As with everything else, YMMV. I am propelling 215 Berger at 2850 FPS out of 22" barrel using RL-17. If you run the numbers to 1000 yards, it is no slouch.
Feenix,

I'm running H4831SC, Berger 215 and getting about 2715FPS. The case is 99-100% or more filled. Was wondering how you are case capacity wise with the RL-17 and what about temp sensitivity as I shoot/hunt from 90 to 5 degrees above. I've been toying with the idea of a second powder. Are you using Magnum or standard large rifle primers. Thanks!!

I see a lot of guys saying mag pro, I never tried it due to its temperature instability. it's like 1 fps per degree, right? Are you guys seeing a 1 fps per degree change like what is stated in most charts?
When I go out west to WY, it's like 20° at sun up and 55° at noon, a lot of the time. That's about a 35 fps swing in bullet speed with mag pro, compared to about 12 fps with RL16, and H4350 would only be about 4 fps.
Yeah AB or any good app will adjust for this but if your using a dope card, not so good. RL16, H4350, H4831sc and H1000 are the only powders I use in my hunting rifles. My 2c is if H4350 is doing great at about max in your set up, stick with it. A little bit of speed is not worth inconsistency from temp instability.

Feenix,

I'm running H4831SC, Berger 215 and getting about 2715FPS. The case is 99-100% or more filled. Was wondering how you are case capacity wise with the RL-17 and what about temp sensitivity as I shoot/hunt from 90 to 5 degrees above. I've been toying with the idea of a second powder. Are you using Magnum or standard large rifle primers. Thanks!!
Sorry, I do not know the actual fill ratio. I use magnum primers. I have been using RL-17 for 10 years now without any issues. The temp differences between when I do load development and the temp hunting environment is 20-30 degrees cooler.

ADDED:

I ran into a QL query online on 300 WSM and 215 Berger; useable case capacity is 73.046g H20; 63.2g of RL-17 = 89.4 % fill, 100% propellant burnt.

Last edited:
I switched from RL-17 to RL-16 in my .300 WSM, due to temperature stability. I develop loads in temps from 70 to 100 degrees in S. AZ and hunt in MT at 0 to 60 degrees. I have had the best accuracy with bullet weights from 180 to 200 gr. My best load is a 180 gr Hammer Hunter, 64,4 gr, 3030 fps, Mod 70 Win.

Sorry, I do not know the actual fill ratio. I use magnum primers. I have been using RL-17 for 10 years now without any issues. The temp differences between when I do load development and the temp hunting environment is 20-30 degrees cooler.

What about case fill and pressure signs? I'll be shooting out of a 26"barrel with an 8" suppressor.

Edit - failed to see your fill remark.

I've got a short barrel (16.5") Scout Rifle in 300 WSM I loaded with H4350.
I maxed out on velocity and case capacity without reaching any pressure signs.
Need a faster powder?
Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, Dave.
My favorite powders for the 300 WSM are Reloder 16 and 17. Both give me great velocities and accuracy.

I shoot the 162 Absolute Hammers, 22" 9 twist proof, 32?? fps, H4350, I don't remember exact charge. I had them faster with other powders but this one shot great and I have an abundance of H4350

I've done load testing on a chrono with my 20 inch ruger with 168 gr Berger hunter Hybrid using h 100V, Superformance, and ramshot Hunter. They all top over 3000 fps in accuracy loads. Using say 69 grains of ramshot hunter, H 100V with 67.2 gr. with just large rifle primers. Hunts with 168 - 175 grain max. I just don't thing I have the case volume or barrel length to use heavier. I'm also a 308 W person with an AR10 for pig hunting. the 300 WSM is just a cut above and I actually sold it to a friend who wanted a light carry rifle and I load for him now

As new powders came out I bought them for burning cleaner, higher velocity, and less temp problems. Have not used 4350's in 25 years

Good Morning, I am just curious about the reach for extra velocity out of a short barrel rifle with the case already at max capacity? Seldom does extremely high velocity result in the best accuracy. More powder is seldom the answer, especially when the case is at 100% and dealing with such a short barrel. If you were to shoot the firearm and watch from the side you will invariably see a large plume muzzle flash. That is powder burning outside of the barrel where it will do absolutely no good. Short barrels are a trade off, ease if handling for a lesser muzzle velocity. If you want to increase the MV then try a lighter bullet, or better yet quit the search for a higher velocity and turn your search toward accuracy. A bullet hitting exactly where you want it is more valuable to a hunter than one that goes fast but doesn't hit its mark.
Thank you for these comments Teri. Your someone that is taking a more realistic approach to shooting...Accuracy! I know that Hammer bullets do really well at faster speeds however and I agree that you can speed them up and peel the brass off a bullet but if you can't hold a tight group then speed doesn't do you much good. For example, just this last aug my 14 yr old g-son drew a cow elk (1of10tags) youth hunt on in the snake river unit(Or). Using a 125gr HHT Hammer w/39.7gr of H4350 at about 2700fps using a Tika T3 6.5 Creedmoor harvested his cow at 280 yds with one shot. My son harvested a bear at 425 yds with one shot too with a Browning 6.5. I've been reloading and shooting for 57 years and (age73) and have always shot for accuracy, not speed. By the way, when we sighted both rifles in when working up the load, at 100 yds both had 3-shot groups with the bullet holes kissing each other in the bullseye so I just thought I would leave the load alone. Thank you for you comments!

Magnum case, Slow powder Short barrel and High velocity do not fit together.
Most magnum cartridges are developed with 26" barrels. For ease of handling some want a 24" barrel. Giving up 50 to 100 ft foot per second, For those 2 inches.

Cutting a barrel near 10" from original development barrel length could mean a near 500 fps loss. That would be very hard to recover.
Be very interesting to set up a camera in the dark at 90 degrees to muzzle, Open shutter set up and see what the flash looks like.

I appreciate the input & conversation on the subject.

This rifle happens to be a Factory built Ruger Frontier. I didn't whack 10" of barrel off one. It's kind of an oddball but something unique to play with that fits a niche in my hunting rifle lineup.

In addition to "Gun Love", Shooting & Hunting, I really enjoy the work of developing loads that achieve an optimum combination of accuracy & performance in my rifles. That's all my original post is about.

As is, terminal performance will be more than adequate, and I'm happy with the consistent sub-0.5 moa it's shooting.

If I come up with any noteworthy results from my work, I'll be sure to share with the group.

Dave-

Recent Posts