300 WSM

Hey Sock,
I've been working with 165 Power Hammers, and I topped out at 2920fps. I don't know how realistic it is but was hoping to goose another 100fps or so out of her with a powder change.
This is my first attempt at load development to compensate for a short barrel length.
I think I've got some Big Game kicking around.

Thanks for your input!
Good Morning , Just a little FYI for your Loading Data needs , awesome web side as you can pick and choose different powders and bullet grain weight at the same time looking at the FPS too. Its the only web site I use now / Hope this helps .Alan Thomas

I, too, have very good luck with MagPro on my .300 WSM and with a variety of chamberings. RL-17 is another. As with everything else, YMMV. I am propelling 215 Berger at 2850 FPS out of 22" barrel using RL-17. If you run the numbers to 1000 yards, it is no slouch.
Feenix,

I'm running H4831SC, Berger 215 and getting about 2715FPS. The case is 99-100% or more filled. Was wondering how you are case capacity wise with the RL-17 and what about temp sensitivity as I shoot/hunt from 90 to 5 degrees above. I've been toying with the idea of a second powder. Are you using Magnum or standard large rifle primers. Thanks!!

I see a lot of guys saying mag pro, I never tried it due to its temperature instability. it's like 1 fps per degree, right? Are you guys seeing a 1 fps per degree change like what is stated in most charts?
When I go out west to WY, it's like 20° at sun up and 55° at noon, a lot of the time. That's about a 35 fps swing in bullet speed with mag pro, compared to about 12 fps with RL16, and H4350 would only be about 4 fps.
Yeah AB or any good app will adjust for this but if your using a dope card, not so good. RL16, H4350, H4831sc and H1000 are the only powders I use in my hunting rifles. My 2c is if H4350 is doing great at about max in your set up, stick with it. A little bit of speed is not worth inconsistency from temp instability.

Feenix,

I'm running H4831SC, Berger 215 and getting about 2715FPS. The case is 99-100% or more filled. Was wondering how you are case capacity wise with the RL-17 and what about temp sensitivity as I shoot/hunt from 90 to 5 degrees above. I've been toying with the idea of a second powder. Are you using Magnum or standard large rifle primers. Thanks!!
Sorry, I do not know the actual fill ratio. I use magnum primers. I have been using RL-17 for 10 years now without any issues. The temp differences between when I do load development and the temp hunting environment is 20-30 degrees cooler.

ADDED:

I ran into a QL query online on 300 WSM and 215 Berger; useable case capacity is 73.046g H20; 63.2g of RL-17 = 89.4 % fill, 100% propellant burnt.

Last edited:
I switched from RL-17 to RL-16 in my .300 WSM, due to temperature stability. I develop loads in temps from 70 to 100 degrees in S. AZ and hunt in MT at 0 to 60 degrees. I have had the best accuracy with bullet weights from 180 to 200 gr. My best load is a 180 gr Hammer Hunter, 64,4 gr, 3030 fps, Mod 70 Win.

Sorry, I do not know the actual fill ratio. I use magnum primers. I have been using RL-17 for 10 years now without any issues. The temp differences between when I do load development and the temp hunting environment is 20-30 degrees cooler.

What about case fill and pressure signs? I'll be shooting out of a 26"barrel with an 8" suppressor.

Edit - failed to see your fill remark.

I've got a short barrel (16.5") Scout Rifle in 300 WSM I loaded with H4350.
I maxed out on velocity and case capacity without reaching any pressure signs.
Need a faster powder?
Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, Dave.
My favorite powders for the 300 WSM are Reloder 16 and 17. Both give me great velocities and accuracy.

I shoot the 162 Absolute Hammers, 22" 9 twist proof, 32?? fps, H4350, I don't remember exact charge. I had them faster with other powders but this one shot great and I have an abundance of H4350